-good pay
    - lots of satisfaction
    - get to have a lot of freedom eg plan own lessons
    - I like maths !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    What about optometry?
    Pay and progression isn't great in pharmacy btw, too many graduates
    Yeah I've actually considered Optometry, might look into it more, but i'm hoping to move from the UK after graduating fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyCaramba)
    Yeah I've actually considered Optometry, might look into it more, but i'm hoping to move from the UK after graduating fingers crossed
    The situation with pharmacy is just as bad in the US etc if you're thinking about going there. The fact that student numbers are not controlled really ****s you guys over, all the best though. Where you thinking about going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    My dad's a teacher and, to be honest, school work only takes up one or two days of his holiday. Summer holidays are completely work-free, also. Not many professions can boast six successive weeks of relaxation.
    Your dad is lucky then, I'm in my second year of teaching and I definitely don't have that luxury, and neither do any of the people I work with who are relatively new to the profession (under 4-5 years). As you've been teaching longer it does get easier I imagine, but you don't start with all that time free.

ReputationRep:
    The situation with pharmacy is just as bad in the US etc if you're thinking about going there. The fact that student numbers are not controlled really ****s you guys over, all the best though. Where you thinking about going?
    Ah you got me there I was considering the US cos of the better pay but tbh I haven't gone into much research, no one tends to tell us the negatives of courses till we check for ourselves eh, thanks though

ReputationRep:
    Ah you got me there I was considering the US cos of the better pay but tbh I haven't gone into much research, no one tends to tell us the negatives of courses till we check for ourselves eh, thanks though
    Yeah you REALLY need to do the research.
    Its not just pharmacy students who are misinformed, dentistry and medicine students are the same.
    Also, im pretty sure the UK pharmacy degree isnt accepted in the US, you'd have to do a few more exams etc since they do the PharmD degree rather than MPharm.

ReputationRep:
    Military before hopefully starting a law career for the money

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you REALLY need to do the research.
    Its not just pharmacy students who are misinformed, dentistry and medicine students are the same.
    Also, im pretty sure the UK pharmacy degree isnt accepted in the US, you'd have to do a few more exams etc since they do the PharmD degree rather than MPharm.
    Well i've got the summer to panic and research now then haha (just finished AS), what are you thinking of doing/currently doing?

ReputationRep:
    Intended Career: Secret Service Translator or Interpreter. :cool:

Reasoning: Opportunity to travel, exciting career and you get to help keep the country safe.

Steps: Study Japanese and Spanish with translation at university. Become fluent in Portuguese, Mandarin, Russian and Korean. Polish off my French and German. Travel the world as a ESL teacher. Develop a portfolio of freelance translations, win the competition for translators. Work for in Brussels for the EU. Return to the UK and apply for job at SIS/MI6. Pretend to be ESL teacher to the public.

If it doesn't go to plan, I'll be a receptionist at Premier Inn. Or work at Seaworld Florida.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    lmao. No because you're a typical know-it-all child and are being very silly making comments on a subject you have no knowledge of Do your own research lmfao.

"soft degree like games art lmfao". One of the reasons why it's in demand. Because of uneducated people like you spouting mis-information and discouraging people from studying 3D/VFX related stuff lel. You literally have no idea of anything relating to this subject which is why it's difficult for you to understand things.
    And what silly comments are these exactly? It you who is failing to back up any statements you make with any statistics and suggesting I watch willy wonka loool o.o. Why do i need to do my own research? It you who is making the claims and it appears you can't back them yourself, implying it's you who hasn't done their own research.

I don't understand your second sentence you say "one of the reasons why it's in demand" and end it in a full stop. Why is it in demand? How am I uneducated and how am I spouting mis-information? You are being quite the hypocrite you are the one failing to back up any statements made about the career path with evidence. I'm not discouraging people from studying it, i'm calling it a 'soft degree' on the basic of your anecdotal explanation of the industry.

(Original post by samba)
      The fact you got a 2.1, especially if you worked hard, just reinforces my point.
      Lol. Getting a 2:1 in law requires a lot more work than most degrees tbh.

ReputationRep:
      Well i've got the summer to panic and research now then haha (just finished AS), what are you thinking of doing/currently doing?
      Starting dentistry in september:P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by serebro)
      Intended Career: Secret Service Translator or Interpreter. :cool:

Reasoning: Opportunity to travel, exciting career and you get to help keep the country safe.

Steps: Study Japanese and Spanish with translation at university. Become fluent in Portuguese, Mandarin, Russian and Korean. Polish off my French and German. Travel the world as a ESL teacher. Develop a portfolio of freelance translations, win the competition for translators. Work for in Brussels for the EU. Return to the UK and apply for job at SIS/MI6. Pretend to be ESL teacher to the public.

If it doesn't go to plan, I'll be a receptionist at Premier Inn. Or work at Seaworld Florida.
      I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to mention wanting to go into the secret service...the only people you're allowed to tell is your close relatives (I think?)

To answer the OP, I don't really know what I want to do and although it is great to see so many people already sure of what career they want to pursue, it's kind of daunting for me (and others in my position). I'm sort of a jack of all trades master of none kind of guy, so it's difficult to assess what my strengths/weaknesses are and what will keep my interest for a couple of decades, even for more so considering my interests change every few months. I just hope I'll figure it out soon.

ReputationRep:
      Aw thats great congrats!

ReputationRep:
      I hope you like Indian/Pakistani students

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Table dust)
      What kind of racist post is this, this is like me going to a black person hoping to study history, hope you like white people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Career: Musician , a professional fingerstyle guitar player

Reasoning: Because I love it

Steps: Youtube, any performances I can

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ElChapo)
      What kind of racist post is this, this is like me going to a black person hoping to study history, hope you like white people

Posted from TSR Mobile
      lol stop overreacting, I myself am Asian and it's a well known fact within dentistry departments that Indian and Pakistani students are disproportionately represented

Anyway, I was referencing a similar post he made about LSE and Chinese students

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Table dust)
      Fair play mate, fair play
      (although im iranian myself lol)

ReputationRep:
      Aw thats great congrats!
      Thanks!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.