Report 3 years ago
A flat, dull (east) Midlands accent.
Frostyjoe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)
As in a Southern accent is charming and lyrical whereas a Northern accent makes people feel like they're being threatened at all times?

I knew some guys at Uni from Belfast and the tone was omni-aggressive. Nice guys but they couldnt say 'thanks' without sounding like they were about to start a fist fight :laugh:
Well i'm not actually from Belfast so my accent is nothing like that. Its quite annoying when English people mock our accent and presume that we all talk like that when the vast majority of us talk nothing like that. I actually can't stand the Belfast accent, to me it is very whiny and nasal. And yes some Belfast people do sound very angry and scary but not all of them do.
Reachingstar117
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have a mixture of Korean, American and British accent...
Frostyjoe
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Dude - you fail to understand the factors that determine accents. There isn't some innate 'black' accent and thus asking someone (who clearly has a differing upbringing to you) to embrace a mythical accent is absurd.

I have both a standard American and English accent - depending on who I speak to - I'm not "betraying my heritage". It's a product of my international upbringing - a very middle class one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That annoys me. I have a classmate (sisters friend) who has lived in a few countries and she always puts on the accent of that country, when she was in England she had an English accent and when she was in Northern Ireland she had our accent. Now she is in America and has adopted a NJ accent.

To me this is extremely annoying and fake, I agree with the person who said you are 'betraying your heritage' because you actually are, you are trying to be something you aren't. If I ever immigrate to America, for example, I will not change my Northern Irish accent, if it ever changes then fine but it will change naturally. People will want you to be who you are and not pretend to be something else.
Jemner01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didn't think I had a very regional accent, and always thought my mother's accent was very American. We go to her part of America on holiday, the locals can barely understand what I'm saying and my mum's high school friends say she sounds Scottish!
Princepieman
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Frostyjoe)
That annoys me. I have a classmate (sisters friend) who has lived in a few countries and she always puts on the accent of that country, when she was in England she had an English accent and when she was in Northern Ireland she had our accent. Now she is in America and has adopted a NJ accent.

To me this is extremely annoying and fake, I agree with the person who said you are 'betraying your heritage' because you actually are, you are trying to be something you aren't. If I ever immigrate to America, for example, I will not change my Northern Irish accent, if it ever changes then fine but it will change naturally. People will want you to be who you are and not pretend to be something else.
You can't blame us. Being exposed to different cultures/accents makes you very versatile. It's not a matter of being 'fake' and trying to 'fit in', It's just a natural instinct for me. Forcing myself to keep one accent is very difficult when I've been exposed to and have conversed in many.

It really is a matter of: unless you have experienced this you don't really have much basis to judge. My 'hertage' doesn't even exist to me, I'm a - what has been dubbed - "third culture kid" who has developed a separate 'culture' one that encompasses bits from each of the places I've lived.

If you've lived somewhere your whole life this will be difficult for you to grasp.
Frostyjoe
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
You can't blame us. Being exposed to different cultures/accents makes you very versatile. It's not a matter of being 'fake' and trying to 'fit in', It's just a natural instinct for me. Forcing myself to keep one accent is very difficult when I've been exposed to and have conversed in many.

It really is a matter of: unless you have experienced this you don't really have much basis to judge. My 'hertage' doesn't even exist to me, I'm a - what has been dubbed - "third culture kid" who has developed a separate 'culture' one that encompasses bits from each of the places I've lived.

If you've lived somewhere your whole life this will be difficult for you to grasp.
Well ok I get your point and I would love to live in different countries like you but I have to say it doesn't agree with me. I am from Northern Ireland and I can't change that so I don't go with the whole adoption of a new culture.

There are a lot of people from third world countries who move to America and they call themselves American, well to me they are not American. I personally feel like you should be proud (not arrogant) of where you are from and just accept who you are, its ok if you lose your accent but in a way for me I would feel like I am mocking the locals if I adopted their accent. My relatives would call me fake aswell.

I can see how people do it though, I have never lived away for long but this summer I went to Florida for 5 weeks and by the 5th week I was saying thinks like awesome without even thinking. I know that sounds daft but its the truth it just happened. If there was any accent that would be easy to pick up, I think it would have to be the General American accent.
Princepieman
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Frostyjoe)
Well ok I get your point and I would love to live in different countries like you but I have to say it doesn't agree with me. I am from Northern Ireland and I can't change that so I don't go with the whole adoption of a new culture.

[/B]There are a lot of people from third world countries who move to America and they call themselves American, well to me they are not American.[/B] I personally feel like you should be proud (not arrogant) of where you are from and just accept who you are, its ok if you lose your accent but in a way for me I would feel like I am mocking the locals if I adopted their accent. My relatives would call me fake aswell.

I can see how people do it though, I have never lived away for long but this summer I went to Florida for 5 weeks and by the 5th week I was saying thinks like awesome without even thinking. I know that sounds daft but its the truth it just happened. If there was any accent that would be easy to pick up, I think it would have to be the General American accent.
I see your point but the highlighted text is completely wrong. America is built on immigrants, they rely on them to come over and innovate. The only reason it is the strongest country today is because of its immigration policies. You are telling me, that someone who has to opt out of citizenship of their other prior country to become american, isn't american? That is where you're wrong. They ARE american but they bring they integrate their old culture with their new one - it doesn't just vanish.

Exactly, you felt how effortless it was to supposedly use a "fake" way of saying things - just extrapolate that experience over many years and in many countries. It isn't fake, you are still yourself, you have just simply added a new dimension to your cultural identity. Not betrayed your old one.
Edminzodo
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by slg60)
Does Clarkson have good pronunciation?
I'm not sure, really!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ttaylor17
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Canadian British mix
Though some may say American...
However Canadian and American totally different
Blethering Scot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Brora
blackstah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I switch between cockney and then relatively posh British depending on who I'm talking to. It's kind of annoying but my teacher said I probably do it because I'm empathetic to the situation/person I'm talking to. I'm a Londoner, btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1649843
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Rammstein accent
s.a.u
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
RP basically, though with mostly flat 'a's.
ZennyX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lol why do I feel like I have no accent???:confused:
sparklenshine
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
London
businessisgreat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Am I the only one that just feels like i have my own accent and sound nothing like anybody else haha.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Edminzodo)
Apparently, I have a Jeremy Clarkson accent. Although I think that having a quad-helix brace in my mouth just taught me to pronounce words properly . . . Although apparently I pronounce some words with an odd accent. I blame my Cockney/Geordie/Irish/Vietnamese mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile
After reading this, Jeremy Clarkson read the rest of your post in my head... in the worrrld...
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by heavyhandscott)
Yeah when I look back first year was real fun. This year its boring and very detailed.. CBA with it

You doing AQA?
Nope, I'm doing CCEA...we've just finished unit one and there is SO much to memorise!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (173)
18.66%
No (561)
60.52%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise