Is Paying For Sex Immoral,Are Men That Do It Losers? Watch

Zero to Hero
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JohnRR3)
I think it's immoral, yes. You are monetizing sex, and thus dehumanising the people involved.
Just because you pay for something doesn't mean you dehumanise it. I pay someone to cook my food and serve it to me when I go to a restaurant , I pay someone to cut my hair or serve me in a shop. That doesn't dehumanise anybody.
Zero to Hero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hopefulbunny)
Which brings us back to the start of the circle. Depends what you define as payment. Comfortable home and security, with clothes, meals , holidays etc in exchange for a contract of marriage. The ultimate proof is on divorce. Someone gotta pay. Game over. We all pay or get paid.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
If a woman values financial security when choosing a partner with whom to spend 25 years bringing up several children with it seems perfectly rational to do so. Call it a form of paying for sex if you wish, but that doesn't really capture what is going on. It's more about the process of natural selection where both male and female are acting to maximise the chances of their genes being successfully past on to the next generation.
JohnRR3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zero to Hero)
Just because you pay for something doesn't mean you dehumanise it. I pay someone to cook my food and serve it to me when I go to a restaurant , I pay someone to cut my hair or serve me in a shop. That doesn't dehumanise anybody.
Well, I'd argue that is does kind of in that capitalism in general reduces people to economic units (I'm not going to get into an argument about this though, agree to disagree etc) But with prostitution it's even more blatant, since you aren't paying for things they create or do, you are literally paying for them, their body.
Zero to Hero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, I'd argue that is does kind of in that capitalism in general reduces people to economic units (I'm not going to get into an argument about this though, agree to disagree etc) But with prostitution it's even more blatant, since you aren't paying for things they create or do, you are literally paying for them, their body.

But you are not "buying their body", you are more accurately paying them to do something with their body that you want them to do. And that isn't very different to paying someone to dig your garden if you think about it.
Hannzzaaa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely it's better to pay for sex and be honest so both parties just want sex than to party and hook a girly grouch false promises?
I do not agree with the prostitution industry as it is too easy for people to be forced into it or customers to harm prostitutes.
Zero to Hero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think one of the issues here is that for most of human existence, the act of sex was inseparable from the act of making a baby. As such it had profound moral and practical implications.
Today, sex is a recreational pursuit that is separated from making babies by contraception which to me fundamentally changes the moral angle and puts it on a par with any other consensual activity or economic transaction.
JohnRR3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But you are not "buying their body", you are more accurately paying them to do something with their body that you want them to do. And that isn't very different to paying someone to dig your garden if you think about it.
You are paying to use their body for pleasure, no matter how you try to word it. It makes them a commodity instead of a person. Having sex with someone who you otherwise wouldn't be attracted to is not the same as digging their garden.
Zero to Hero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are paying to use their body for pleasure, no matter how you try to word it. It makes them a commodity instead of a person. Having sex with someone who you otherwise wouldn't be attracted to is not the same as digging their garden.
When you pay a man to dig your garden it is because you want him to expend the effort on back braking toil instead of you. He isn't digging your garden and getting sweaty because he loves you, loves your garden or loves digging. He is doing something with his body solely for money . It is exactly the same.
JohnRR3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When you pay a man to dig your garden it is because you want him to expend the effort on back braking toil instead of you. He isn't digging your garden and getting sweaty because he loves you, loves your garden or loves digging. He is doing something with his body solely for money . It is exactly the same.
No, it's not. Paying for someone to do a job with their body isn't the same as literally just paying for someones body. You don't care what your gardener looks like do you? You just care that he gets the job done. One is more dehumanising then the other.
iama
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Foo.mp3)
I look a lot younger than I am :flutter:

I’ve always been ‘an old soul’ :shakecane:

Try as I might.. they always come back :evilbanana:

Far from what? :beard:

Not for me, I am now ‘middle aged’

Oh great, another stalker :erm:

Spoiler:
Show
..just kidding

Spoiler:
Show
No wonder we ‘butted heads’ on this topic :borat:

Good, fighting wastes valuable energy and means bad vibes all round, ‘pick your battles’, as we say. It’s especially,* btw, and (young) people rarely use the word irksome (so well done, it’s a quaint term)

Good, glad we can agree and that you are humble enough to admit this (again, humility is another virtue sadly somewhat lacking in the present generation)

Moral solidarity is rarely achievable 100% of the time, for sure.. ‘life happens’, as they say :rolleyes:

There does in the wonderful world of Foo :fuhrer:
Far from 20 How are you gonna go about it when you'll get older tch tch. Aww, well, you never know, life is surprising, maybe it will go on for longer.

they always come back, ah? That's what I call lucky! Or..I suppose..crazy people shouldn't return too..maybe they'll stay away

Ughhh, I wanted to write it with an 'e', but I wasn't sure and seems like I picked wrong :-? It doesn't look like a real word to me and it always throws me off, dammit!
Thank you~ Even though the used english words I think differ a bit between native speakers and the non native ones, we learn it from so many sources it's suspicious lol. Languages are such a wonderful thing ;-;

I like to be direct and say my real thoughts and I try to avoid lies (I do say them, white lies surely, but I mainly try to avoid talking abt the subject, if anything, and only lie if necessary in the circumstance, to me), so I can be honest. Nothing is black and white anyways, more like hues of grey. Perhaps not the same as in Foo's world? Haha, who knows.

aaaanyways, I'm more than a bit out of it, I'm sick and feeling crappy, so I don't know how much sense this made. Maybe I am being weird :-? I feel like it, but I also can't say what's wrong because the sick me can't think straight. Btw, I don't mind it in any way (shape or form lol), but I'm not sure how important it is on this forum to stay on subject with the thread so..I'm scared /shakes/ I can't think anyways..and it's 5 am..oh,life, why u do me so
baldeosingh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by matthewduncan)
What is your stance on this?
Is it immoral to pay for sex?
ladies get involved in this debate as well
No, morality doesn't exist...

and it's not sad...many people who do it have no issue in getting dates, it's just an easy outlet...
Zero to Hero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, it's not. Paying for someone to do a job with their body isn't the same as literally just paying for someones body. You don't care what your gardener looks like do you? You just care that he gets the job done. One is more dehumanising then the other.
We are going to have to agree to differ on this. But when you pay someone to have sex with you, you are not "paying for someone's body", you don't own that person's body following the transaction, you are simply paying someone to use their body in a way that suits you. It is no different to paying someone to dig your garden. You are making a distinction because you think it SHOULD be different, but in principal it is not. You don't own a prostitutes body following payment any more than you own the gardeners body. And why does it matter if looks matter for some things and not others?, that surely does not make any difference to the nature of the transaction. If you want to employ someone to dig your garden you probably don't want a weakling and if you want to pay someone for sex you don't want someone ugly. But that reflects the attributes of the person you wish to hire , but doesn't alter the nature of the transaction
baldeosingh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it's immoral, yes. You are monetizing sex, and thus dehumanising the people involved.
this presumes that sex is or must be for love.
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I dont know about the men but I think the women are loosers.
Zero to Hero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
I dont know about the men but I think the women are loosers.
Well they end up with more money than they started with and the men less.

If women pay for sex, are the men in that transaction the losers?
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you sucked [email protected] for a living would you think you were a winner?
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't say it is immoral, but it is a bit pathetic.
Zero to Hero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
If you sucked [email protected] for a living would you think you were a winner?
Depends how much you get paid.

Some people work for Banks and Accountants and get paid less than a good hooker while doing longer hours and getting shouted at by the boss.
Hardly winners in my book but every one of them with a degree.
Hopefulbunny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Women pay for sex too. Is that immoral? Are they winners? Are the men who service these women winners? Is there any difference between a toy boy and a male prostitute? Would you want the job?
JohnRR3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by baldeosingh)
this presumes that sex is or must be for love.
It doesn't. It does however presume that sex should be on the part of two individuals who are attracted to eachother naturally. Adding a monetary aspect, in my opinion, makes it immoral. Then again I don't really like untamed capitalism in the first place so it's probably a core difference in beliefs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.61%
No - but I will (4)
3.42%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.27%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (64)
54.7%

Watched Threads