Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Then what is? The socially entrenched notions of which universities are traditionally good? Get on with the times.

The snobbery and lack of need to explain oneself in this thread is too damn high!
    League tables mean nothing, least of all the Guardian. You do know what the Guardian et al base their "results" from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    League tables mean nothing, least of all the Guardian. You do know what the Guardian et al base their "results" from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is total hogwash. You are criticizing the same methodology that has Oxbridge et al at the top of the table. The rankings suddenly become unreliable because they have other non-traditionally elite universities in the top 10, too?

I think that speaks more of your prejudice that it does anything else. Which is why I keep emphasizing, ''get with the times'', it's supposed to be a hint.

The traditional heavyweights are in fact being caught up by a few modern institutions of educations.

Also, to discredit NSS is absolute rubbish. That's like saying ''doesn't matter what the students feel about the education they are getting, I'll just maintain that the elite universities are the best''.

That sort of intellectual laziness does you no good at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpsP)
    Must have just come across different groups of people. I'm from up north maybe that plays a part? The london unis don't seem to be as prestigious around my parts, more so oxbridge, durham, and the top Scottish unis.
    perhaps

(Original post by teen1234)
    Prestige means f all in med/ dent/vet. In fact training places dont even know what university you went to. Yes prestige means everything in the other degrees since the degrees are not controlled by the same governing body - we dont even get degree classifications
    prestige is more than work its knowing your at the top of your game with the brightest minds in the country, its look on peoples faces when you flash that student card or the strength of your Alumni . If you want to tell me someone with a medicine degree from Aston will command the same respect as someone with the medicine degree from Kings when attending conferences or being introduced to consultants then I cant take that seriously.

anyway you all believe what you want to believe, im sticking to my list end of. no point arguing further

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    perhaps

prestige is more than work its knowing your at the top of your game with the brightest minds in the country, its look on peoples faces when you flash that student card or the strength of your Alumni . If you want to tell me someone with a medicine degree from Aston will command the same respect as someone with the medicine degree from Kings when attending conferences or being introduced to consultants then I cant take that seriously.

anyway you all believe what you want to believe, im sticking to my list end of. no point arguing further
    You do realise you can't study medicine at Aston. In fact only the Russell groups and a select few other universities teach medicine. There's only about twenty in the country.
    in addition consultants don't tend to discuss what uni they went to at conferences. They tend to discuss their current hospitals etc.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise you can't study medicine at Aston. In fact only the Russell groups and a select few other universities teach medicine. There's only about twenty in the country.
    in addition consultants don't tend to discuss what uni they went to at conferences. They tend to discuss their current hospitals etc.
    aston just announced they will open a medical school
    this thread bores me now bye everyone

ReputationRep:
    Kings isn't that prestigious

ReputationRep:
    Which won't be accredited for 5 years so obviously it's not currently very good. Also that looks similar to UCLANs med school which isn't actually a proper UCAS med school.
    Seriously until you study medicine and have any clue about medicine don't tell medics about prestige. It means nothing once you pull yourself out of that nice student bubble. If you're a rubbish doctor no one gives a damn if you studied at Oxford or kings. Tbh oxford produces poor clinical F1s due to the emphasis on research.
    If the one thing that you love about uni is the fact people think it's a good uni. You know probably got your priorities skewed for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Liverpool Hope University, and graduated with a 2:1 BA Combined Honours History & Politics. No doubt some people will look down on that.

I don't look down on any Uni's to be honest, waste of time. I wouldn't want to be the sort of pompous prat who went to Oxbridge/'a well respected' anyway, it works both ways.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps

Aston don't do medicine. The medical course that they've announced is a private medical school aka probably not accredited by the GMC and will be for internationals.

No, its exactly the same respect. Becoming a consultant has absolutely nothing to do with what university you graduated from. The entry requirements for medicine/dentistry/vet med courses are A*AA-AAA regardless of university. You dont have to be any smarter.
    You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about in terms of these courses and you are well out of your area of knowledge. You can find surgeons who graduated from less prestigious universities as much as you find those who graduated from more prestigious universities, why? Because it makes absolutely no difference.
    Im studying dentistry at plymouth in september, I got A*A*A in my a levels and 6A*s5As at GCSE - are you trying to tell me im any less intelligent or qualified than someone studying at kings?

ReputationRep:
    Which won't be accredited for 5 years so obviously it's not currently very good. Also that looks similar to UCLANs med school which isn't actually a proper UCAS med school.
    Seriously until you study medicine and have any clue about medicine don't tell medics about prestige. It means nothing once you pull yourself out of that nice student bubble. If you're a rubbish doctor no one gives a damn if you studied at Oxford or kings. Tbh oxford produces poor clinical F1s due to the emphasis on research.
    If the one thing that you love about uni is the fact people think it's a good uni. You know probably got your priorities skewed for medicine.
    Honestly that guy is an idiot beyond measure

ReputationRep:
    This is total hogwash. You are criticizing the same methodology that has Oxbridge et al at the top of the table. The rankings suddenly become unreliable because they have other non-traditionally elite universities in the top 10, too?

I think that speaks more of your prejudice that it does anything else. Which is why I keep emphasizing, ''get with the times'', it's supposed to be a hint.

The traditional heavyweights are in fact being caught up by a few modern institutions of educations.

Also, to discredit NSS is absolute rubbish. That's like saying ''doesn't matter what the students feel about the education they are getting, I'll just maintain that the elite universities are the best''.

That sort of intellectual laziness does you no good at all
    You really think Surrey is better than, London School of Economics, Durham, Warwick, Lancaster, UCL, Exeter?

That Heriot-Watt and UEA is superior to York, Birmingham and Edinburgh? Aston is some how more reputable and produces better graduates that Nottingham and SOAS? Coventry is better than Bristol and Manchester and Kings are mediocre at best? Get over yourself.

I'm very much with the times. You do realise other league tables say the complete opposite to the Guardian. That is why it is so unreliable. But no, some student from Surrey thinks he knows best.

League tables mean nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? None.

Everyone has their reasons for going to their choice of uni, I don't see why people should comment on the uni if you've never attended. If the universities 'frowned upon' were that bad, surely something would be done about them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)
    Yeah i know what you mean and imperial!!! imperial seem to think they are at the hardest uni ever when they basically just walked into offers. Noone understands the dental/medical school scenario like a dental/medical applicant one of the most streasfill things ever haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Um, what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    Honestly that guy is an idiot beyond measure
    It'd be like me going on about which universities are best for Drama. I have no clue cause I don't study it.
    Don't preach if you're ignorant on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    You really think Surrey is better than, London School of Economics, Durham, Warwick, Lancaster, UCL, Exeter?

That Heriot-Watt and UEA is superior to York, Birmingham and Edinburgh? Aston is some how more reputable and produces better graduates that Nottingham and SOAS? Coventry is better than Bristol and Manchester and Kings are mediocre at best? Get over yourself.

I'm very much with the times. You do realise other league tables say the complete opposite to the Guardian. That is why it is so unreliable. But no, some student from Surrey thinks he knows best.

League tables mean nothing.
    Absolutely, there is no reason to think that just because the traditional universities score highly on the RAE by attracting the best academics, that they produce better graduates. Great academics are not necessarily great professors.

You only discount league tables because of your denial that up and coming universities are producing graduates better than the traditional heavyweights. As for Durham, I have heard nightmare stories from students who have gone on to study there after graduating from Surrey.

I studied at an Ivy League institution following my Econ degree at Surrey, and I found that the rigour of the degree at Surrey prepared me very well to deal with the standard of work at an Ivy League institution. So anyone that tells me league tables don't mean anything don't hold any weight with me, given I'm speaking from experience and not preconceived notions that you find too difficult to evolve and adapt.

UCL could be producing total crap graduates next year and yet nobody would bat an eyelid because, well, UCL's reputation is what the graduates are riding on. But when up and coming universities start producing fantastic graduates, everyone goes ape**** (omg, how can that be? How can Surrey produce better graduates than UCL? NO WAY!). Double standards and snobbery to the max. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, there is no reason to think that just because the traditional universities score highly on the RAE by attracting the best academics, that they produce better graduates. Great academics are not necessarily great professors.

You only discount league tables because of your denial that up and coming universities are producing graduates better than the traditional heavyweights. As for Durham, I have heard nightmare stories from students who have gone on to study there after graduating from Surrey.

I studied at an Ivy League institution following my Econ degree at Surrey, and I found that the rigour of the degree at Surrey prepared me very well to deal with the standard of work at an Ivy League institution. So anyone that tells me league tables don't mean anything don't hold any weight with me, given I'm speaking from experience and not preconceived notions that you find too difficult to evolve and adapt.
    I assume you therefore think as I will be graduating from Manchester, I will be nothing more than a student from a mediocre University who has had mediocre teaching and so forth. :rolleyes:

You haven't actually given any evidence that Surrey is better than all these other traditional and reputable universities, you have just referenced the Guardian league table and then used anecdotal evidence. As I said, league tables mean nothing. LSE, Warwick, UCL etc are not crap universities, and Surrey is somehow superior to them all because of a simplistic methodology from a populist newspaper.

Guess I should scrap all my future plans of going to UCL for postgraduate, and apply to London met instead. Clearly better. In your view, UCL graduates are crap! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Um, what?
    I forgot imperial have interviews for some subjects! Just shows you its down to ignorance!!!! But yeah people i know who go there never and got offers straight away thsts all i meant

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)
    I forgot imperial have interviews for some subjects! Just shows you its down to ignorance!!!! But yeah people i know who go there never and got offers straight away thsts all i meant

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean by 'offers straight away'? No interviews?They still need to have a great academic record. You do know that it's hard to get in... There aren't many subjects with no interviews/admission tests.

ReputationRep:
    Staffordshire University. I live pretty close to it and I hate the area, it's awful. That's why I'm going to a University 6 hours drive away.

ReputationRep:

UCL could be producing total crap graduates next year and yet nobody would bat an eyelid because, well, UCL's reputation is what the graduates are riding on. But when up and coming universities start producing fantastic graduates, everyone goes ape**** (omg, how can that be? How can Surrey produce better graduates than UCL? NO WAY!). Double standards and snobbery to the max. :eek:
    What horror stories did you hear about Durham? :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.