The Student Room Group

UNIQ Summer School 2015

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying right now too!! Having trouble cutting my PS down... I think I've attacked the music personal statement with a bit too much enthusiasm...
(edited 9 years ago)
Just wondering, is there a 2015 Sutton Trust (Cambridge) thread anywhere? I've looked without success and was curious as to whether any of you are applying for the ST summer schools as well.

I applied for Middle Eastern Studies - anyone else do the same?
I've applied for music at the Cambridge Sutton Trust too!
Original post by TheaSands
I've applied for music at the Cambridge Sutton Trust too!

Cool, what instrument(s)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Piano and voice :smile:
What would be the average GCSE grades of a student they'd be likely to accept? I applied, but I'm not sure mine are up to standard. :/
Sutton trust or UNIQ?
Both Sutton Trust and UNIQ.
Sutton trust is based less on academic merit but more on social and economic factors, also whether your school has a link with the university you are applying for. So if you live in an "area of deprivation" and are the first in your family to go to uni then you're more likely to get in irrespective of your exam results (trusting they are not extremly atrocious!) they've taken students who get all As and students who may have achieved only 2 or 3 As, so it's not the be all and end all if your exam results aren't straight As!!

At UNIQ the minimum grades required to apply were 6 As, so I would suggest the average would be around 8/9 As, but if you have a shining personal statement which demonstrates high academic achievement and you only have the minimum 6 As you will not be overlooked. UNIQ takes into account all the same aspects as Sutton Trust but will use the personal statement to spot the most academicaly able and interesting - An applicant with a really boring personal statement but 12 A* is less likely to get a place than an applicant with an extremely interesting, diverse personal statement and 6 As.
Oh okay thanks :smile:

I got 1A** 1A* 6As and the rest B's, so hopefully my personal statement is brilliant and interesting enough for them to accept me.
Original post by TheaSands

At UNIQ the minimum grades required to apply were 6 As, so I would suggest the average would be around 8/9 As, but if you have a shining personal statement which demonstrates high academic achievement and you only have the minimum 6 As you will not be overlooked. UNIQ takes into account all the same aspects as Sutton Trust but will use the personal statement to spot the most academicaly able and interesting - An applicant with a really boring personal statement but 12 A* is less likely to get a place than an applicant with an extremely interesting, diverse personal statement and 6 As.

We recommend the minimum to apply is 4 A*s at GCSE (or equivalent) we don't consider A's at all during the process. Sutton Trust do look at other factors that we may ask for but do not consider such as parental education/income. Our selection criteria may seem similar but its actually very different once we are looking at the data.

We do look at the personal statement but its not as important as you are saying. We understand that it is many applicants first personal statement and as many have been heavily edited by a teacher/parent we do not put such a huge emphasis on it. So as long as the students cover the basics (which are listed on our website) then its considered suitable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uniqsummer
We recommend the minimum to apply is 4 A*s at GCSE (or equivalent) we don't consider A's at all during the process. Sutton Trust do look at other factors that we may ask for but do not consider such as parental education/income. Our selection criteria may seem similar but its actually very different once we are looking at the data.

We do look at the personal statement but its not as important as you are saying. We understand that it is many applicants first personal statement and as many have been heavily edited by a teacher/parent we do not put such a huge emphasis on it. So as long as the students cover the basics (which are listed on our website) then its considered suitable.

When you talk about the personal statement, how much emphasis exactly is put on it? I've applied for medicine and I am so worried that my personal statement isn't good enough. The academic side is good (I hope), but I had to cut down my personal statement majorly so I haven't mentioned much about the extra things I do etc. I'd love to be accepted even if I don't have much of a chance, although the personal statement part does worry me slightly haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the personal statement we are looking for detail and not necessarily a list of activities. Displaying your opinion and thought process count for much more than an endless list of activities.
This is a trend that follows through to undergraduate admissions where tutors will really be looking at that detail and the ability to think logically about a question you may not realise you know the answer to.
We get answers this Friday.. :O
Would u be disadvantaged then if you achieved just 4 A*s at gcse because I'm worried that's not enough now as its just the minimum.
Original post by ToLiveInADream
We get answers this Friday.. :O
I thought it was on the 20th??? Do they email us?
Original post by Charlie1o5
I thought it was on the 20th??? Do they email us?

They email us login details then we have to go onto the website to see if we were successful, afaik.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by experimentality
Would u be disadvantaged then if you achieved just 4 A*s at gcse because I'm worried that's not enough now as its just the minimum.

I think they take things into context. Ie, if, at your school, getting 4A*'s was very rare/very few people got it then you're probably in a better position than people who got 4A*'s but came from a school where most people got 10+A*s :smile:
so would they put it into the context of results achieved that year or on average by your school?
Is a school with an average of a B good or bad at gcse?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending