Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Literally none but my friend who's also applying for econ has plenty including at a bank in Hong Kong
    Same here. I only have the regular investment bank haha

ReputationRep:
    i've got volunteering at a charity shop lmfao. eco-related work experience is very hard to find so as long as you've got plenty of extra reading to show your interest, i wouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling for ideas for my personal statement. I haven't studied economics at AS Level (something I regret. Took History) and am not completely sure about all the topics and content of it. I have recently started reading up on lots of topics but have no work experience relating to economics.

Struggling for ideas to say what reading or research I have done or work experience. I can link all my subjects well though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis7253)
    I'm struggling for ideas for my personal statement. I haven't studied economics at AS Level (something I regret. Took History) and am not completely sure about all the topics and content of it. I have recently started reading up on lots of topics but have no work experience relating to economics.

Struggling for ideas to say what reading or research I have done or work experience. I can link all my subjects well though.

Hey does your school offer economics because you could maybe email/speak to an econ teacher and see if they'd lend you a textbook or give you any pointers on what to say

What wider reading have you done? Did you find any topics particularly interesting? You can mention things in quite a lot if detail
    Also have you thought about doing an economics EPQ if you're school does that? That could be something good to talk about
    Oh and if you're applying to any highly mathematical courses lse/ucl/cambridge etc it may be a good idea to mention something about maths to show that you know the courses are quite mathematical

Hope this helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey does your school offer economics because you could maybe email/speak to an econ teacher and see if they'd lend you a textbook or give you any pointers on what to say

What wider reading have you done? Did you find any topics particularly interesting? You can mention things in quite a lot if detail
    Also have you thought about doing an economics EPQ if you're school does that? That could be something good to talk about
    Oh and if you're applying to any highly mathematical courses lse/ucl/cambridge etc it may be a good idea to mention something about maths to show that you know the courses are quite mathematical

Hope this helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't really done as much background reading as I should have done and will start to do much more of. Our college does offer Economics which I wish I had done. Luckily my closest friends all do or have done Economics so I have been speaking to them about it.

I also did Maths early (did the AS in Year 10 & 11 and the A2 in Year 12) but I want to resit some of the units as I only got a B and want an A.

ReputationRep:

You should be reading a few books (3-4) over the summer and be making notes so you can have something to talk about in your PS. You don't need to have studied economics. Admissions tutors don't want to know about AS economics - they already know it! They want to know about what initiative you've taken and what you think (hence personal statement) about book x or concept y or major economic talking points today. Work experience doesn't matter whatsoever, don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    You should be reading a few books (3-4) over the summer and be making notes so you can have something to talk about in your PS. You don't need to have studied economics. Admissions tutors don't want to know about AS economics - they already know it! They want to know about what initiative you've taken and what you think (hence personal statement) about book x or concept y or major economic talking points today. Work experience doesn't matter whatsoever, don't worry about it.
    Any book recommendations? Heard Freakonomics is overused in personal statements

ReputationRep:
    Any book recommendations? Heard Freakonomics is overused in personal statements
    Yeah don't go for those 'mainstream' books that try to make economics 'fun', although some are still quite informative. It's really up to you, I personally like to read stuff from, for instance, Krugman, but there's loads out there.

ReputationRep:
    Writing your personal statement is the most horrific thing ever.

ReputationRep:
    I am torn with my options. I'm going for Oxford, Warwick, UCL but I'm not sure on the other 2. My options are LSE, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham and maybe a uni that does an AAB offer if it doesnt go to plan in A2s.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    For extra info, I got 8A* and 3A at GCSE and I got 4 As AS level (economics, chemistry, maths, further maths) but my UMS average was only around 89 so I ruled out Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)
    I am torn with my options. I'm going for Oxford, Warwick, UCL but I'm not sure on the other 2. My options are LSE, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham and maybe a uni that does an AAB offer if it doesnt go to plan in A2s.
    For extra info, I got 8A* and 3A at GCSE and I got 4 As AS level (economics, chemistry, maths, further maths) but my UMS average was only around 89 so I ruled out Cambridge.
    Are you doing all 4 to A2 because I'm pretty sure Nottingham's 4A2 offer is A*ABB so that could be a factor?
    Have you been to any of the places? Bath and Nottingham are campus unis so is that may be something to consider, although you are applying to warwick so I presume you like that?

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone filled in university connect (the new stalking pages) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/conn...urse/economics?

ReputationRep:
    I would go with Bristol (being one of the best outside the top 5) and Nottingham (also being very good and for the reason NinjaPandaa suggested)

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone filled in university connect (the new stalking pages) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/conn...urse/economics?
    Finaallly a proper stalking thread. Wish it had last years data.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing all 4 to A2 because I'm pretty sure Nottingham's 4A2 offer is A*ABB so that could be a factor?
    Have you been to any of the places? Bath and Nottingham are campus unis so is that may be something to consider, although you are applying to warwick so I presume you like that?
    I am planning on starting the year with doing 4 A2s but I'm not sure I can handle the workload (particularly FP2 and M2 which we have to do). Atm, it's quite likely that I'll drop one of them after a few weeks but we'll wee how it goes.
    Yeah I do like campus unis, loved Warwick! Is it worth going for LSE as I know sometimes they don't like people who have Oxford as their first choice? (hinted in the PS).

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on starting the year with doing 4 A2s but I'm not sure I can handle the workload (particularly FP2 and M2 which we have to do). Atm, it's quite likely that I'll drop one of them after a few weeks but we'll wee how it goes.
    Yeah I do like campus unis, loved Warwick! Is it worth going for LSE as I know sometimes they don't like people who have Oxford as their first choice? (hinted in the PS).
    Ah ok I see, well you're already applying to 3 of the top 5 and I'm pretty sure lse is one of the most competitive (14% of applicants get a place or something, a marginally lower success rate than cambridge I believe) so you may want to think about applying to a couple of unis that are less competitive. I'm pretty sure lse also want your individual module results but I'm not 100% on that one so again that's something to consider.
    Personally if I was you and you like campuses I'd go for bath and nottingham

Ooh I loved warwick too! I really hope I get in there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wakawakawaka)
    Finaallly a proper stalking thread. Wish it had last years data.
    I'm pretty sure there's an economics applicants stalking thread from last year you could have a look at, might take a bit of searching though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. maths workload is low
    2. doesnt matter

ReputationRep:
    Just as a side note lse do ask for ums marks, they send a separate questionnaire afterwards!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just received the undergraduate prospectus for Warwick, love the look of this campus uni! Thankyou Ninjapandaa for getting me into it.

Any recommendations for any other similar campus unis? Right now, I am thinking of keeping Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester/Sheffield and Leicester as my top 5. My dad says I am aiming low considering I am predicted A*s in two subjects next year but I don't know.. Also, I can not find any other university with ABB requirements other than Leicester and I do want one as a backup.

Oh, oh, also.. (so many questions!)..I am looking into Glasgow university as my fourth option instead. I love the idea of studying in Scotland. Anything you know about the economics course there? Is it rated highly, lowly, averagely? I do know it is a pretty good russell group university by itself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.