Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Different family members want different things. My dad, gran and uncle all want me to marry a black guy. They'd probably be furious if a dated a white guy.

My mum doesn't give a toss, which is lovely. She says I'm free to date whoever I want, as long as I'm happy. She'd prefer it if I dated a religious dude (Christian preferably, but if I ever wanted to go for a Muslim, a Jew etc. then she'd be down with that), but doesn't mind if I go for an atheist either.
    And since my mum's opinion is the one I value most, I'm glad she's so open-minded. It makes my life a hell of a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rlove95)
    My mum doesn't really care, I think she'd actually prefer someone from a different race than someone from the same race as me but from Nigeria or something although even with that she doesn't really care. The only thing she'd be iffy about is if I brought home a Muslim guy.
    Why's that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysalex)
    Why's that?
    Cause I'm Christian and she'd be worried about me marrying into a Muslim family.

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't care because they're not racist pieces of ****

Looks and personality are more important than skin colour

ReputationRep:
    They'd probably be happier if I did, shows they raised a son that doesn't judge people on their skin colour

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As long as she's muslim or wishes to convert to Islam, then its fine. Although she has to want to convert because of a love for Allah not for me.

ReputationRep:
    In their words "We don't care as long as she's not muslim/arab". We're on the same page regarding that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldhell)
    Just read this... Wow really? :O
    They're obsessed with me marrying into money. On second thought I suppose if the guy was rich they wouldn't care what race he was...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    They're obsessed with me marrying into money. On second thought I suppose if the guy was rich they wouldn't care what race he was...
    Even if he was a rich drug dealer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Even if he was a rich drug dealer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's more family money and status they're into. If his parents are doctors then it's all good. So ridiculous in this day and age.

ReputationRep:
    Actually,I'm a Chinese.In China,kids under 18 will never taik about a singel word about dating unless he desires a three-hours family emergency meeting.

ReputationRep:
    Well my mum says she wants me to marry a black woman and I've never had the conversation with my dad.

I don't mind any race although I've found mixed/latin. arab women most attractive.

Ultimately, it's my choice and it shouldn't be anyone else's. While society is more integrated than before, the idea that some races/religions are against dating others shows that there's still a long way to go. While religion seems to be a good guide for behaviour and belief, it seems to be a huge social and political barrier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    My family don't even like my dating someone of a different class... I can't imagine they'd like me dating a different race. Sigh.
    LOL, the toffs strike back.

ReputationRep:
    Both parents are mixed race in different combinations. Apart from the Far East and the Hispanosphere, being racist to a particular group would be being racist to my own family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    If it applies to you of course. My dad doesn't give a crap about it but my mum wants me to find a girlfriend of the same race as me yet I prefer to date outside of my race. I watched a documentary of mixed raced couples being a ******* in some cultures.
    I don't mean any offence, although it will be hard to avoid. I strongly question your mothers parenting skills if she is in fact trying to get you to date someone of the same ethnicity.

That's not right dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facetious)
    What's the general Gujarati view on dating/marrying a Punjabi?
    Gujurati parents wont care, as they probably know someone whos married/ dating a black guy, so they are thankful they dodged that bullet
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmertic)
    I don't mean any offence, although it will be hard to avoid. I strongly question your mothers parenting skills if she is in fact trying to get you to date someone of the same ethnicity.

That's not right dude.
    Who said I'm listening to her? It's my own personal choice. I don't like dating within my race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Who said I'm listening to her? It's my own personal choice. I don't like dating within my race.
    I never mentioned you were listening to her at all. I advise you don't

ReputationRep:
    I have not asked my parents, but I presume they would want me dating a white girl.

ReputationRep:
    My mum was given a really hard time for marrying outside of her race (she's Jewish) and she said she would never put me through the same thing. As long as I'm happy with who I'm with and they're treating me right, that's all she cares about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.