Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice from previous Year 11's to upcoming Year 11's Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grade)
    If you are in year 10 going into year 11:

1. What GCSE's are you taking?
    I am taking Maths, English (Double), Science (Double), RE, Spanish. Those are the core subjects.
    My three chosen ones: History, Sociology, and Media Studies.

2. What are your expectations of year 11?

If I'm honest I'm expecting it to be like Year 10. However, extremely more stressful than Year 10 in the summer.
    In Year 10, the only stress we had was the real Core Science GCSE's, and Mock Week, but that wasn't too big of a deal, as they were only mocks. The fact we have 10+ real exams within a time period of three weeks. :eek:

3. Are you looking forward to year 11?

Mixed.
    I'm looking forwards to finishing the disaster that is Secondary School , and I can't wait for that awesome feeling when you have last your exam, and then realize you've finished your GCSE's, and have a 3 month long summer holiday, without looking at another textbook for the rest of your life. Oh Wait A-Levels.

However, I'm not looking forwards to the last few months as we have a ton of work, and the pressure is going to be very tough.
    Although for some subjects, we've done half the work in Year 10 (Science, Media and Spanish). I'm hoping to pass the November Math's GCSE, so then I don't have to worry about it in June, and I can focus on other subjects.
    I'm pretty sure the November slot is only for resits now? My set was meant to be sitting maths early in November but apparently only resit candidates are allowed to be entered for that series now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1) What GCSE's are you taking?

(IGCSEs/GCSEs) Maths, Triple Science, Eng Lit and Lang, French, Latin, History, Geography

2) What are your expectations of year 11?

Stressful? Yeah, I want it to be over already But I guess I'll survive. (*fingers crossed*)

3)Are you looking forward to year 11?

I don't really know... I think I kind of am. This long drawn out torture is killing me GAH I'm looking forward to it all FINALLY being over (ignoring A-levels -.-).

Anybody have tips for not procrastinating? ... That is going to be my number one enemy :fight:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    I'm pretty sure the November slot is only for resits now? My set was meant to be sitting maths early in November but apparently only resit candidates are allowed to be entered for that series now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?
    I guess I'm doomed then.

Tbh, I'm not really worried at Maths GCSE. I've studied it since Year 9 and done practically every past paper from 2006 till 2013.
    I'm pretty aware in and out of how the exams work.

It's Additional Science I'm worried about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyGeorge98)
    1) How was year 11 for you?
    To be honest, it was less stressful over all than I thought it was going to be - apart from my business studies coursework which was absolute hell. Other than that it went well. The summer was the busiest in my opinion.

2) How many exams did you sit?
    I sat 2 in January (English Language and Physics) and 14 in May and June so 16 in total this year.

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
    Listen in class, revise earlier on than I did (around January), do your coursework because it helps a lot with your grades and also don't overwork yourself because it can do a lot more harm than good if you work yourself too much.

I have just finished year 11 and Im now going onto my sixform

ReputationRep:
    Year 11 was hectic just finished going onto my sixform college so yeah good luck to all you year going into Year 11. Exams require a lot of studying. My advice start revising from September!

ReputationRep:
    It was probably my favourite year at school- yes it was stressful at times but everyone had matured a lot over the summer and didn't mess about as much in lessons.

23 (I had 4 for Latin so that brought the number up).

If you have mocks in November/December or in January, revise for them just like you would revise for the real thing as not only does it give a really good indication of where you are at that point it means that you have a good basis to build on going forward into the summer. If you do revise for mocks and are disappointed, don't worry. I got a C in English Literature and a B in History in the mocks and achieved A* in both for the real exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn-to-page394)

(IGCSEs/GCSEs) Maths, Triple Science, Eng Lit and Lang, French, Latin, History, Geography

Stressful? Yeah, I want it to be over already But I guess I'll survive. (*fingers crossed*)

I don't really know... I think I kind of am. This long drawn out torture is killing me GAH I'm looking forward to it all FINALLY being over (ignoring A-levels -.-).

Anybody have tips for not procrastinating? ... That is going to be my number one enemy :fight:
    you will be okay just revise I mean I have just finished year 11

ReputationRep:
    Core science, additional science, extension science, English lit, English Lang, maths, religious studies, citizenship, Spanish, French, History, Geography, Art

I'm hoping people will have matured a little since year 10 so the lessons are not as disruptive and we can all focus on our studies. I'm expecting it to be a hard year with a lot more work than I've had to do in the past but overall, I'm not going to stress to much over GCSE's and just do the best I can!

Yes, I am actually quite excited to get back into the swing of things with school and even though it's hard sometimes, I enjoy my time there on the whole and I'm hoping yr 11 will be even better with the added level of maturity and responsibility.
    I have to say though, some subjects such as Art, I cannot wait to finish! I absolutely hate how time consuming it is and just generally hated the course in year 10 which is a shame as I used to love drawing but it's become such a chore.

Any year 11's here have advice on how to improve my grades in art and history? These have been the subjects I've struggled with most this year but I'm still determined to aim high with both!
    Also when did you start revising for the summer exams just out of curiosity?
    Any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thinedivine)
    Core science, additional science, extension science, English lit, English Lang, maths, religious studies, citizenship, Spanish, French, History, Geography, Art

I'm hoping people will have matured a little since year 10 so the lessons are not as disruptive and we can all focus on our studies. I'm expecting it to be a hard year with a lot more work than I've had to do in the past but overall, I'm not going to stress to much over GCSE's and just do the best I can!

Yes, I am actually quite excited to get back into the swing of things with school and even though it's hard sometimes, I enjoy my time there on the whole and I'm hoping yr 11 will be even better with the added level of maturity and responsibility.
    I have to say though, some subjects such as Art, I cannot wait to finish! I absolutely hate how time consuming it is and just generally hated the course in year 10 which is a shame as I used to love drawing but it's become such a chore.

Any year 11's here have advice on how to improve my grades in art and history? These have been the subjects I've struggled with most this year but I'm still determined to aim high with both!
    Also when did you start revising for the summer exams just out of curiosity?
    Any advice would be appreciated
    I can help you since I studied History GCSE I also struggled a lot but ended up with a B overall which I am happy about.
    First and foremost, I hope you are doing WJEC history, as my thread below has history revision materials for that board.
    If you check out my thread which consists of the revision books and websites I used I think you will find it helpful. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2809725
    For history I will say, ace your coursework. Although it is only worth a low percentage of the GCSE you will thank yourself later as achieving those high grades will become much easier. For example my friend had an A* for her History Coursework overall. So when it came to our mocks. She only turned up to one of the exams and she earned a B. She didn't turn up to the other two but due to her coursework she still got a C/B grade. So imagine if she had got an A in that exam. But you see the point . For the coursework, I think the thing stopping me from getting an A in my cw is the fact that I didn't use a lot of my own knowledge. Learn a bit about the topic and learn about small details and key dates and put that in your work as long as it is relevant. You may hear this all the time but quality is way better than quantity. For the exams, I would do a lot of practice questions. Try to memorise and become familiar with how many paragraphs you need for each marked question. (For example 2 marker I knew that I needed 2 paragraphs). Also become familiar with how to structure your answers. Maybe looking at some sentence starters and changing them to suit you will help, as it makes sure that you cover everything the question is asking. For source questions, always say exactly what you see (that's all they want to know!). & for the 10 marker, just spend time memorising it, it is honestly a great help. I memorised it for my exam and it meant I wasn't struggling on what to write and I was able to write at a good pace instead of rushing because I had spent too much time thinking.
    For revision, as mentioned in a previous post.. I started in February, realised it was too early and started back in the Easter holidays.
    I hope I was able to help, if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grade)
    Really?
    I guess I'm doomed then.

Tbh, I'm not really worried at Maths GCSE. I've studied it since Year 9 and done practically every past paper from 2006 till 2013.
    I'm pretty aware in and out of how the exams work.

It's Additional Science I'm worried about.
    Please have a look at my other thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2809725 which contains a website which has videos which helped me soo much with all my sciences. I also posted the books that I used, even though they look cheap they are very helpful and cover everything!

ReputationRep:

I had the same problem during my exam time. Tbh you just gotta tell yourself that this is it, that this is important, and you just have to get on with it really. You really don't want to get your results, see bad grades or grades you didn't want and have to say it's because you procrastinated, it's not worth it because it is something you can control. All the best with your exams tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was put in for the November slot last year (finished year 11), but my school took us all out of it and we did a mock instead. Honestly it's not too bad, doing a mock will help you to improve your grade instead and it gives you more time to prepare properly for the June exams. Don't worry too much you'll be fine without them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee19)
    I had the same problem during my exam time. Tbh you just gotta tell yourself that this is it, that this is important, and you just have to get on with it really. You really don't want to get your results, see bad grades or grades you didn't want and have to say it's because you procrastinated, it's not worth it because it is something you can control. All the best with your exams tho
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    no problemo

ReputationRep:
    It was pretty good . It wasn't too stressful for the most part but coursework and exams could be quite stressful at times (especially if you don't do much work- me).

Loads, but it wasn't a big deal because where I live they split up the exam periods so that you don't have them all at the end of year 11. I did my first exams in the winter of year 10, and the bulk of them at the end of year 11. In total I did 30 including 2 English resits, but only 15 were in the summer of year 11.

Take good notes throughout the year because you will regret it later if you don't! To do this: make sure you copy up, listen carefully to the teacher and make sure your work is checked over by a teacher a couple of months before the exam so you have time to revise if you have incorrect notes.

Good luck you'll do fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee19)
    I can help you since I studied History GCSE I also struggled a lot but ended up with a B overall which I am happy about.
    First and foremost, I hope you are doing WJEC history, as my thread below has history revision materials for that board.
    If you check out my thread which consists of the revision books and websites I used I think you will find it helpful. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2809725
    For history I will say, ace your coursework. Although it is only worth a low percentage of the GCSE you will thank yourself later as achieving those high grades will become much easier. For example my friend had an A* for her History Coursework overall. So when it came to our mocks. She only turned up to one of the exams and she earned a B. She didn't turn up to the other two but due to her coursework she still got a C/B grade. So imagine if she had got an A in that exam. But you see the point . For the coursework, I think the thing stopping me from getting an A in my cw is the fact that I didn't use a lot of my own knowledge. Learn a bit about the topic and learn about small details and key dates and put that in your work as long as it is relevant. You may hear this all the time but quality is way better than quantity. For the exams, I would do a lot of practice questions. Try to memorise and become familiar with how many paragraphs you need for each marked question. (For example 2 marker I knew that I needed 2 paragraphs). Also become familiar with how to structure your answers. Maybe looking at some sentence starters and changing them to suit you will help, as it makes sure that you cover everything the question is asking. For source questions, always say exactly what you see (that's all they want to know!). & for the 10 marker, just spend time memorising it, it is honestly a great help. I memorised it for my exam and it meant I wasn't struggling on what to write and I was able to write at a good pace instead of rushing because I had spent too much time thinking.
    For revision, as mentioned in a previous post.. I started in February, realised it was too early and started back in the Easter holidays.
    I hope I was able to help, if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!
    Thank you so much for your detailed response, it is really helpful! Unfortunately, I am with OCR but I've looked at your thread and it's extremely useful nevertheless so thank you for that.

Well done on your grade, you must of worked very hard! I would be elated it achieve the same since it is a subject in struggle with.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thinedivine)
    Thank you so much for your detailed response, it is really helpful! Unfortunately, I am with OCR but I've looked at your thread and it's extremely useful nevertheless so thank you for that.

Well done on your grade, you must of worked very hard! I would be elated it achieve the same since it is a subject in struggle with.

Thanks again!
    You're welcome
    Okay, thanks for having a look!
    & Thankyouu, the hard work is so worth it even though you just wanna give up sometimes, don't because seeing that result on the paper, and knowing all the hard work that you put into getting that grade, it is something you cannot describe unless it happens to you. I wish you all the best in year 11. If you need any other questions feel free to leave them here in this thread and I, or any other previous year 11 student will be willing to help.

ReputationRep:
    My main advice is too aim high. Getting whatever grades you wanted is perfectly possible. The internet is an amazing resource, and you should definitely use it! Like for English, there are a lot of essays and ideas to help your ideas run along. And for science, I recommend getting the actual text books from your school. Bug them on amazon or something. And then, just read every page thoroughly, answer the questions, make notes. The tick as you go along. Once you've finished a unit, test yourself. Find questions online, past papers etc. And this acts as great revision. Read over your notes. Note making can be really fun if you make it creative. And this really worked for me, as I got an A* in all 3 sciences. Also, for controlled assesments, write out the perfect one at home, with help from the internet, and whatever and whoever. Memorise it, and write it out in class. These times tend to be stressful. So makesure you are organised ! And GCSE can be really fun too, I loved doing English and Science and RE. I have no idea why!

ReputationRep:
    year 11 isnt too tough if you put your effort into it, i went to nearly all the revision sessions set out for us, even on saturdays, and i'd put loads of effort into certain homework pieces (usually for english). when you put in the effort, it pays off.

ReputationRep:
    How was year 11 for you?

Cake. Yummy yummy in my tummy cake. It was the best year of my life (so far)

How many exams did you sit?

Advice for new year 11's:

Play cards with your mates at lunch time, go on as many extra-curricular activities as (in)humanly possible (DofE etc) and make sure to joke around in lessons.

Yes, GCSE's are important (maybe) and yes, you should follow school rules (which were clearly made to be broken) but thing is, as cheesy as it sounds, you will never be able to relive year 11. Study. Hard. And aim for whatever the hell you want, but never forget that in about 10 years time you wont regret getting a Certain grade, you will regret letting all that time you could have enjoyed go to waste...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.