The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Humzaawan123
I am doing ocr additional maths next year too... any tips ? How was it ? Apaprently it is really hard And what did you get ? .... thanks

It's not too hard if you're good at maths - I got an A* the year before so the content was alright. The actual exam went badly because it was harder than previous years and I panicked so I ended up with a C, but I don't care really since it's great preparation for A Level.
Original post by Marii101
My sister did it this year. She said that if you put your mind to it it's not hard but she didn't.:colondollar: She hated it throughout the entire year and didn't revise at all. She's expecting a U on Thursday.:tongue: I'm in the year below her and we started doing it towards the end of Year 10. I wouldn't say that what we've done so far is hard. You should be able to grasp the work fairly quickly if you're at A-A* standard in GCSE Maths.:smile: Hope that helps

thanks , we started doing some bits before we left for summer as well and yes,it wasn't really hard but apparently it gets a lot hard. Good luck to your sister
Original post by midgemeister7
It's not too hard if you're good at maths - I got an A* the year before so the content was alright. The actual exam went badly because it was harder than previous years and I panicked so I ended up with a C, but I don't care really since it's great preparation for A Level.

yeah , that's why i am doing it , i heard it helps a lot with A-level but well done on the C i know a lot of people that ended up with d's and e's
Original post by Changing Skies
Edexcel A level were posted at midnight so GCSE may be :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

BTW will you stay awake till 12 ?
Original post by Humzaawan123
yeah , that's why i am doing it , i heard it helps a lot with A-level but well done on the C i know a lot of people that ended up with d's and e's

Thanks, although I was a little bit annoyed as I was a couple of marks off a B and almost all of my friends got As :/ Oh well, I know virtually all of C1 and some of C2 thanks to it so I'm not too fussed
Original post by midgemeister7
Thanks, although I was a little bit annoyed as I was a couple of marks off a B and almost all of my friends got As :/ Oh well, I know virtually all of C1 and some of C2 thanks to it so I'm not too fussed

yeah i know what you mean it's really frustrating and so what content do you cover C1 and bit of C2 ?
In effect yeah, it covers a lot of A Level stuff that you wouldn't have seen otherwise such as integration, binomial expansion/distribution etc. Overall a really useful course as long as you're good at maths
Good luck everyone!
Nervous doesn't cover it!!
Original post by TheEpiphany
Thank you very much. Good luck with your GCSE's.

You're welcome! Thank you but I'm afraid I got my GCSE results two years ago :colondollar:
Original post by TheEpiphany
BTW will you stay awake till 12 ?

I probably will be awake then :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So Edexcel released midnight?
AQA released 6-7am tomorrow?
and OCR released 8-9am tomorrow?
Reply 190
Original post by poppycute246
There is all this talk in the newspapers about how on average, GCSE results are expected to be lower compared to previous years. Do you think that this will effect the grade boundaries a considerable amount? Especially for GCSE Maths and English.

Does this mean that our Maths, Science and English grade boundaries will be higher? Because I really need to get some Bs so I can get to A level...
Reply 191
Original post by jabire3
**** it I'm staying up until midnight lol

same, i usually do anyway and only for edexcel one :tongue:
Hello,I was just wondering if anyone could help me as I still havent decided what A levels to choose.
I want to study medicine at Cambridge and I am torn between these two options of a levels
1.Maths,biology,chemistry, english lit and german or 2.maths biology,chemistry,geography and german
I enjoy both subjects the same so I can't decide,however I have been told that cambridge prefer medical applicants just to have science a levels and now I am scared because I really do not want to choose physics.

Btw German is my 5th a level because I am fluent in it so it does not really count
Reply 193
Original post by M1chaela
I have been told that cambridge prefer medical applicants just to have science a levels and now I am scared because I really do not want to choose physics.

Hi! I'm in a similar boat to you, and would personally choose the first option as English Lit is more respected by universities like Cambridge than Geography. Also don't worry about choosing Physics - Cambridge like three science or maths subjects (which both of your options include) not exclusively Science. You can take anything else on top of those subjects.
Results day? Result day for me :P
Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but I'm nervous nevertheless!
I hope your A-levels (???) went according to plan! :smile:
Reply 195
usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

MathsNerd1
x

Nirgilis
x

The CIE grade boundaries can all be found on http://www.gceguide.com/
Original post by M1chaela
Hello,I was just wondering if anyone could help me as I still havent decided what A levels to choose.
I want to study medicine at Cambridge and I am torn between these two options of a levels
1.Maths,biology,chemistry, english lit and german or 2.maths biology,chemistry,geography and german
I enjoy both subjects the same so I can't decide,however I have been told that cambridge prefer medical applicants just to have science a levels and now I am scared because I really do not want to choose physics.

Btw German is my 5th a level because I am fluent in it so it does not really count

Hey, yeah I went on this trip to cambridge and they did say that they prefer medical applicants doing all sciences and maths, while other unis prefer 2 sciences and maths with another subject thats different like geography. But Cambridge won't mind if you didnt take physics.
Reply 197
Are edexcel igcse grade boundries also released at midnight?
Original post by joe*s
The CIE grade boundaries can all be found on http://www.gceguide.com/

Added, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zakimak
Are edexcel igcse grade boundries also released at midnight?

They should, yes, or at least tomorrow. They should all be up by tomorrow by 8am according to most exam boards.

Latest