Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A shocking experience with dentistry/medicine students!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, not ALL medics/dentistry students are arrogant. I know some medics who see themselves as nothing more than a human being, like everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acidy)
    I always wondered why Med students are so hot for themselves.
    Being a MD or a Dentist is hardly meritocratic prestige anymore, just like a lot of degrees it requires AAA and you're in.

Don't be offended, there are always people who like to think they are better and talk down as such.
    Hot for themselves!! bwahahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thewildcat)
    Its not all about the money. Its the rewarding nature of medicine that money can't buy. Ur an idiot if u went into dentistry for the money, coz there isn't any. As a medical student I've already saved 2 peoples lives by resuscitating them. I saw them the next day talking to their family and that moment was probably the highlight of my life so far. How many lives have u saved?
    Yh but can you prove it? i want real facts from governing bodies, not arbitrary factoids from the daily fail.

Ill save you the trouble, average dental earning is around £61k. Thats a very good income, but i wouldn't call that lots of money. IV bankers are earning over 100k in their mid twenties. Thats money.
    A few facts about you:

-You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder at dentists. A quick look at your profile shows all of your posts on TSR are on dentistry-related threads where you say how they hardly earn a thing etc. The fact you have no posts on non-dentistry related threads suggests you have actively sought out dentistry-related threads just to bash dentists

-Apparently there is 'no money' in dentistry, yet you acknowledge they earn £61k per year. Hmm

You're very sad. You have some hatred of dentists, when guess what? Most dentists couldn't care less about you and other medics, and most medics couldn't care less about dentists. Only a few take the supposed rivarly seriously, and even less are sad enough to let it develop into a full-blown hatred as you seem to have done.

I doubt you are even a medic, part of me thinks you're a bitter, failed dentistry applicant. Few medics come across as idiotic as you and type like a rudeboi 'yh mate'.

Just to set a few things straight:

-Dentists have to do a DF1 year (and soon also DF2) before they are qualified to be GDPs

-We get taught CPR and probably use it as often as you will once you're qualified and in the real world. You think GPs spend their time resuscitating people?

-You think dentists don't save lives? An untreated tooth infection leads to death. Prior to dentists being around, one of the leading causes of death was dental abscesses

-Also, what is the difference between saving somebody's life by resuscitation (i.e. before they are in immediate danger of death), or by preventative measures before they are in immediate danger of death? Is one really more heroic than the other? Judging by the way you come across it probably will be in your eyes - but in reality nah.

-Dentists are the first to spot oral cancer - which has a very low survival rate if left untreated

-Dentists improve people's quality of life - both cosmetically and functionally (without any teeth or dentures, people become malnourished due to not eating correctly)

-Idk where you got the crap that a dentist's lab fees are £20k per year

-The era of GPs being highly respected professionals unable of doing wrong in the public's eyes is gone. This is due to long waiting times, coming under increasing criticism in national press about things such as not spotting cancer, and their high earnings leaving a sour taste in the middle of a recession

Get your facts right before trying to impose your dislike of dentists on others.

Although to somebody who knows what they're talking about, watching you talk utter crap that you have obviously convinced yourself to be true whilst displaying your weird, irrational hatred of dentists is funny to watch

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as people here are meant to be future doctors, dentists and other professionals this thread is awfully petty

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    loooool this is funny

ReputationRep:
    Its not all about the money. Its the rewarding nature of medicine that money can't buy. Ur an idiot if u went into dentistry for the money, coz there isn't any. As a medical student I've already saved 2 peoples lives by resuscitating them. I saw them the next day talking to their family and that moment was probably the highlight of my life so far. How many lives have u saved?
    lol hoping you aren't actually a real medical student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    lol hoping you aren't actually a real medical student
    Obviously not, a medical STUDENT is not involved in saving lives rofl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    Why not? Medical students are involved in the healthcare team, and may be the first on scene in resuscitation attempts, or involved in some way when someone gets sick. Even clerking in a sick patient in A&E, or putting in a cannula is being involved in saving someone's life. Hell, undertaking a GP consultation and starting someone on treatment as a student is being involved in this.

Rofl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Why not? Medical students are involved in the healthcare team, and may be the first on scene in resuscitation attempts, or involved in some way when someone gets sick. Even clerking in a sick patient in A&E, or putting in a cannula is being involved in saving someone's life. Hell, undertaking a GP consultation and starting someone on treatment as a student is being involved in this.

Rofl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well im obviously talking directly, if you want to talk about indirectly saving lives we can go on for days

ReputationRep:
    Most senior medical students would be able to recite days when they've done chest compressions in an arrest, secured airways in unconscious patients (+/- breathed for them) or put in lines in people that need immediate resuscitation.

That's certainly a whole lot more than some kid who has probably never even seen a genuinely unwell person and is still wet behind the ears from A-levels can claim.

The whole process of medical care is a group effort, with lots of people contributing in varying ways and lengths. There is no one person who 'saves a life' in medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Well im obviously talking directly, if you want to talk about indirectly saving lives we can go on for days
    This covers directly saving lives too - an example from myself was I was on the wards, one of the patients our team was looking after got sick very quickly, so the nurse grabbed me. I was first on scene, assessed the patient, ordered the appropriate tests and got the seniors involved. On the same day, another student colleague was in radiology when a patient started having a heart attack, he did the same, initiated treatment and got the emergency team there.

This kinda thing does happen, and not that uncommonly. If you consider that indirect then fine, but whenever someone's life is 'saved' it's almost always a team effort, with a bunch of individuals involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fair play although I gotta admit I seriously doubt Thewildcat is a genuine medical student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.M)
    Fair play although I gotta admit I seriously doubt Thewildcat is a genuine medical student.
    Well that I don't know, although boasting about the 'lives you saved' and ****ging off dentists for how many lives they saved in a day is hardly professional, let alone mature behaviour.

Just making a point to the other poster to not be quite so flippant about what medical students are capable of/involved with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol, im 100% sure oral surgery is more onerous than dermatology or radiology for example.
    Hee hee... Oral.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
    Seeing as people here are meant to be future doctors, dentists and other professionals this thread is awfully petty

Posted from TSR Mobile
    u wot m7+1
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    We're not all bad

ReputationRep:
    Lol chemistry FTW

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've said this before and I'll say it again...

I honestly just think "good for them", not even in a sarcastic way. They'll work ****ty hours. Have to spend a ****load more time after their already long 5-6 year course to specialize. Continue to work ****ty hours and then finally hit comfortable 6-figures when middle aged (most medics are deluded in thinking they'll be rolling in it before hitting middle age) in one of two ways: 1. Becoming a surgeon in which case you must be the creme de la creme (which by definition, most people won't be) and be willing to be called in the middle of the night... or 2. Become a GP and sit in a room meeting miserable sick people all day. And dentists must sit in a room poking around teeth all day for similar pay, hours seem a lot nicer though.

I'm not even bashing here, I don't understand why being a doctor/dentist is seen as such a glamorous job, although it benefits the general public (which of course includes me) that it is seen that way.

If you think I'm just bitter...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If you go into what I hopefully plan to (and no it's not banking, though it is business/finance related), you only need a 3 year degree (I am staying for 4, just something I personally want), pass exams while you work no more than 36-38 hours a week and with a very real prospect of hitting comfortable 6-figures before you reach 30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    I've said this before and I'll say it again...

I honestly just think "good for them", not even in a sarcastic way. They'll work ****ty hours. Have to spend a ****load more time after their already long 5-6 year course to specialize. Continue to work ****ty hours and then finally hit comfortable 6-figures when middle aged (most medics are deluded in thinking they'll be rolling in it before hitting middle age) in one of two ways: 1. Becoming a surgeon in which case you must be the creme de la creme (which by definition, most people won't be) and be willing to be called in the middle of the night... or 2. Become a GP and sit in a room meeting miserable sick people all day. And dentists must sit in a room poking around teeth all day for similar pay, hours seem a lot nicer though.

I'm not even bashing here, I don't understand why being a doctor/dentist is seen as such a glamorous job, although it benefits the general public (which of course includes me) that it is seen that way.

If you think I'm just bitter...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If you go into what I hopefully plan to (and no it's not banking, though it is business/finance related), you only need a 3 year degree (I am staying for 4, just something I personally want), pass exams while you work no more than 36-38 hours a week and with a very real prospect of hitting comfortable 6-figures before you reach 30.
    Its seen as glamorous because of how difficult it is to get into medicine/dentistry, and the GUARANTEE of high salary/status.

ReputationRep:
    Its seen as glamorous because of how difficult it is to get into medicine/dentistry, and the GUARANTEE of high salary/status.
    That's very subjective... and I'd argue that in London it's an outright lie.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.