Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    That'd be me! As much as I'd love to go to Oxford (I enjoyed myself a lot at St Hugh's for the interviews), I want to do more astrophysics in the course than I'd be able to at Oxford
    Oh yes, not liking the course makes sense good luck with astrophysics!

It's just that while I was thinking I wouldn't get an offer I kind of set my mind at going to King's and now the day after I received the offer I also received an interview from King's and I'm wondering whether to go. I'd certainly go, but I live in Moscow, so it's not too easy :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    So am I, but it's definitely been a nice reception!
    Absolutely! I just really hope I get the grades now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by procrastibaker)
    Hello! I have an open offer from Queens for Medicine I'm still in amazement/ disbelief - I was worried about even getting an offer for Medicine, let alone from Oxford for Medicine!!
    I'm a little confused about my offer though, I got interviewed at Brasenose, where I applied, and Exeter - but Brasenose have written a letter saying Queens is making an open offer - however haven't heard anything from Queens? I'm absolutely over the moon Queens college liked me because it's a lovely college... but I'm still confused haha
    Oh also I was in UNIQ week 2 (for Chemistry) woo go UNIQ
    CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!!!
    Congratulations on your offer. The letter from Brasenose will have advised you to contact the College if Queen's do not get in touch within a few days so I would follow this guidance. If you do go to Queen's its sports ground is adjacent to Brasenose's and the two colleges share the facilities so you will probably see some familiar faces from interviews there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeaweedBrain)
    To be fair to him, he wasn't too keen on it being published, but I get you :P
    Does being in the prospectus not make you special?
    There were only seven of us who could have been on that page, so no, not very special!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danniegee)
    I'm the only person from my school who applied, so everyone's really pleased we haven't sent anyone to Oxbridge in years :P

I was also the only Oxford applicant in my year! So much pressure on wednesday as literally everybody (teachers and students) were asking me about how I had gotten on before I knew the outcome. Would've been such a letdown if there was bad news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    There were only seven of us who could have been on that page, so no, not very special!
    It's still pretty cool though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evazilber57)
    Oh yes, not liking the course makes sense good luck with astrophysics!

It's just that while I was thinking I wouldn't get an offer I kind of set my mind at going to King's and now the day after I received the offer I also received an interview from King's and I'm wondering whether to go. I'd certainly go, but I live in Moscow, so it's not too easy :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks
    It was certainly a lot easier thinking about rejecting Oxford when I wasn't expecting an offer!

That makes it hard to get to interviews then! I don't know anything about King's really, but maybe if you contact them you can work something out without having to travel all that way for an interview when you might end up accepting Oxford instead? I guess you just have to go for the course/uni you like the most... (the tricky part is figuring out which one that is!). Good luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonlad)
    I was also the only Oxford applicant in my year! So much pressure on wednesday as literally everybody (teachers and students) were asking me about how I had gotten on before I knew the outcome. Would've been such a letdown if there was bad news
    I know! Everyone's been asking me if I have a place nearly everyday since 6th October when I applied, so it's great to have a (good) answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danniegee)
    I'm the only person from my school who applied, so everyone's really pleased we haven't sent anyone to Oxbridge in years :P
    This is going to be slightly stalkerish, but from the school on your profile...

Someone got into Oxford two years ago apparently. But before that it was 2010 (I know who the 2010 person is) and before that, 2006. (Not including Cambridge)

Spoiler:
    Show
    There's a massive spreadsheet if anyone cares: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ttachment.xlsx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    That'd be me! As much as I'd love to go to Oxford (I enjoyed myself a lot at St Hugh's for the interviews), I want to do more astrophysics in the course than I'd be able to at Oxford
    I've got a friend in 3rd year studying Physics at Oxford who is very into astrophysics and seems happy enough. But I expect you've done your research!

(Although bear in mind that people's interests do change.)

ReputationRep:
    I've got a friend in 3rd year studying Physics at Oxford who is very into astrophysics and seems happy enough. But I expect you've done your research!

This wouldn't be the murder victim, would it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I'm still not going for a straight astro course because then I would be stuck if I changed my mind at all (sheffield is 50-50 split with room for options), but as far as I can tell the course at Oxford doesn't seem as flexible as other places I applied, although it's pretty difficult to judge because there isn't as much information on it available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I'm still not going for a straight astro course because then I would be stuck if I changed my mind at all (sheffield is 50-50 split with room for options), but as far as I can tell the course at Oxford doesn't seem as flexible as other places I applied, although it's pretty difficult to judge because there isn't as much information on it available?
    I'd say email the department with lots of specific questions.

ReputationRep:

Someone got into Oxford two years ago apparently. But before that it was 2010 (I know who the 2010 person is) and before that, 2006. (Not including Cambridge)

Spoiler:
    Show
    There's a massive spreadsheet if anyone cares: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ttachment.xlsx
    Wow! I did not know this! That table is AMAZING I knew that there weren't many of us. It would be interesting to talk to them - hopefully in October thanks for posting this!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Spoiler:
    Show
    That's awesome! Thanks! Is there anywhere that beats Eton in terms of Oxford acceptances?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I can't rate your posts fluteflute - it says I need to rate other people before I rate your posts again :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeaweedBrain)
    This wouldn't be the murder victim, would it?
    Ha, nope, he's a 4th year

(Original post by Lau14)
    Hmm I can sympathise with the lack of easy to find information! As an Oxford student, I can get a bit more than you would be able to find, but even that's no incredibly well presented.

The Physics FAQ has an entry about astro, which probably does indicate not nearly as much astro as you'd at Sheffield. Though, I bet Oxford packs a lot in to those small looking courses But yeah, probably a reasonable decision to go elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evazilber57)
    Just wondering, is there anybody with an offer who will not be firming Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure whether I will. Trying to decide between Oxford and Bath for Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaz97)
    I agree about Brasenose, it had a lovely atmosphere and I liked the fact that it was so small, like a little family so many other nice colleges though! It's strange to think that there are people posting on here who I may have seen during my stay, or will see if I get in! Some of the people chatting on here could even be best friends within a year... it's so surreal.
    It's so exciting - the prospect of actually becoming a student and living and studying in Oxford is unbelievable. It's not going to sink in that I have an offer until I get there! Lot's of hard work to get the grades now though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admissionshost)
    Congratulations on your offer. The letter from Brasenose will have advised you to contact the College if Queen's do not get in touch within a few days so I would follow this guidance. If you do go to Queen's its sports ground is adjacent to Brasenose's and the two colleges share the facilities so you will probably see some familiar faces from interviews there.
    I'll be contacting them tomorrow then yes Oh that's cool! It's all so exciting. Thank you for your help!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.