Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by bethblur
My friend is hearing back for History of Art from Oxford tomorrow too! I think considering they only interviewed 34% of applicants in 2014, her getting an interview was an achievement in itself. Hopefully she'll get in. The Ancient and Modern History joint honours at Oxford looked amazing. How did you think the interview went? Have you got any other offers?

Thank you. That's reassuring. I suppose there is nothing I can do now anyway. I got an offer from King's College, and their course looks amazing, so i'd be more than happy to go there. It's just quite expensive, so Durham or York is quite appealing. Of course they are the two left to get back to me lol

I don't know really - you can't call it! I didn't bomb it and the tutors were really nice and friendly so whatever happens it was a good experience- and the three days in oxford were a lot of fun. I've got warwick edinburgh and bristol so just holding out for Durham after tomorrow but we'll see. King's is a really good uni! I some people who go there and love it, I'm from London though so wanted to get away for uni. allllways the way though- i think Durham does it cos it makes them feel special
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by MaiaTC
I don't know really - you can't call it! I didn't bomb it and the tutors were really nice and friendly so whatever happens it was a good experience- and the three days in oxford were a lot of fun. I've got warwick edinburgh and bristol so just holding out for Durham after tomorrow but we'll see. King's is a really good uni! I some people who go there and love it, I'm from London though so wanted to get away for uni. allllways the way though- i think Durham does it cos it makes them feel special

That's good then. I knew a girl who had an interview for PPE and cried on the way home because she knew she wasn't coming back lol. At least you have no hard feelings. Nice! My friend who is waiting to hear back from Cambridge for History has Bristol, Warwick and Manchester. He is waiting on Durham and Cambridge. I think he said he'd go for Warwick if he got rejected from Cambridge. All excellent universities!

Yeah I think so, but it's always compared to UCL and LSE which makes it seem not as good, but i'd argue the History department is defo one of their best departments and the modules and stuff look great. Plus, you can do UCL modules as they're both under UOL. Pretty cool.

What college have you applied for at Durham? Yeah lol it's weird how they're so late. I think it makes sense waiting until they are all in though. Quite risky giving out offers incase all of these brilliant candidates come in January and there's no more space.
Reply 182
That's good then. I knew a girl who had an interview for PPE and cried on the way home because she knew she wasn't coming back lol. At least you have no hard feelings. Nice! My friend who is waiting to hear back from Cambridge for History has Bristol, Warwick and Manchester. He is waiting on Durham and Cambridge. I think he said he'd go for Warwick if he got rejected from Cambridge. All excellent universities!

Yeah I think so, but it's always compared to UCL and LSE which makes it seem not as good, but i'd argue the History department is defo one of their best departments and the modules and stuff look great. Plus, you can do UCL modules as they're both under UOL. Pretty cool.

What college have you applied for at Durham? Yeah lol it's weird how they're so late. I think it makes sense waiting until they are all in though. Quite risky giving out offers incase all of these brilliant candidates come in January and there's no more space.

that's so cool I didn't know you could do joint modules with UCL?? nooo I don't think people think like that, most ppl know the history department at Kings is one of the top in the country. I've applied to Hatfield but honestly I regretting it- I soooo don't want to share a room and i think it has a rep for being a bit 'rah' in comparison to the others- haven't even got an offer yet so theres really not much use stressing. You??
Original post by MaiaTC
that's so cool I didn't know you could do joint modules with UCL?? nooo I don't think people think like that, most ppl know the history department at Kings is one of the top in the country. I've applied to Hatfield but honestly I regretting it- I soooo don't want to share a room and i think it has a rep for being a bit 'rah' in comparison to the others- haven't even got an offer yet so theres really not much use stressing. You??

It's really cool! There's soooo much choice. :smile: I found out after I got my offer lol. Okay that's reassuring! I plan on visiting the universities during Easter or around then! But if Durham and York don't get back until like April idk what i'll do. Awwww, i've heard Hatfield has a really bad reputation haha. Like loads of upper class rowdy rugby guys. However, i'm sure there will be nice people in it as well. I applied for St Chads! They have low intake and really strong academic scores, as well as being in a perfect location for me and a lovely building. Biggest library too. Seemed like a no brainer! I love the name so much too lol
Reply 184
It's really cool! There's soooo much choice. :smile: I found out after I got my offer lol. Okay that's reassuring! I plan on visiting the universities during Easter or around then! But if Durham and York don't get back until like April idk what i'll do. Awwww, i've heard Hatfield has a really bad reputation haha. Like loads of upper class rowdy rugby guys. However, i'm sure there will be nice people in it as well. I applied for St Chads! They have low intake and really strong academic scores, as well as being in a perfect location for me and a lovely building. Biggest library too. Seemed like a no brainer! I love the name so much too lol

yea see that's the thing!! I don't want that! I was veeeery ill recently and was in hospital and of my ****ing face on morphine when I had to send my application off cos of the oxford deadline so I might appeal and argue that I didn't really know what i was doing so couldn't chose the college properly- maybe they'll be nice? i think my teacher's on the case and emailing them so we'll see. Is chad's quite social though?
Original post by MaiaTC
yea see that's the thing!! I don't want that! I was veeeery ill recently and was in hospital and of my ****ing face on morphine when I had to send my application off cos of the oxford deadline so I might appeal and argue that I didn't really know what i was doing so couldn't chose the college properly- maybe they'll be nice? i think my teacher's on the case and emailing them so we'll see. Is chad's quite social though?

Haha i'm sure you could. I know that if they accept you, you are guaranteed a place, and THEN they send it to the college to decide if they want you or to send it to another college. Therefore, your place at the university won't be affected if you want to change college! Especially if you had circumstances like being ill haha mentally unstable when picked Hatfield lol. Uhhhh, apparently they have the most sporty people, and hold loads of plays and stuff like that. They have a bar and everything so i'd think so! I read all of that on their website though so i'm sure it is designed to convince me it's amazing, but it definitely seemed like a close community due to small numbers and that I wouldn't just walk past people for 3 years and never say hello!
Reply 186
Haha i'm sure you could. I know that if they accept you, you are guaranteed a place, and THEN they send it to the college to decide if they want you or to send it to another college. Therefore, your place at the university won't be affected if you want to change college! Especially if you had circumstances like being ill haha mentally unstable when picked Hatfield lol. Uhhhh, apparently they have the most sporty people, and hold loads of plays and stuff like that. They have a bar and everything so i'd think so! I read all of that on their website though so i'm sure it is designed to convince me it's amazing, but it definitely seemed like a close community due to small numbers and that I wouldn't just walk past people for 3 years and never say hello!

ahh ok- that's reassuring. I thought your application was sent straight to the college!! it sounds v nice but my school is really small so I'm kind of looking for a big college to make a bit of a change but I'd have to do more research if I get an offer tbh
Noooo it's sent to the department who decides, and then the college. :smile: i'm worried since both history and classics have to approve mine :frown: yeah hopefully colleges can mingle at events and stuff. Yeah!! Let me know how Oxford goes tomorrow! :biggrin:
Reply 188
Has anyone got an offer for primary education?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Original post by MaiaTC
has anyone got any offers for History yet?

Got an offer early November.. A*AA.. A-Levels are going to be fun but thankfully they didn't say the A* had to be in history! :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 190
Original post by gj12
Got an offer early November.. A*AA.. A-Levels are going to be fun but thankfully they didn't say the A* had to be in history! :tongue:

in November?! Jeeeeesus- well done!
Seems like no-body is applying for Durham , for economics
Just got an offer for BA Accounting and Finance with Business Placement - over the moon:biggrin:
Reply 193
Original post by Hody421
Seems like no-body is applying for Durham , for economics

I have an offer for maths and econ. Am I the only person that applied for econ??
Original post by ak2015
I have an offer for maths and econ. Am I the only person that applied for econ??

oh glad i m not alone.

i have an offer for pure econ.
Original post by Hody421
oh glad i m not alone.

What were your GCSEs? If you don't mind me asking :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by Hody421
oh glad i m not alone.

Congrats!! Where else did you apply? And do you know if Durham's econ degree is good?
What were your GCSEs? If you don't mind me asking :smile:

They arent that fantastic to be honest

2A* 4A 2B
Original post by ak2015
Congrats!! Where else did you apply? And do you know if Durham's econ degree is good?

I didn't put down any college preference, hoping for any traditional ones.

The second question, I can't really answer because I haven't studied there yet. But from what I have amassed, it's a great university. If you are interested in a career in finance, they seem to have an amazing society. It ranks 6th in LinkedIn profiles for Investment Banking.
Original post by Hody421
They arent that fantastic to be honest

2A* 4A 2B

I got 2a*, 3a and 5b. Since you got an offer for economics from Durham, maybe all hope isn't lost for Ancient, Medieval and Modern History :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending