Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nesca89)
    Hey all, I posted last week to tell you all I got unsuccessful in my Manchester met application. I emailed them for feedback, I just received a reply stating that it was a mistake and I am still being considered. They are now scoring my personal statement and if I get enough points, I'll be offered an interview. x
    Yay! This has made me so happy - fingers crossed for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yay - got an interview at uea and a questionnaire for Reading! :-)
    Anyone else got the same?

ReputationRep:
    Just received a written interview for Manchester Met in December I am very nervous, I literally have no idea what to expect all it says is it will last 1 hour with 6 short written answers, and it "will be useful to research SLT as a career before your written interview"
    I literally have no idea and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about how I could prepare or if you're in the same boat as me? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    What the questionnaire like?
    When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nesca89)
    I have just received an unsuccessful from Man Met! I am shocked as I have all the entry requirements and beyond. how annoying! just waiting for their feedback now x

I'm exactly the same! Baffled!! When do they give feedback?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellice97)
    Just received a written interview for Manchester Met in December I am very nervous, I literally have no idea what to expect all it says is it will last 1 hour with 6 short written answers, and it "will be useful to research SLT as a career before your written interview"
    I literally have no idea and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about how I could prepare or if you're in the same boat as me? Thank you
    It's unfair to give out precise information (plus as I never applied there so I don't know what Manchester Met is like anyway), but like they say, make sure you know the career well and why you want to do it. You could do this by looking online at some websites/speech therapy diaries etc, or through books, such as a Career in Speech and Language Therapy. A slightly more obscure one I read was 'So Many Everests', which was about a woman with cerebral palsy and consequently a speech impediment, although this may be really hard to find in your local library. Also, look over all work experience you've done, and just make sure you know and understand everything you saw

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellice97)
    Congrats on your interview! As Butterfly said above don't think we can discuss the actual questions but if MMU follow same pattern as last year the session starts with a talk (parents etc were welcome to attend this part if that's relevant to you) a tour and ends with the written part. It was a good afternoon and nowhere near as stressful as you are anticipating so don't worry too much. I am at MMU now so it worked out well for me
    Good luck

PS where else are you applying? Are you doing A levels at the min (if so which subjects?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    Congrats on your interview! As Butterfly said above don't think we can discuss the actual questions but if MMU follow same pattern as last year the session starts with a talk (parents etc were welcome to attend this part if that's relevant to you) a tour and ends with the written part. It was a good afternoon and nowhere near as stressful as you are anticipating so don't worry too much. I am at MMU now so it worked out well for me
    Good luck

PS where else are you applying? Are you doing A levels at the min (if so which subjects?)
    Sorry for being so nosy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clivia)
    Hi everyone, I've only just joined this thread - I will be applying for the BMedSci and MMedSci in Sheffield.

Only in Sheffield, as I'm very settled here with my little family even though we only moved here last year, and I love it. I have an undergraduate degree (1st) in linguistics focusing on speech pathology, wrote a dissertation on language difficulties in Asperger syndrome, completed some additional modules in psychology and education and have quite a bit of relevant work experience shadowing SLTs in hospitals, rehabilitation clinics, schools, care homes, and working as a TA for children with communication difficulties etc. Most of this has been abroad, but I did some volunteering with adults with learning difficulties, teenagers with ASD and typically developing children in the UK more recently. This year has been mainly about raising my child though. Any fellow mums here who have advice on how to put this in your CV/statement?

I already applied for the postgraduate course in Sheffield once but only made it till interview stage. This time, I've decided to give the undergraduate a go
    as well as it might actually be more realistic with a child. Anyone else here who is considering both options?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Un)intentional sexism aside, as a father, I decided against the postgraduate route in the end because I knew there would be serious time constraints on me. The undergraduate route simply gives me more time and flexibility to deal with things.

As far as UCAS statements are concerned I am guessing you do not want to allude to the fact you are a stay-at-home mum? It is all about how your frame things. I was unemployed for a little bit but I did not draw attention to that. I mentioned what I did when I was unemployed that was relevant to SLT (e.g. volunteering). You will have done similar things you just do not realise you should be mentioning it. I do not know how old your child is but you could mention visiting toddler groups or speaking to the health visitor etc.. If you explicitly spoke to them about SLT even better (e.g. how would the health visitor or school make a referral to a SLT). But you will have been observing other children and parents and noted lots of interesting things that you could discuss at an interview. It is all about reflecting upon your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    I'm sending my UCAS form off next wek and also applying to BCU. Will let you know if I hear anything. Good luck and hopefully we may meet up at an interview (fingers crossed!)

Thank you, good luck to you too! I got an interview for BCU in December How have you got on? X

ReputationRep:
    Well done, I haven't heard anything, so maybe not a good sign if they've sent out interviews already. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    Well done, I haven't heard anything, so maybe not a good sign if they've sent out interviews already. Good luck!
    Don't worry if you haven't heard - they've got a high level of applications to get through and interviews to organise plus, if they didn't like your application, they would have rejected it straight off, so you're definitely under consideration - fingers crossed for you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    Good luck

Thanks for the replies guys, will try to stay calm and just read up on the RCSLT website

And Amy, I'm studying Biology AS and History, Psychology, English language A2 and I also did AS Chinese-weird combo aha :P
    And I've applied Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield, DMU and MMU x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eskimok1)
    Yay - got an interview at uea and a questionnaire for Reading! :-)
    Anyone else got the same?
    Hi, I also have an interview at UEA and a questionnaire for Reading though I sent the questionnaire off yesterday How did you find the questionnaire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    (Un)intentional sexism aside, as a father, I decided against the postgraduate route in the end because I knew there would be serious time constraints on me. The undergraduate route simply gives me more time and flexibility to deal with things.

As far as UCAS statements are concerned I am guessing you do not want to allude to the fact you are a stay-at-home mum? It is all about how your frame things. I was unemployed for a little bit but I did not draw attention to that. I mentioned what I did when I was unemployed that was relevant to SLT (e.g. volunteering). You will have done similar things you just do not realise you should be mentioning it. I do not know how old your child is but you could mention visiting toddler groups or speaking to the health visitor etc.. If you explicitly spoke to them about SLT even better (e.g. how would the health visitor or school make a referral to a SLT). But you will have been observing other children and parents and noted lots of interesting things that you could discuss at an interview. It is all about reflecting upon your experiences.
    Please excuse the unintentional sexism ☺️ and thank you for your helpful post. It's interesting to read from someone who also had to decide between the undergraduate and postgraduate option. May I ask what your first degree was in and which university you're at? And are you happy with your decision, i.e. does the undergraduate course give you enough time with your family?

Yes, I agree with all the things you listed and would certainly mention them in an interview as I consider them just relevant as work experience, volunteering etc (of which I've also done a fair bit). I am just not quite sure if/how to put these things into the application itself? It would probably be in my personal statement, right? (Is it obvious that I'm not a fan of applications at the best of times, let alone in the sleep-deprived haze I'm in at the moment? My child is 8 months old and currently teething, btw 😁)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to everyone who has been invited for an interview, I still haven't had any decisions from my choices, but good luck to all! my nerves have started to come back, I remember this all so clearly from last year! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clivia)
    Please excuse the unintentional sexism ☺️ and thank you for your helpful post. It's interesting to read from someone who also had to decide between the undergraduate and postgraduate option. May I ask what your first degree was in and which university you're at? And are you happy with your decision, i.e. does the undergraduate course give you enough time with your family?

Yes, I agree with all the things you listed and would certainly mention them in an interview as I consider them just relevant as work experience, volunteering etc (of which I've also done a fair bit). I am just not quite sure if/how to put these things into the application itself? It would probably be in my personal statement, right? (Is it obvious that I'm not a fan of applications at the best of times, let alone in the sleep-deprived haze I'm in at the moment? My child is 8 months old and currently teething, btw 😁)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I study at Newcastle. My first degree was in English and I also have a master's degree in something similar.

I actually applied for entry in 13/14 and was rejected by Newcastle for not having biology and - as far as the statement is concerned - not explaining why I was switching to SLT (got unconditional offers elsewhere but turned them down and decided to reapply for 14/15 entry obviously). So the statement is not a trivial thing at all; having an interest in SLT is not enough.

I am happy with the decision. I take four modules with the master's students, and I personally know one of the students, so I am acutely aware of what I turned down (so to speak). I used to work with a clinical psychologist who hired UG/PG SLT students to look after her disabled daughter. She could not understand how the postgraduate students survived because the course is so intense, and thought my decision to go for the UG route was very sensible.

If you want I could send you my personal statement from last year so you can see how I included my work experience. Let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I'm new to this but I've been watching the thread for a while and saw today people have started to get interviews and panicked a bit. My ucas form will be submitted by the end of next week...do you think it'll be ok? Thanks and congratulations to those with interviews

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow congratulations on your interviews!! That's brilliant 😃

(Original post by Dancer32014)
    Hi guys! I'm new to this but I've been watching the thread for a while and saw today people have started to get interviews and panicked a bit. My ucas form will be submitted by the end of next week...do you think it'll be ok? Thanks and congratulations to those with interviews
    Hi Dancer welcome to the thread 😊 the deadline is 15th January but depending on which unis you are applying to it helps to get your application in quicker. I'm in the same boat having not yet submitted my application to UCAS and getting a bit stressed! I'm a mature student doing an access course but until my college confirm my modules to the exam board I can't press send 😳

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancer32014)
    Hi, welcome to the board. I wouldn't worry about it, last year I sent my application off late December and I still received interviews. What uni's will you be applying to? X

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.