Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by buxtonarmy)
    Hi,
    I have a Medicine offer of AAA that I have firmed. I was wondering if I may still be accepted even if I miss these grades and get lower such as AAB? In addition what would happen if I were to get A*AB as it's equivalent? Finally as I take four A Levels would I be accepted with A*ABB?

Also what are the specific telephone numbers to ring the Medical school directly come results day?

Thank you
    Good afternoon

We appreciate that this is an anxious time as everyone waits for their results, but please try not to worry. If there are places left on a course, we will consider the applications of those students who chose Sheffield but missed their grades. We take into account the grades achieved, the number of A-levels taken, the subjects a student chose, and we may re-read the UCAS personal statement so that we make the best decision based on the information available to us. If you need to contact us on results day, the Clearing helpline is 0114 222 8015. This helpline is for all of our courses (including medicine) and will be open from 7.30am on Thursday 13 August.

I hope all goes well and you get the grades you need.

Best regards

Elizabeth
    UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kemosabe99)
    Hey, Archaeology is BBB for both 2015 & 2016 yet for Clearing it is listed here (https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/courses/...eyword%5D=F400) as being ABB. Is it possible to inquire why this is the case?

Many thanks
    Good afternoon

I've double-checked with Admissions and the BA and BSc Archaeology degree courses are currently asking for ABB during Clearing. This is different to the requirements published for the main recruitment cycles for 2015 and 2016 entry.

The entry requirements for Clearing and Adjustment can differ to those we use in the main cycle. The adjustments are based on our estimates of how many vacancies we're likely to have on each course and how many applications we expect to receive to ensure we recruit the very strongest candidates. We are confident in the estimates we make but we also appreciate that any estimate can only be indicative. We would advise students who are considering applying to archaeology through Clearing to advance register if they expect to get ABB or very close to this (BBB). To advance register, please visit our website at:
    https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/

Best regards

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ravster235)
    Hi,
    I have received a conditional offer for AeroSpace Engineering.
    I was just wondering if on results day do the university send out acceptance emails prior to the actual results being realised (8am) or not?
    I know some students who received emails around 6am in previous years?

Thanks
    Hello

I've checked with our Admissions team and UCAS Track is the best place to find out which university has confirmed your place.

If you have met your offer and you are coming to Sheffield, we will email you on Thursday but it is usually later in the day (and not first thing in the morning). The purpose of this email is to say 'well done' and to provide you with information that will help as you prepare to come to Sheffield.

I hope that's useful.

Best regards

Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    I am an Indian Student who got an offer for MSc in Structural Engineering for September 2015 intake. How can I apply for "Indian Sheffield Scholarship 2015"? It is given as an automatic scholarship and no application will be required. How will I know if I will be getting the scholarship? The tuition fee is mentioned as £19,250 in the offer letter and there is no details provided about the scholarship in the offer letter.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kamalmaricar)
    I am an Indian Student who got an offer for MSc in Structural Engineering for September 2015 intake. How can I apply for "Indian Sheffield Scholarship 2015"? It is given as an automatic scholarship and no application will be required. How will I know if I will be getting the scholarship? The tuition fee is mentioned as £19,250 in the offer letter and there is no details provided about the scholarship in the offer letter.
    Good morning

Thank you for your query. I will need some extra details to help find the answers so I'll send you a private message through studentroom.

Best regards

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi everyone

Some of our current students have been keeping a regular blog. As A-level results day is now just one week away, I thought a couple of the posts from Stef Lo, who joined us through Clearing last year and is currently studying LLB Law with Spanish Law, would be particularly useful:

A reflection on applying through Clearing
    https://shefunistudents.wordpress.co...aring-process/

If you don't get the results you were looking for, please give us a call. Our friendly staff will be on our Clearing Helpline from 7.30am on Thursday - 0114 222 8015. There's also some really helpful FAQs if you'd like to know more about Results and Clearing 2015: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/clearing/resultsfaqs

Ten things to pack for uni and eight things to leave at home
    https://shefunistudents.wordpress.co...leave-at-home/
    This is an invaluable list for all freshers and new students!

All the best

Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do you know how long it takes before you get accommodation information after you've had your place confirmed on ucas?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by serafina44)
    Hi, do you know how long it takes before you get accommodation information after you've had your place confirmed on ucas?
    Hi

The timeframe for applying for accommodation and receiving confirmation about a place varies depending on your personal circumstances.

If Sheffield was your Firm choice AND you applied for accommodation before the deadline AND you achieved your offer then we aim to make you an accommodation offer by the close of business on Friday 14th August. You then have time to decide if you would like to accept the room or not.

If Sheffield was your Insurance choice and you are now coming to Sheffield OR if you accepted an offer through Clearing, you can only apply for accommodation when you have made Sheffield your Firm choice (ie when your status has changed to Unconditional Firm). You will then be sent a link to the accommodation application form. Allocating rooms to students who apply for accommodation in August takes longer but we will confirm if you have a room in university accommodation by end of August/early September (at the very latest).

As we are currently preparing for Clearing, the accommodation application form is not available. It will be live again from 10am on Thursday 13 August:
    http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommoda...spective/apply

I hope that's useful.

Best regards

Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a conditional (firm) Economics and Politics offer of AAB, however on your clearing site it says to enquire if your predicted grades are ABB. Does this mean that you might be a bit more flexible if it turns out that I haven't quite met my offer? Sorry if this sounds desperate.

ReputationRep:
    When would we need to pay the deposit by?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Handles)
    Hi, I have a conditional (firm) Economics and Politics offer of AAB, however on your clearing site it says to enquire if your predicted grades are ABB. Does this mean that you might be a bit more flexible if it turns out that I haven't quite met my offer? Sorry if this sounds desperate.
    I had exactly the same thought but my course is just straight politics. I hope they are lenient because I am worried I'll get ABB too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lara.h)
    I had exactly the same thought but my course is just straight politics. I hope they are lenient because I am worried I'll get ABB too
    I'm more worried about getting AAC But that's technically equal to ABB, so maybe they'll be lenient?

ReputationRep:
    I'm more worried about getting AAC But that's technically equal to ABB, so maybe they'll be lenient?
    It's so hard to judge how exams went, best to just wait until thursday and hopefully we'll both be starting in September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lara.h)
    It's so hard to judge how exams went, best to just wait until thursday and hopefully we'll both be starting in September!
    It is, especially as it's so long since they finished. Yeah, hopefully
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Good morning

I totally understand why you've asked this question - it is a worrying time as you wait to receive your results. Our Clearing website and advanced registration form enable us to gather interest from students who are interested in studying at Sheffield. If a course has places in Clearing we still look to recruit students who meet the regular entry requirement (in this case AAB). However, if the course is in Clearing, then it's very likely that there will be flexibility with grades and we may make a lower offer (eg ABB) and this is why we encourage people to enquire if they are predicted ABB.

As a Firm offer holder, we value the commitment you have shown to Sheffield. In terms of allocating course places, first we allocate places to all those who have met their offer. If there are still places on the course, we then review the 'near misses', students who have missed their offer, starting with those who miss by one grade. We review each UCAS application and then decide which of these students will have their place on the course confirmed. Therefore, if you miss your offer by a grade, you may still have your place confirmed. However, we can't give any guarantees as it all depends on how many places are left on the course and the level of competition between 'near miss' students for places.

When we made you an offer to study at Sheffield, we saw your potential and believed that you could get AAB in your A-levels and we stand by that decision!

Good luck on Thursday.

Best regards

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by GettingFit2015)
    When would we need to pay the deposit by?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good morning

Please can you send me a direct message via the studentroom providing some extra information so I can look into this for you? What is the deposit for? Are you a UK, EU or International student? Are you studying at undergraduate or postgraduate level?

Many thanks

Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The University of Sheffield)
    Good morning

I totally understand why you've asked this question - it is a worrying time as you wait to receive your results. Our Clearing website and advanced registration form enable us to gather interest from students who are interested in studying at Sheffield. If a course has places in Clearing we still look to recruit students who meet the regular entry requirement (in this case AAB). However, if the course is in Clearing, then it's very likely that there will be flexibility with grades and we may make a lower offer (eg ABB) and this is why we encourage people to enquire if they are predicted ABB.

As a Firm offer holder, we value the commitment you have shown to Sheffield. In terms of allocating course places, first we allocate places to all those who have met their offer. If there are still places on the course, we then review the 'near misses', students who have missed their offer, starting with those who miss by one grade. We review each UCAS application and then decide which of these students will have their place on the course confirmed. Therefore, if you miss your offer by a grade, you may still have your place confirmed. However, we can't give any guarantees as it all depends on how many places are left on the course and the level of competition between 'near miss' students for places.

When we made you an offer to study at Sheffield, we saw your potential and believed that you could get AAB in your A-levels and we stand by that decision!

Good luck on Thursday.

Best regards

Elizabeth
    Okay, thanks for the reply. So near misses are addressed before clearing applications, but after adjustment applications?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Okay, thanks for the reply. So near misses are addressed before clearing applications, but after adjustment applications?
    Hi,

Normally 'near misses' are considered before Clearing and before Adjustment applications.

Best regards

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Good afternoon

We will be taking our advance registration form for Clearing offline at 6pm today. If you would like to receive advance notification of our Clearing vacancies, you must register this afternoon at: https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/

Our Clearing Helpline (0114 222 8015) will be open from 7.30am on Thursday 13 August.

Best regards

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Good morning Guys,

Congratulations to everyone getting their results, I hope you're all feeling happy with them.

My name's Kyle, I'm a Modern Languages student here at The University of Sheffield, and I'll be here to answer any questions you might have today.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.