Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who are the top 8 squads in europe. List the order. Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's worth noting that squads in Spain are typically quite small because Barcelona, Real and Athletico know they can field their youth team against the dross you find in the lower half of that division. If we're talking about SQUADS then that needs to be taken into account. Premier league teams have a lot more depth and versatility than what you find in other leagues (perhaps not the Bundesliga), though their starting 11 suffers accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    Psg have a better squad than Atletico. Squad means individual players and depth in positions. Atletico's system under Simeone makes the squad very useable but in terms of individual players who are 'world class' Psg has more of them. Ibra, Silva, Cavani, Lavezzi and even Luiz to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oscar11)
    Psg have a better squad than Atletico. Squad means individual players and depth in positions. Atletico's system under Simeone makes the squad very useable but in terms of individual players who are 'world class' Psg has more of them. Ibra, Silva, Cavani, Lavezzi and even Luiz to a certain extent.
    Loool Luiz is not world class. I'm a Chelsea fan and us dropping him from the CB position was the best decision we've ever made, he's a good CM when we're closing down games as he's got energy and a decent pass.

Lavezzi is not world class, his shot conversion rate is pathetic for a winger, he's very overrated.

Ibra, Silva and Cavani are world class. But Juanfran arguably is, Godin is clearly world class, Miranda is possibly too. Koke is on his way to becoming world class but is still potential atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Loool Luiz is not world class. I'm a Chelsea fan and us dropping him from the CB position was the best decision we've ever made, he's a good CM when we're closing down games as he's got energy and a decent pass.

Lavezzi is not world class, his shot conversion rate is pathetic for a winger, he's very overrated.

Ibra, Silva and Cavani are world class. But Juanfran arguably is, Godin is clearly world class, Miranda is possibly too. Koke is on his way to becoming world class but is still potential atm.
    I'm a chelsea fan too but that doesn't make my opinion any more or less valid. Luiz can be argued as world class to a certain extent - yes a liability on occasion but he has a lot of ability a world class centre back no but a world class footballer yes. Lavezzi is somewhat overrated yes but arguably world class too. Imo at Atletico only Godin and Turan can have a valid argument as being world class. Koke in the future maybe but not right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    1. Bayern Munich
    2. Barcelona
    3. Real Madrid
    4. Juventus
    5. Manchester City
    6. Chelsea
    7. PSG
    8. Athletico Madrid.
    Why Juve so high?

I feel like their ****e Champions League performance in contrast to their total domination at home shows how far the Italian league has fallen, I don't reckon they're in the top 10.

Pogba and Vidal are sick (and Pirlo is a legend) but other than that...

They have some decent CBs i guess (although I think Chiellini is overrated) and Tevez and Llorente are decent but a bit passed their prime.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a chelsea fan too but that doesn't make my opinion any more or less valid. Luiz can be argued as world class to a certain extent - yes a liability on occasion but he has a lot of ability a world class centre back no but a world class footballer yes. Lavezzi is somewhat overrated yes but arguably world class too. Imo at Atletico only Godin and Turan can have a valid argument as being world class. Koke in the future maybe but not right now.
    Lavezzi is not world class. He is good for big games because he is quick and a good dribbler but his shot conversion rate for a forward is terrible. He's not been the same since his Napoli days.

David Luiz is overrated as a footballer. He wasn't even the best ball playing defender in our team, Terry is. Luiz just runs forward and hits a bunch of long balls until one eventually finds it's man. I've lost count of the amount of long balls he's done to Torres that never reaches him. He gets away because he's seen as a defensive player who roams forward. Also since he scores one of every 40 free kicks with a banger he's seen as a great free kick taker. He is one of the most overrated players in world football. Was great for big games due to his presence and energy and because he wasn't as **** as Ramires in retaining possession.

Juanfran, name me 5 better RBs than him in world football? I can name Lahm at best, Alves on his day is as good as Lahm but he's been pretty poor the past year or so so shouldn't even be top 3 and Lukas Piczhek. After that it's Juanfran.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Miranda is certainly world class, Big Phil was just too blind to see it. Mandzukic's goal record speaks for itself. Griezemann scoring 16 La Liga goals last season puts him in touching distance of that label, and Koke is great too; both are better than Luiz in my books, people always talk about what a good footballer but bad CB he is but technique means almost nothing if you can't play your role effectively.

So I'd say Atleti have Godin Miranda Turan and Mandzukic as definites, Griezemann and Koke as maybe/nearly. Also I suspect that Gabi would be considered world class if he came from a country with less ridicolous cms, and Cerci is a handy little player.

ReputationRep:
    Lavezzi is not world class. He is good for big games because he is quick and a good dribbler but his shot conversion rate for a forward is terrible. He's not been the same since his Napoli days.

David Luiz is overrated as a footballer. He wasn't even the best ball playing defender in our team, Terry is. Luiz just runs forward and hits a bunch of long balls until one eventually finds it's man. I've lost count of the amount of long balls he's done to Torres that never reaches him. He gets away because he's seen as a defensive player who roams forward. Also since he scores one of every 40 free kicks with a banger he's seen as a great free kick taker. He is one of the most overrated players in world football. Was great for big games due to his presence and energy and because he wasn't as **** as Ramires in retaining possession.

Juanfran, name me 5 better RBs than him in world football? I can name Lahm at best, Alves on his day is as good as Lahm but he's been pretty poor the past year or so so shouldn't even be top 3 and Lukas Piczhek. After that it's Juanfran.
    Even Lukas piszcek has been pretty bad since his injury definitely not better then Juanfran. Alves on his day maybe but those kind of performances are few and far between. Juanfran is definitely top 5

ReputationRep:

Juanfran is good, but I'd say Zabaleta and Ivanovic might be better.

ReputationRep:
    Atlético are severely underrated...
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Even Lukas piszcek has been pretty bad since his injury definitely not better then Juanfran. Alves on his day maybe but those kind of performances are few and far between. Juanfran is definitely top 5
    True but before hand he was just below Lahms level.

But yes Juanfran is definitely world class. Funny how Real Madrid produce so many good right backs from the youth system. Arbeloa, Juanfran and Carvajal in the past 15 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrassHi)
    Juanfran is good, but I'd say Zabaleta and Ivanovic might be better.
    Ivanovic lol hell no. Good start to the season but his crossing is still mediocre, he can't dribble his way out when he gets to the byline and is marked. He does this every season anyway and scores loads of goals then becomes solid defensively and **** attacking wise where he takes loads of shots outside the box as he doesn't have the capability to do anything else.

Zabaleta is a decent shout, consistent but tbh his attacking quality isn't amazing when you compare to Kolarov on the left hand side.

ReputationRep:

While Terry's passing may be equally as effective as Luiz but half as flamboyant there is one department that Luiz excelled in. His ability to change a game at the flick of a switch is very rare and especially for a centre back which is why I feel he is a WC footballer. For instance see the game against Fulham.

Lavezzi has all of the attributes to be described as a very good borderline world class winger. Creating, assisting and tracking back.

I would take Zabaleta, Lahm, Ivanovic and Alves over Juanfran. Maybe even Azpilicueta.

ReputationRep:
    While Terry's passing may be equally as effective as Luiz but half as flamboyant there is one department that Luiz excelled in. His ability to change a game at the flick of a switch is very rare and especially for a centre back which is why I feel he is a WC footballer. For instance see the game against Fulham.

Lavezzi has all of the attributes to be described as a very good borderline world class winger. Creating, assisting and tracking back.

I would take Zabaleta, Lahm, Ivanovic and Alves over Juanfran. Maybe even Azpilicueta.
    The game against Fulham he just scored a shot from long range.

Ain't bothered to write about it again but Luiz is an overrated ball playing CB, made a pretty long post on him in the Chelsea thread if somebody is bothered enough to find it they'll show him.

Will point to the game vs Blackburn 2 years ago where Terry ran half the pitch and scored a header from a Lukaku cross if you want other examples of that.

Lavezzi has 23 goals and 18 assists in 90 appearances. Ok but nothing amazing. Especially when you consider that he got 11 assists and 12 goals in 60 appearances in the league. He gets 1 in 5 for goals to games and assists to games which is pretty poor for a WC winger. See Di Maria and Reus e.g. in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Atlético are severely underrated...

True but before hand he was just below Lahms level.

But yes Juanfran is definitely world class. Funny how Real Madrid produce so many good right backs from the youth system. Arbeloa, Juanfran and Carvajal in the past 15 years.
    Agreed. Piszcek was getting there before he got injured but right now hes really far from the level he was at. Only player who I would definitely put above Juanfran is Lahm thats it.

ReputationRep:
    The game against Fulham he just scored a shot from long range.

Ain't bothered to write about it again but Luiz is an overrated ball playing CB, made a pretty long post on him in the Chelsea thread if somebody is bothered enough to find it they'll show him.

Will point to the game vs Blackburn 2 years ago where Terry ran half the pitch and scored a header from a Lukaku cross if you want other examples of that.

Lavezzi has 23 goals and 18 assists in 90 appearances. Ok but nothing amazing. Especially when you consider that he got 11 assists and 12 goals in 60 appearances in the league. He gets 1 in 5 for goals to games and assists to games which is pretty poor for a WC winger. See Di Maria and Reus e.g. in comparison.
    Yeah but how many other CB's are capable of producing a moment like that when the team needed it? An overrated centre back yes overrated footballer no.

There's more to analysing a players game than sinply stats.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I did not put Atlético's squad top. I just put it above PSG unless somebody else put it in the thread.

It doesn't matter about Mandzukic vs Costa as they've got Griezmann to replace Villa (he's played up top a couple of games) and then Raul Gimenez+Angel Correa(Correa is highly rated in Argentina) to add depth so arguably more depth in attack than last season.
    Somebody did and I'm pretty sure I replied to that person. Since the big debate seems to be with regards to PSG, I'll make one more post about it and if you still think Atleti then that's fine by me.

GKs:

AM: Moya, Oblak
    PSG: Sirigu, Douchez

Defs:

AM: Godin, Juanfran, Miranda, Gamez, Siqueira, Gimenez
    PSG: Silva, Luiz, Marquinhos, Van Der Wiel, Digne, Aurier, Camara

Mids:

AM: Koke, Turan, Suarez, Griezemann, Tiago, Rodriguez, Cerci
    PSG: Motta, Lucas, Verratti, Cabaye, Rabiot, Pastore, Matuidi, Lavezzi

Strikers:

AM: Mandzukic, Jimenez
    PSG: Ibrahimovic, Cavani, Bahebeck

For me, Gk is PSG by far, defence is Atleti in quality but PSG a lot better on overall depth, midfield is a similar story but closer to a tie in quality, strikers are PSG by a mile.

But if you still think Atleti then I won't argue with you and respect your opinion.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Also, as a Bayern fan, Mandzukic is not world class. He was a decent player at Wolfsburg who had the luxury of Robben, Ribery, Kroos and Gotze at Bayern. He is a very good striker, with a great work ethic, but is not world class by any means.

Also, as a Bayern fan, no full back in the world is on Lahm's level.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but how many other CB's are capable of producing a moment like that when the team needed it? An overrated centre back yes overrated footballer no.

There's more to analysing a players game than sinply stats.
    And I showed that Terry has done that.

Danny Rose has done similar stuff to David Luiz. David Bentley scored a 40 yarder against Arsenal when Spurs needed it. That's your logic then I can just use that to the plethora of CBs who's scored important goals or any good long range strikes which are countless.

I wasn't only using stats when analysing his game, hence saying how his passing is overrated and constantly causes us to lose possession by doing long passes for no reason that don't even reach it's man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    GK: United
    CB: Arsenal
    FB: United
    CM: Arsenal
    CAM: United
    Wingers: Arsenal
    Forwards: United

4-3 m8 umad?
    Full back Utd?

Top banter m8. Gibbs and Debuchy would walk into Utd's team over Valencia and Rafail, and fatty Shaw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Full back Utd?

Top banter m8. Gibbs and Debuchy would walk into Utd's team over Valencia and Rafail, and fatty Shaw.
    I said that when you had no RB

But Shaw > Gibbs, Debuchy = Rafael

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.