Should white people pay black people money for unpaid work from slavery? Watch

The Juan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hopefulbunny)
That'd be all of us
If you anything about genetics or adaption you would know Europeans and Africans have changed so much by their demographic isolation that they have common genetic disorders in their respective communities
-Native Briton-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
So do you think they should be paid less than you are proposing for the others?
Excuse me, what does this have to do with the topic to hand ??
Hopefulbunny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ORogers)
No it wouldn't. Africans and Europeans for instance have very few genetic similarlities (i.e there is no neanderthal blood in Africans) which makes our subset of the species (assuming you're also white and European) distinct from the African subset (and even then, that's actually a greater subset due to the massive size of Africa).
Yes ok. Nice point if I am European decent. Neanderthal people occupied Europe before homo whatever .. but where did we homo types come from if not Africa. Or is your line of thought that the homo/neanderthal cross created a new distinct species?
I think I saw that the homo line and Neanderthals had split in the distant past. The subsequent cross and reabsorption of Neanderthal DNA in Europe gives those who draw lines between species an opportunity to write many many articles thereby increasing the score of their department in the university league tables.
In your response you might like to refer to Watson (the double helix Nobel prize winner) and his concern for African people. Apparently his reference to the implications of differences in African DNA from other human DNA got him into serious trouble. I don't have the courage to repeat what he said.
Deadpan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hopefulbunny)
Yes ok. Nice point if I am European decent. Neanderthal people occupied Europe before homo whatever .. but where did we homo types come from if not Africa. Or is your line of thought that the homo/neanderthal cross created a new distinct species?
I think I saw that the homo line and Neanderthals had split in the distant past. The subsequent cross and reabsorption of Neanderthal DNA in Europe gives those who draw lines between species an opportunity to write many many articles thereby increasing the score of their department in the university league tables.
In your response you might like to refer to Watson (the double helix Nobel prize winner) and his concern for African people. Apparently his reference to the implications of differences in African DNA from other human DNA got him into serious trouble. I don't have the courage to repeat what he said.
Good, because most of your posts seem designed to upset people as it is.
Osama Bin Putin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why not ask Israel? sure plenty of rich ancestors of slaves owners there.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by -Native Briton-)
Excuse me, what does this have to do with the topic to hand ??
What's that?

I thought it was paying black people who have been slaves.
-Native Briton-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
What's that?

I thought it was paying black people who have been slaves.
I cannot continue this conversation with you, you are verging on the ridiculous
_icecream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They should also pay back for Africa's stolen rescources
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I cannot continue this conversation with you, you are verging on the ridiculous
Not my fault if you just to conclusions from the OP...
-Native Briton-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by _icecream)
They should also pay back for Africa's stolen rescources
What stolen resources ?
-Native Briton-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Not my fault if you just to conclusions from the OP...
In English please ?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In English please ?
The original post made no mention of the slave trade.
-Native Briton-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
The original post made no mention of the slave trade.
The title of the thread is about the slave trade hence the debate about reperations from the SLAVE TRADE
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The title of the thread is about the slave trade hence the debate about reperations from the SLAVE TRADE
The title says slavery - no mention of trading slaves
-Native Briton-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
The title says slavery - no mention of trading slaves
The debate of reparations is regarding the European and American slave trade history. The title does not have to say slave trade because it is common knowledge that this topic refers to Britains past slave trade

I will not respond to any more of your posts on this topic or any other topic due to your appalling ignorance, you should be embarressed and ashamed at how you have conducted yourself on this thread
Zero to Hero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Romans invaded Britain 2000 years ago.
They killed, exploited and enslaved the British. Many Britons were sent to Rome a slaves.

Should the Italian Government not pay reparations?

From 1500 to 1800 more Black Africans were captured as slaves by Arab Slave traders than European slave traders. Maybe the Arab states should pay?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The debate of reparations is regarding the European and American slave trade history. The title does not have to say slave trade because it is common knowledge that this topic refers to Britains past slave trade

I will not respond to any more of your posts on this topic or any other topic due to your appalling ignorance, you should be embarressed and ashamed at how you have conducted yourself on this thread
There was also no mention of reparations in the title.

Aren't you embarressed that you can't spell embarrassed?
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zimbo97)
You point out many of the practical difficulties which the scheme would undoubtedly encounter.

But the fact remains that most whites are far far more advantaged than most blacks. The unemployment rate is double for blacks, home ownership and asset wealth is much greater for whites and white Americans are far more qualified, I mean these are just a few but take any possible indicator of success you can imagine and I can guarantee white Americans will be better off. Many trace the causes of this to the inherent bias against black people in the US which originates from slavery, perhaps because each generation has not been quite able to pick itself back up from the lows they were subjected to all those years ago.

What do you suggest should be done about the issue>
I think it's worth pointing out that in North America there are more white people living below the poverty line than black people -- so no, not all white people are better off. It's wrong to lump people together in this way. There is also a greater proportion of Hispanics below the poverty line than blacks.

What we do is fight to ensure all persons are given equal and fair treatment under the law. To start shelling out money to people who may or may not have been significantly affected by slavery, purely because they are a certain skin colour, is a crude and flawed method of dealing with a past injustice that not only treats people as collectives rather than individuals with their own backgrounds, but reinforces the idea that we should continue to treat people differently on the grounds of skin colour alone.
username1331498
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course not, don't be riciculous. This has to be the dumbest idea that has ever been thought up.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zero to Hero)
The Romans invaded Britain 2000 years ago.
They killed, exploited and enslaved the British. Many Britons were sent to Rome a slaves.

Should the Italian Government not pay reparations?

From 1500 to 1800 more Black Africans were captured as slaves by Arab Slave traders than European slave traders. Maybe the Arab states should pay?
Why just Italy, Rome stretched far and wide by that point, there were Romans within all parts of their Empire, including I suspect North Africa?

And what about these pillaging Vikings, and don't the Egyptians owe the peoples of the Levant for all that work on these big pointed stone structures they had built.

Then of course the Normans were not that pleasant, have a pop at France if you like but of course they possibly had arrived there from Scandinavia (Sons of Ragnar etc)

The Huns, they captured a few Europeans as they swept across Europe, pretty sure the Mongols enslaved captives.

History is not pleasant, once we mastered the tricky bit of gripping objects (opposable thumbs) we worked out we could hit others with what we picked up and get them to do our will.

From my surname I suspect my ancestors were serfs from an estate in Wiltshire, my ancestors probably adopted the surname from the name of the estate. Insofar as I know this resulted in them not reaching their potential, as 19th century census returns indicate that they are all listed as labourers, I will get the family solicitors on to this tomorrow to commence action against one of the landed estates within the UK, I deserve compensation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads