Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you date a Muslim? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you date a Muslim?
    Yes
    27.50%
    Yes (only that they respects my views)
    18.93%
    Not Sure
    7.50%
    No My family would be worried
    2.50%
    No we would have nothing in common
    6.43%
    100% No
    37.14%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaVinciGirl)
    A practising Muslim wouldn't date you though
    This.

If they were a practicing Muslim, they wouldn't be dating.

ReputationRep:
    Would you date a Christian, Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Atheist etc?

From reading the comments and what I've seen in other threads people treat Muslims as if they're aliens, it baffles me really.

Don't get mistaken by someone that has/is a:

I. Been raised in a Muslim family
    II. Practising Muslim
    III. Extremist.

They are all very different things.

Personally I wouldn't mind dating I and II would depend on how serious they are e.g. do they follow no sex before marriage because that's a bit meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Espeon196)
    What! So what would happen if you decided one day to take it off? And do you wear abaya too with it?

Also you mentioned that you would do dating in your earlier posts. Would your family be fine if you dated someone? Or would there be a negative reaction. Just wondering, sorry for the questions.
    Yep I wear an abaya, or long skirts, and if I took my hijab off my parents would hate me for a while (they'll act like they're ok with it but it would really upset them). My family would be annoyed if they found out I was dating someone, but how annoyed they are would vary based on the race and religion of the guy. I'm bengali so if it was a bengali guy they'd be the least annoyed, then any other south asian muslim, then any other south asian non muslim and then the rest. They'd be annoyed but if this guy was where my happiness was and I couldn't live without him then my parents would eventually understand (after ALOT of persuading). I wouldn't tell them I was dating someone until it was really serious and we were ready to get married (,as I don't want to argue unnecessarily with my parents).

ReputationRep:
    Pretty stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammie123)
    Yep I wear an abaya, or long skirts, and if I took my hijab off my parents would hate me for a while (they'll act like they're ok with it but it would really upset them). My family would be annoyed if they found out I was dating someone, but how annoyed they are would vary based on the race and religion of the guy. I'm bengali so if it was a bengali guy they'd be the least annoyed, then any other south asian muslim, then any other south asian non muslim and then the rest. They'd be annoyed but if this guy was where my happiness was and I couldn't live without him then my parents would eventually understand (after ALOT of persuading). I wouldn't tell them I was dating someone until it was really serious and we were ready to get married (,as I don't to argue unnecessarily with my parents).
    This is surprising for me to hear, as my family seem to be the opposite. If the women in my family started to wear hijab, their would be a stigma on that. And I don't think my family would mind if I started dating someone, but I'd never do it anyway due to my religious beliefs.
    Why does ethnicity matter anyway? It doesn't make sense to me. For example, I'm Gujarati and the person I want to marry isn't. No one cares(or should care).
    Also are you currently living with your parents or by yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I would. I don't care about religion. I am open minded unlike the rest of you lot.

ReputationRep:
    This is surprising for me to hear, as my family seem to be the opposite. If the women in my family started to wear hijab, their would be a stigma on that. And I don't think my family would mind if I started dating someone, but I'd never do it anyway due to my religious beliefs.
    Why does ethnicity matter anyway? It doesn't make sense to me. For example, I'm Gujarati and the person I want to marry isn't. No one cares(or should care).
    Also are you currently living with your parents or by yourself?
    Your lucky your given the choice to make your own decisions, I wish I had that. I agree, ethnicity and religion matters very little to me, the person I like at the moment is south asian (not bengali) and not a muslim but I don't care.

I'm living with my parents, they would never let me move out for uni.

ReputationRep:
    Your lucky your given the choice to make your own decisions, I wish I had that. I agree, ethnicity and religion matters very little to me, the person I like at the moment is south asian (not bengali) and not a muslim but I don't care.

I'm living with my parents, they would never let me move out for uni.
    I'm not lucky, it should be pretty normal.
    I never said religion matters little to me as I know marrying a non-Muslim/non-Jewish/non-Christian woman is out of bounds in Islam so I don't want to get into any of that. I don't need to worry about that anyway, she's Muslim.

Which ethnicity and religion is the person you're talking about?

And that's sad that they would never let you move out for uni. In my family they didn't care.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not lucky, it should be pretty normal.
    I never said religion matters little to me as I know marrying a non-Muslim/non-Jewish/non-Christian woman is out of bounds in Islam so I don't want to get into any of that. I don't need to worry about that anyway, she's Muslim.

Which ethnicity and religion is the person you're talking about?

And that's sad that they would never let you move out for uni. In my family they didn't care.
    I wouldn't marry this person if they didn't convert (,not because it matters to me but because of my parents, this is the only way they'd allow it). He's Sikh and punjabi

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't marry this person if they didn't convert (,not because it matters to me but because of my parents, this is the only way they'd allow it). He's Sikh and punjabi
    You should do what matters to you, not what matters to your parents.
    I have a Muslim friend that wants to marry a Sikh(That wants to marry him too) and they are both Punjabi. He's not going to do it unless she converts because it matters to him as it is not allowed in Islam.

ReputationRep:
    A Muslim would not date so it is a contradiction. It should be would you date someone of muslim background who is highly unlikely to be practicing Islam as they are dating.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    There are lots of Muslims who practise every other area of their religion excluding this particular one. A lot of it is down to how you interpret the Qu'ran, with it being God's word. A lenient Muslim, would still identify as a Muslim. Sins are broken every day from any religion, it doesn't completely strip someone of their faith.
    Couldnt have said it better myself

:cool: وريهم

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    You're trying to change people opinions by saying they don't have opinions. Wow.

My own view is 100% no. We would be constantly at odds, and i'm far too vocal in my opinions to be a good little Muslim wife.
    yep thats pretty much it...
    I'm sorry you feel that way you should try being a little more open minded

ReputationRep:
    NEVER!

ReputationRep:
    Yes although if they were a practising Muslim it wouldn't work because I'm not willing to convert to Islam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No never.

ReputationRep:
    As long as she doesn't mind my cartoons

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm currently seeing a guy who comes from a Muslim background but he doesn't really practice it so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    You are very xenophobic just as I expected from the other thread about feeling accepted in Britain. No wonder you supported the opinion of that white elitist. Calling Muslim women dress code like "Darth Vader" is very rude. You are a hypocrite complaining about sexism and women's rights while ridiculing women's right to dress how they please.
    HAHA, WRONG. Xenophobia is a fear of foreigners, my papa is foreign. I'm half Italian. My problem is with Islam, race has nothing to do with anything. And if you found that rude, I apologise, it was vulgar of me, but you see my point.
    Back to my original point, I could not be with a man who, whoever peacefully he practised his religion, endorsed this.

Edit: And in the other thread I was discussing people who benefit scroung and don't pay tax, what has that to do with anything?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.