Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! Got back from OASC yesterday, what an amazing experience! You were all right, it is quite enjoying! I was initially scared I wasn't going to make it through to the second day, but I did and I passed fitness! - Im the only female from my course and the weekend course before ours to both make it to the second day and pass fitness, the rest either didn't get through to second day or failed fitness ! So I'm super proud of myself! It's just the wait now to find out my fate! Fingers crossed they need Police Officers haha! Thanks everyone for all your help, you're all amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    Well done Steph!
    Well unfortunately Tina, I've been asked not to appear at OASC until late 2017. Disappointed with myself as it's my second application.
    My family are dark blue, so I've decided to go that way instead!

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone, I am off to OASC in August, really looking forward to it but i am also nervous as i have heard differing stories about what people have experienced when attending Cranwell. Can anyone give me some of their experiences to help me understand what to fully expect? I know what will happen during my time there but any opinions would be great!

Going for Personnel Officer!!

ReputationRep:
    I've recently attended OASC (28th - 30th July 15) so if anyone would like any up to date details please let me know.

I'm applying for Personnel Officer, still awaiting a result, which hopefully will come sooner rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Michaelaw90!

I am off to OASC on the 16th August 2015 and i am also going for Personnel Officer like you!

Can i ask what the Schedule was when you attended and how did you find everything?

Fingers Crossed you hear back soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteA1991)
    Hi Michaelaw90!

I am off to OASC on the 16th August 2015 and i am also going for Personnel Officer like you!

Can i ask what the Schedule was when you attended and how did you find everything?

Fingers Crossed you hear back soon!
    Hello Charlotte,

My OASC experience (in order of occurrence):

Tues 28th July
    1600 - Arrive at candidates mess, RAF Cranwell to be issued room key, go to room and unpack etc.
    1800 - Dinner is served in the candidates mess.
    1830 - Brief given by the Duty Officer, explaining general outline of OASC, timings for the next day etc. Note: you will be given a form to fill out at this brief, which will be read by your interviewing officers, so ensure you know your school history, exam dates & results, employment history and your motivation to join the RAF. You'll be assessed on how you fill out this form, however there are notes for guidance; as long as you read and adhere to these, you can't go wrong.
    The rest of the evening is then your own to do with as you wish.

Weds 29th July
    0630 - Breakfast is served in the candidates mess
    0715 - Unsure on timing, will be something similar to this. Assemble at Adastral Hall, hand in the form you have filled out the night before and put on coveralls. You will then be issued your syndicate letter and individual number which will be on a bib, which you will wear throughout the day. You will be known by your syndicate letter and number.

Group discussion - You will sit in a semi-circle with your syndicate opposite the boarding officers, who will introduce a topic for you to discuss. We discussed 3 topics during my visit to OASC.

Group planning exercise - 20 mins private study, after which you will write down your proposed plan within 5 minutes, which will then be collected by the boarding officers. You will then discuss your plans as a group and create a collective plan which you will present as a group.

Hangar famil - This section is not assessed, it is purely for information only. It will comprise of health & safety, general hangar rules and some tips which may help during your exercises, such as how to construct partial bridges.

Leaderless exercise - The syndicate will now take part in an exercise with no designated leader, you will be given 30 mins to complete the task. Remember to speak up, you can only be assessed on what the boarding officers hear and see.

Packed lunch.

Individual leads - Each member of the syndicate will complete an individual lead, in which you will be given 15 mins to complete the task.

Individual planning exercise - 20mins private study to formulate a plan, and then you will present your plan and be asked questions over 10mins by a boarding officer.

- End of the Exercise Phase -

Thurs 30th July
    0630 - Breakfast is served in the candidates mess.
    0750 - Arrive at Adastral Hall to be told whether you have passed the exercise phase.

Interviews - Conducted by 2 boarding officers, each covering different sections.

Free time between interview and lunch.

1200 - Lunch is served in the candidates mess.

1315 - Assemble in the candidates mess to transit to the gym for fitness testing.

Fitness test - Conduct Multi stage fitness test (bleep test), 1 minute of press ups and 1 minute of sit ups. Remember good form. Fitness standards & examples of good form will be included as part of your joining instructions.

Once the fitness test has been completed you will then be free to depart.

My feelings on OASC:
    I felt that the days were quite mentally draining, coupled with a previous nights sleep in a strange bed and physical activities throughout the day - you are really ready for sleep at the end of day 1. However I also found the process quite enjoyable, particularly the hangar exercises, which can even be fun at times.

If I were to give any short advice it would be show enthusiasm at all times and make sure you are loud enough (the boarding officers kept reminding us that they can only assess what they see and what they hear).

If you'd like to know anything else don't hesitate to ask. It's now just time for the long wait!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Michael,Thank you for explaining the schedule, I already had a feeling that, what you described above, was going to be the correct schedule but i just wanted confirmation.

i am looking forward to OASC but i am also apprehensive as i have heard mixed opinions on what to expect. however i will just take it as it comes and give it my all!

Good luck and I hope you are successful!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't expect anything, you can't be disappointed. The days are tough, and very fast paced as you fit a lot in during a short period of time. However as I mentioned parts are actually enjoyable, and there are moments in which you can share appropriate humour with the boarding staff, so don't worry too much.

Thank you for the well wishes, good luck with OASC, let us know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelaw90)
    If you don't expect anything, you can't be disappointed. The days are tough, and very fast paced as you fit a lot in during a short period of time. However as I mentioned parts are actually enjoyable, and there are moments in which you can share appropriate humour with the boarding staff, so don't worry too much.

Thank you for the well wishes, good luck with OASC, let us know how you get on.
    Hi Michaelaw90, I too was on the same OASC board as you! Which syndicate were you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelaw90)

- End of the Exercise Phase -

Thurs 30th July
    0630 - Breakfast is served in the candidates mess.
    0750 - Arrive at Adastral Hall to be told whether you have passed the exercise phase.

Interviews - Conducted by 2 boarding officers, each covering different sections.

Free time between interview and lunch.

1200 - Lunch is served in the candidates mess.
    Just to add to that, applicants for Pilot, RPAS, ABM, ATC, and WSOp will have their medical on the morning of the final day. On mine it was while the other candidates went through their interviews, then we had our interviews while they had their free time before lunch.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at OASC 25th August?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Went into sift on 20th May, and am expecting to hear back this month. Safe to say that I'm about ready to lose my mind!!

Anyone got any info on the sift for August?
    Cheers!

P.S. You guys on OASC this month, have a blast and best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will12murray)
    Hey guys,

Went into sift on 20th May, and am expecting to hear back this month. Safe to say that I'm about ready to lose my mind!!

Anyone got any info on the sift for August?
    Cheers!

P.S. You guys on OASC this month, have a blast and best of luck!!

Join the club mate! Been in the sift since February now. Had an email 2 months ago saying i didn't make it through that sift so really hoping my score is competitive enough when the selection board convene again.

interested to know when this next sift may be if anybody knows?

Good luck to everyone else going through the process!

ReputationRep:
    Nice to know I'm not alone. What are you going for mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will12murray)
    Nice to know I'm not alone. What are you going for mate?
    I too have been put in the sift, was told start of August.

Applying pilot, what about you chaps?

ReputationRep:
    Pilot as well fella. Got an email from the AFCO today saying to that unfortunately it is just a waiting game, so trying not to think about it!

ReputationRep:
    I am also in the same boat. Had OASC in Jul and in the dreadful waiting game known as the sift. I think OCT may be cutting it fine now?! Here's hoping we get a call for Jan intake soon! Wish I knew the board dates. I am applying for Ops Officer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephh.)
    Hey everyone! Got back from OASC yesterday, what an amazing experience! You were all right, it is quite enjoying! I was initially scared I wasn't going to make it through to the second day, but I did and I passed fitness! - Im the only female from my course and the weekend course before ours to both make it to the second day and pass fitness, the rest either didn't get through to second day or failed fitness ! So I'm super proud of myself! It's just the wait now to find out my fate! Fingers crossed they need Police Officers haha! Thanks everyone for all your help, you're all amazing!!
    just curious, was it 2.4km run or bleep test? I've got my OASC fairly soon and I'm terrified! Any chance you could say roughly which exercises were on which day in terms of leadership/group discussions/medical/interview/fitness???

ReputationRep:
    Greetings all.

I'm currently waiting on a date to attend OASC and if anyone could provide some info on the following that would be great;

Plan ex: how difficult are these? any way to improve?

Leadership exercise: what exactly is being assessed? key to good score?

Medical: do you talk through your records? or doing hand stands against the wall?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    What is the average wait to hear back after you have completed OASC?

Some people have said that they have been called up within 5 days of completion saying they have a place.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.