The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Daaaaaamn, you're right, but how did you know that Oxford don't do that?
Reply 181
:confused:
2nd year - General pathology and microbiology
3rd year option - Infection & immunity
Reply 182
sTe\/o
Daaaaaamn, you're right, but how did you know that Oxford don't do that?

i heard you say it somewhere
Reply 183
Elles, I'm pretty sure that parasitology (e.g. worms) doesn't feature in the preclinical course at Oxford, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. Final Honours School doesn't count btw, as by the same token I could claim that Cambridge medics learn engineering, law, french, etc. even though most of them don't.

(I only know this because people were saying on the tropical diseases day that none of those organisms had come up in preclinical, and they usually are covered in parasitology.)
Reply 184
Everything has blurred slightly into year1-2-3-4. :redface: But I'm pretty sure we did some*, if not as much as you.

edit - *First BM Part II syllabus, Page 50, 36 - Parasitology.
But the amount individuals will have done might be quite variable because more content is on the extension than core side.
Reply 185
So, did they teach things like the anatomy and life cycles of the different parasites, the way each subverts the immune response, the mechanism of action of the drugs used against them, etc.? I'm not trying to be pedantic, but just trying to ascertain whether it was covered in any meaningful way, or whether it was just one or two lectures. Sorry for spreading something that wasn't true btw; I genuinely thought there wasn't any parasitology in the preclinical course full stop, but I stand corrected.
The first US unis I became aware of were obviously 'the Ivies', though initially I didn't know which universities made up that group :redface: then I heard about the top ones, HYP, because the 'clever' people in movies etc went there to try and impress the audience, then I became aware of a few others through the media, including all the news reports about Nobel Prize winners etc.

I actually possibly knew of Stanford at the same time as Princeton (from Fresh Prince), because of that really tall girl from Saved by the Bell who was obsessed with it, I believe...

Until quite recently people in Britain didn't take much notice of unis in other countries because Oxbridge was overridingly always the goal of the top students here/private schoolers and is entrenched in our media and literature to a very high degree.

Now though, in part due to recruiters from across the Pond, more people are thinking about going to American unis (now that they know of scholarships whereby they only pay the equivalent of a British uni fee etc), though it's still a very small minority.
Two lectures - only Plasmodium and Leishmania are core. Brief treatment of life cycles, just a little on drugs.
People doing the infection\immunity option for 3rd year probably do more though.
Reply 188
I didn't realise you were a medic, Huw. Which year are you in? (I'm a 4th year)
it's overwhelmingly the people from very elite private schools who apply to the US, because the process can be very difficult to start without your school's support (how the hell do I take SATs?!) and because the costs can seem impossible, I've still never heard of any scholarships that will fund a UK student through a US university, although I hear Harvard is needs blind even for int'l students so I suppose that's one.
^^ Agree, when I was applying i just got blank stares when I was speaking to my school higher education co-ordinators/officers about applying to the US.
not
I've had QUITE ENOUGH OF YOUR VASSAR BASHING YOUNG LADY

I've had JUST ABOUT enough of your Vassar bashing, young lady! :wink:

A perfectly cromulent quotation...
It's extremely esay to sit for SATs, just go to Collegeboard.com and you'll find the nearest location to you. I went to one in Kingston on Thames.

As to applying, it's also simple enough, though rather annoying due to many forms...But it can be done online...I can't help but semi-snear at the difference in how they wish to rate you but it's perfectly valid (grudgingly :wink: )

It was reported not too long ago that top US unis had decided to charge top British applicants only what they would have to pay to go to a British uni...Not sure how many unis, but Yale was one of them...As to Harvard, if you're good enough and have little money they'll give oyu loadsa money ala Laura Spence
Reply 193
Oxford has a better gay scene...and better gays.
Yes and Cam has a better straight scene and better straights (lol) except for Peterhouse of course.
Reply 195
Well I would actually wager that there are far more gay people in Cambridge judging from the fellow applicants from my school and knowing a little bit about it vast hordes of alumni. There's something slightly ineffectual and limp-wristed about the Cam gays, though. Oxford appears a far more red-blooded enviroment. There are, of course, gay people, but they seem far more dominant and confident. I mean, you need to be a player of the pink oboe just to be considered for the Cambridge apostles.
Reply 196
Cambridge has a reputation for being gay-friendly, not for being full of gay people (which may or may not be true).
Stanford - mentioned on Angel - thats where Conor studies.
HYP, Columbia,Duke, Oxford , Norwestern, MIT,Wesleyan - Mentioned in Buffy (willow + buffy get accepted there).
Brown - family guy, malcolm in the middle,the OC.
Harvard - family guy + malcolm in the middle.

all the references to US unis i remeber seeing in TV shows :smile:
Reply 198
in that hillary duff film... a cinderella story.

it's all about her getting to princeton with chad michael murray

i love that episode of family guy when brian goes to brown, and at the american football match it's "Brown vs Board of Education" (48 - 0 or something)
It's true, I'm a rubbish gay. I've been threatened with having my homosexuality revoked by the Big Gay Committee.

Latest

Trending

Trending