So?
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
x
I think it's a real shame that we've been on this incredible league run and are likely to miss out on 4th anyway, really. The threshold for the top four seems so much more competitive this year, so it's no surprise we're the ones to drop out given we lost such a high percentage of our goals through Suarez's sale and Sturridge's injury.

That said, we did enjoy such a fine league run post-United in December, and it's a bitter pill to swallow that that might all be for nothing. It's just damning of our pre-season form, though, really. We left ourselves so much to do with that early sporadic and haphazard form. Losing to West Ham, Villa at home, Crystal Palace etc.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
I think it's a real shame that we've been on this incredible league run and are likely to miss out on 4th anyway, really. The threshold for the top four seems so much more competitive this year, so it's no surprise we're the ones to drop out given we lost such a high percentage of our goals through Suarez's sale and Sturridge's injury.

That said, we did enjoy such a fine league run post-United in December, and it's a bitter pill to swallow that that might all be for nothing. It's just damning of our pre-season form, though, really. We left ourselves so much to do with that early sporadic and haphazard form. Losing to West Ham, Villa at home, Crystal Palace etc.
You can't ignore how bad we were at the start of the season.

We only managed 22 points from our first 17 games (1.29 PPG)
Since then we've managed 32 points from 13 games (2.46 PPG)

So we were actually in worse form for longer than our good form so far.

You can't really expect to be crap for almost half a season and then still finish top 4 imo.

Although it does look like more than 70 points will be needed to finish top 4 this season so the threshold is getting higher.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can't ignore how bad we were at the start of the season.

We only managed 22 points from our first 17 games (1.29 PPG)
Since then we've managed 32 points from 13 games (2.46 PPG)

So we were actually in worse form for longer than our good form so far.

You can't really expect to be crap for almost half a season and then still finish top 4 imo.

Although it does look like more than 70 points will be needed to finish top 4 this season so the threshold is getting higher.
Indeed. The early part of the season is the most disappointing for sure. We didn't have Can or Markovic showing anything near their real quality, and Coutinho was a shadow of the player he'd become. There's a few factors for that failure pre-Christmas, and Rodgers deserves credit for finding a system which turned things around.

I do feel that the most disappointing aspect of us this season has been lack of cutting edge in front of goal, and lack of goals in general.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
Indeed. The early part of the season is the most disappointing for sure. We didn't have Can or Markovic showing anything near their real quality, and Coutinho was a shadow of the player he'd become. There's a few factors for that failure pre-Christmas, and Rodgers deserves credit for finding a system which turned things around.

I do feel that the most disappointing aspect of us this season has been lack of cutting edge in front of goal, and lack of goals in general.
Well I think one of the factors was Rodgers being stubborn and trying to stick to last season's formation when we didn't have the personnel for it.

Yea I was listening to this week's TAW and they were saying we're still lacking in goals. I don't think we even expect that many from our midfield at the moment which isn't good enough.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I think one of the factors was Rodgers being stubborn and trying to stick to last season's formation when we didn't have the personnel for it.

Yea I was listening to this week's TAW and they were saying we're still lacking in goals. I don't think we even expect that many from our midfield at the moment which isn't good enough.
With Lambert, Balotelli and Borini seemingly edging towards the door, and just an injury-hit Sturridge, unproven Origi, makeshift Sterling left, it becomes clear we need a 20-goal a season striker this summer.

Sure, we may yet Ings, but that only acts as an upgrade on Lambert/Borini in truth. He won't be as prolific as we need. Only Southampton in the top half have scored fewer than us, we don't have a single player with 10 PL goals to their name (Gerrard/Sterling are tied on SIX which is woeful), and only Swansea, Palace and Sunderland have a top scorer with lower than that amount.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Question for Liverpool fans - would you sack him if it meant getting Klopp in?
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
No. But the questions will inevitably arise after today.

The most worrying thing for me is what message this sends to the players. They are all young, but they aren't inexperienced. Allen's in a Wales squad top of their Euro 2016 qualifying group, Coutinho has played for two seasons in the PL alongside Sterling, Balotelli has played in the World Cup, Gerrard and Skrtel have over 175 international caps between them.

If we'd have won today, that could have been a watershed moment. Similar to Arsenal in the mid-00s. This defeat - like the PL disappointment last season - may linger, though. I wouldn't be surprised if this transforms into some sort of mental block during a barron, trophy-less spell, akin to South Africa's World Cup cricketing woes.
Bubzeh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He has always been and will always remain an absolute joke of a manager and a filthy human being.
Dragonborn10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's a few things Rodgers needs to do in these final six games:

• settle on a system - swapping between three formations in the first 45 minutes at Wembley was nothing short of shambolic. It wasn't pragmatic or off-the-cuff alterations. It was throwing things at the wall and seeing what stuck.
  • give youth a chance. I want to see Rossiter get a chance, Markovic in his preferred position.
  • Can in central midfield. Likewise, the sentimentality towards Gerrard needs to be ditched. He should, of course, play in the final league game at Anfield. But, for too long, we've carried him and it's so detrimental to Henderson's game.
  • phase out the players who will, inevitably, not be here next season. No chances for Borini, Johnson, Lambert, Gerrard, Balotelli etc.
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What I don't get is

Why does he play his best wingers out of position.

Sterling and Markovic have both played wing back this season. Why? They are good players, it's nearly as bad as us playing Rooney in midfield.

Also, why does Emre Can play in defence, he looks like a good player but is always playing CB when he looks much better coming forward.

Maybe Liverpool fans can shed some light?

I don't think he'll get sacked, but serious questions need to be asked about some of his transfers.
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
What I don't get is

Sterling and Markovic have both played wing back this season. Why? They are good players, it's nearly as bad as us playing Rooney in midfield.

Also, why does Emre Can play in defence, he looks like a good player but is always playing CB when he looks much better coming forward.

I don't think he'll get sacked, but serious questions need to be asked about some of his transfers.
For your first point, two reasons. We have no one else who can play as wing back that can provide threat going forward. Ibe has looked the best playing in that position but he got injured for a long period and cup tied for FA cup games leaving Sterling and Markovic. Perhaps he could have tried Johnson but I think he is past it to play in that position consistently. The second reason is simple, Rodgers wanting to fit all of Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge into the starting line up that ends up with Sterling having to go into wing back.

For your second point, our back 3 system requires good ball playing CB's. Emre Can is the only one who can play at RCB competently. Can doesn't seem to be ready to play at CM consistently just yet (he is still young) so you would rather play him at RCB where he can do the job for the short term than at CM where we already have players who can play in that position. The long term position of Can wasn't such a priority if you consider the **** season we have had.

This all comes down to the abysmal transfers of course...
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
What I don't get is

It's simple, really. We were in dire straights pre-Christmas, and our defence was in freefall. All of a sudden, Rodgers stumbled on a 3-5-2 formation.

It meant Sakho and Skrtel could be included within the same side, and Can was deployed as a centre-back for his ball-playing abilities. He will undoubtedly become a box-to-box midfielder for us, but he's just learning the PL and English game in that position. It's not uncommon, in truth. Carragher was a left-back in his early days when everybody knew he'd become a centre-back, and Henry was used as a winger in his first season at Arsenal.

The Markovic and Sterling question can be answered simply, too. They are young, enthusiastic and ready to take on new information. As incredibly athletic professionals, who are also tactically astute, they are used as square pegs in round holes by Rodgers because they are willing and can do a job there.

It's easier to teach a young dog tricks, after all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise