Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynes24)
    We had 3 requests submitted by mid day on Thursday, no reply yet. As mentioned before I would find it very unusual for a script to be back by Friday after just one working day.
    Do you think it'll be back by early next week? We can't contact the exam board and ask can we?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hieuluu)
    Do you think it'll be back by early next week? We can't contact the exam board and ask can we?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your examiners officer should deal with that, on their website it indicates it could take up to 3 weeks but usually it should be back within a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hieuluu)
    Send in edexcel priority remark for 3 papers and haven't heard back. Sent them first thing on Thursday morning.. my uni place depends on this and also my clearing choice as well :/
    Did anyone send on Thursday morning and got back already?
    Yes, we had some back on Thursday. Edexcel are normally very swift - they were still sending stuff out yesterday evening. If yours have been completed then the result will have been uploaded to the school's secure in box on Edexcel online and an email sent to the exam officer to tell him. The person you need to check with is the Exam officer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robert.jones95)
    Totally agree with this. I sat Economics Unit 1 with great confidence and I came out of that exam KNOWING I would get that A easily. It was my easiest paper, honestly. I practiced practiced and practiced the exam technique in and out did every single past paper that ever existed and got A's on every single one. But no, somehow Edexcel decides to give me a D. And what's funny is that I thought I was so sure that I flunked Unit 2 and I ended up getting 93/100. And I faced the exact same thing with Politics except that I sat both papers with confidence got an A in paper 1 which was OK and a D in paper 2 in which I was expecting an A in. And I know A LOT of people who ended up with averages of D's E's and U's.
    Why is it edexcel's fault you got a D?

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about this for a few days. I feel like i've been cheated on my physics A-level. I honestly thought I would get an A as I thought exams went brilliantely etc..However with my maths A-level I was pretty sure I got A/B (low A or high B). When I recieved results I was actually very supprised as I got A's in all maths exams. Hmm it felt a little strange.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you all just screwed up in your exams? Hardly fair to say 'I thought I should have got an A' as if that is a solid reason for blaming Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikechemistry)
    It's so weird, do you feel Unit 2 went well compared to your grade?
    I thought I did better in Unit 2 than Unit 1 yes but I'll just resit next year if there is no change in my score.

ReputationRep:
    To the people who are saying that people probably just messed up: maybe, maybe not. There is no way of knowing unless people get remarks and their papers back. Yes it's unfair to say the exam board are completely to blame, but it's also unfair to say bluntly that people have messed up on their exams that they not only worked hard for, but are probably feeling pretty rubbish about already.

In my experience, I've had a lot of problems with Edexcel in the past, which is why I'm remarking my French paper. If it comes back the same, I'll blame myself. If it comes back different, I'll blame Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloevictoria)
    To the people who are saying that people probably just messed up: maybe, maybe not. There is no way of knowing unless people get remarks and their papers back. Yes it's unfair to say the exam board are completely to blame, but it's also unfair to say bluntly that people have messed up on their exams that they not only worked hard for, but are probably feeling pretty rubbish about already.

In my experience, I've had a lot of problems with Edexcel in the past, which is why I'm remarking my French paper. If it comes back the same, I'll blame myself. If it comes back different, I'll blame Edexcel.
    Both arguments are just speculations. I think that stating that the examination board has not done an adequate job could diminish the achievement of those that did well or give hope to those (hope small minority) that didn't do as well as expected. Under exam conditions many things can happen. Best thing to do is just to request a remark and see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Both arguments are just speculations. I think that stating that the examination board has not done an adequate job could diminish the achievement of those that did well or give hope to those (hope small minority) that didn't do as well as expected. Under exam conditions many things can happen. Best thing to do is just to request a remark and see how it goes.
    I completely agree with this, too. I just don't agree with people saying things like 'you messed up, get over yourselves' and 'maybe you're not as good as you thought you were'. Way to motivate people.

What's also worrying is that I approached my two languages exams in exactly the same way with regard to essays. I had the same structure, same phrases and I am the same level in both of them. How can I then get full UMS in my German paper yet 102/130 in French? I got an A in French AS and a B in German. It just doesn't make any sense at all, and I'm kind of now starting to doubt the validity of my German grade.

Edit: I have just finished A2s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peevesismad)
    I completely agree ! Complete marks on mocks, walked into and out of the exam centers, after all Biology papers feeling might proud of my self, because I knew every single answer , and yet I received a big U.. Not sure how this happened. I am completely baffled..

Their marks conversion system is messed up.

Also, this happened to bunch of other friends too.
    IAL was supposed to be for international students. Our first language is not English. No mercy at all
    OMG my friend also did IAL biology and got all Us but his first language is English!! Which country did you do it in?

ReputationRep:
    ALL those blaming people for being 'over confident' etc etc...
    Just because Edexcel is an exam board and we are, lets face it, nobodies, does not justify their fairness.
    Just because YOU got a good grade from Edexcel does not mean they mark fairly.

Anyone who feels they haven't gotten the grades the deserve must go and look at their scripts. Please don't sit and think 'what if' because you will never get an answer until you see proof.

Another exam board screwed me over, when I got a look at the scripts I saw the examiner marked whole questions which were correct as incorrect and all that time leading up to the viewing of scripts I was blaming myself.
    Honestly, I think exam boards should offer compensation to people who have been wronged this way. It is horrible. That way, they may mark them more accurately because if they don't they know they'd have to pay out compensations.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed however what about those people who did do well, they will almost never go and check because imagine a situation when a student got a higher than expected grade, they'd be over the moon and certainly not investigate. Wrongly marked papers don't just apply to failures in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAssirati)
    Maybe you all just screwed up in your exams? Hardly fair to say 'I thought I should have got an A' as if that is a solid reason for blaming Edexcel.
    Yes but when a straight A student gets straight Us. That is when it gets dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shanzii)
    I totally agree

For biology, I got As throughout my mock papers but was predicted a B. I ended up with a really high D just marks off a C

And maths.....that was the worst one lol. I got Bs and Cs in my mocks. Got predicted a C and I ended up with a U.

Nearly everyone at my sixth form got Us in maths and Ds in biology
    I think a lot of people seem quick to blame the exam board when in reality it's probably your teacher not applying the mark scheme correctly, I did OCR Biology so obviously it was a bit different but they were EXTREMELY fussy about being exact to the mark scheme and not 'close enough'.

I'm not sure what you did with your teacher but I found looking at the mark schemes and any examiner's reports you could find was really helpful for understanding what exactly they were looking for in their answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexJN)
    I think a lot of people seem quick to blame the exam board when in reality it's probably your teacher not applying the mark scheme correctly, I did OCR Biology so obviously it was a bit different but they were EXTREMELY fussy about being exact to the mark scheme and not 'close enough'.

I'm not sure what you did with your teacher but I found looking at the mark schemes and any examiner's reports you could find was really helpful for understanding what exactly they were looking for in their answers.
    I get what you're trying to say and to some degree, it was my teachers fault as they just taught us and told us to do past papers and wasn't bothered about the mark scheme but were bothered whether we got something right or wrong.

I had lazy teachers anyway so I had to teach myself a lot of the content really but I will look at the examiners reports though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexKay99)
    Agreed however what about those people who did do well, they will almost never go and check because imagine a situation when a student got a higher than expected grade, they'd be over the moon and certainly not investigate. Wrongly marked papers don't just apply to failures in my opinion.
    Well the issue discussed on this thread is on papers given a lower mark than expected. When requesting a remark you are looking at the ones with low grades not the other way around. Mistakes do happen but I believe those are a few of thousands of scripts marked. On A2 papers especially those essay based marking is more challenging, 5 examiners could give the paper 5 different marks. What examination boards try to do before, during and after the marking process is to make sure examiners are within the tolerance provided during each session. The college were I work uses Edexcel for Economics and for our students they pretty much got what we predicted. I would like to believe we are not an exception and mistakes may happen but occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    Well the issue discussed on this thread is on papers given a lower mark than expected. When requesting a remark you are looking at the ones with low grades not the other way around. Mistakes do happen but I believe those are a few of thousands of scripts marked. On A2 papers especially those essay based marking is more challenging, 5 examiners could give the paper 5 different marks. What examination boards try to do before, during and after the marking process is to make sure examiners are within the tolerance provided during each session. The college were I work uses Edexcel for Economics and for our students they pretty much got what we predicted. I would like to believe we are not an exception and mistakes may happen but occasionally.
    The removed January exams put a lot more pressure on examiners with too many papers to correct. I believe there may be a lot more mistakes due to this, probably because examiners are not used to correcting so much...it is abnormal what my friend got and now I'm being told (because he sat IAL biology) that whole IAL biology classes in different places got Us. That can't be correct, exams can't be marked that harshly as to bring an A student down to a U. Also, he did get special consideration which, he said, it not affect him that much as to fail all of his exams. He sat both AS & A2 in June and every single unit came back a U (he got 200/600 UMS), with special consideration (roughly 25% average as I was told by an invigilator), that would leave him with only 8%- so effectively he only got 8% out of 100%. How is this possible? May be papers were mixed up, may be there was a problem with the computer?

ReputationRep:
    If they messed up with A-Levels, will they have done the same with GCSE's?

I've heard bad things about Edexcel too:hmpf:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "I think Edexcel screwed up a lot."

What's new lol.

I'm guessing you made the terrible mistake of actually learning the content of your subject rather than memorising the syllabus off by heart.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.