Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it rude to constantly turn people down watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Like for dates? I mean I get it if there's no attraction but what if you generally just don't click?

i just feel like,it makes me look bad.
    i've had many offers from respectable,great looking gentlemen and I was joking about this whole situation with a friend of mine yesterday who said something along the lines of... It doesn't make you look good and would put me off ever asking you out,even tho I knew he joking but I guess he has a point.

i just truly want to be with a certain person right now but I don't want to come across an an arrogant young lady to other men who ask me out.
    Uh, no. It is ok to constantly turn people down if you can foresee that you don't like to be with that guy. You could save yourself from a potentially awkward night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    It's not bothering me... I was just giving my thoughts on the thread to another poster. You're not doing a very convincing job of not caring what strangers think of you.
    Move on
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Move on
    Ah, pictorial comebacks - the very hallmark of nonchalance! Do keep your signals of indifference coming.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, pictorial comebacks - the very hallmark of nonchalance! Do keep your signals of indifference coming.
    You obviously have something against me so I won't entertain your nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously have something against me so I won't entertain your nonsense.
    Yes you will.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will.
    Don't get me started,now,run along dear,I'm not in the mood for this BS of yours.

ReputationRep:
    Like for dates? I mean I get it if there's no attraction but what if you generally just don't click?

i've had many offers from respectable,great looking gentlemen and I was joking about this whole situation with a friend of mine yesterday who said something along the lines of... It doesn't make you look good and would put me off ever asking you out,even tho I knew he joking but I guess he has a point.

i just truly want to be with a certain person right now but I don't want to come across an an arrogant young lady to other men who ask me out.
    That friend is yours is definitely into you, btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moxley)
    That friend is yours is definitely into you, btw.
    He clearly isn't,he has a girlfriend

ReputationRep:

Personally if I were to ask you out and you didn't like me, I would appreciate it if you just told.

obviously be cool about it without wasting their time.

ReputationRep:
    This thread took a turn for the sassy

ReputationRep:
    He clearly isn't, he has a girlfriend
    Have I taught you nothing? :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Clearly you're not aware of the situation?
    He has a girlfriend. He's had plenty of opportunities to get more than friendly while he was single instead he was actually looking out for me,and was filtering date requests from his male friends. Clearly,he doesn't like me that way. We are just good friends.

ReputationRep:
    He has a girlfriend. He's had plenty of opportunities to get more than friendly while he was single instead he was actually looking out for me, and was filtering date requests from his male friends

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not by the sounds of it? You can't have feelings for someone else if you're in a committed relationship,it's wrong and he's not the type to hide stuff

ReputationRep:
    You can't have feelings for someone else if you're in a committed relationship
    False assumption, and "into you" (keen on you) =/= 'feelings', necessarily

he's not the type to hide stuff
    You never know + he may have become keen over time + he may not know himself how keen he is + girls and guys can rarely be 'just friends' (especially when the girl is pretty). You may well be right, but "clearly isn't" was not a sound proposition, on the information given. A good friend who has no vested interest/particular personal agenda would never push a girl into accepting date invitations from guys she wasn't sufficiently interested in, unless socially retarded :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    False assumption, and "into you" (keen on you) =/= 'feelings', necessarily

You never know + he may have become keen over time + he may not know himself how keen he is + girls and guys can rarely be 'just friends' (especially when the girl is pretty). You may well be right, but "clearly isn't" was not a sound proposition, on the information given. A good friend who has no vested interest/particular personal agenda would never push a girl into accepting date invitations from guys she wasn't sufficiently interested in, unless socially retarded :lolwut:
    He isn't keen for many reasons. He was just using that as an example to push me to actually go out into the dating world and not wait for Prince Charming to just come to me.
    It's better than a friend who would prevent you fron trying to get to know other people because he's somewhat jealous but this guy has actually pushed me to get real.
    So,no.clearly he has no interest.
    this particular guy is popular among young wenches and is the most social person I know.

ReputationRep:
    It's better than a friend who would prevent you fron trying to get to know other people because he's somewhat jealous
    Agreed, but it's still irresponsible

this guy has actually pushed me to get real
    To get real? This is the reality: "i just truly want to be with a certain person right now". If he's a good/sensible friend he'll respect that

this particular guy is popular among young wenches and is the most social person I know
    That's great, but relative abundance doesn't mean that the attraction switch is suddenly turned off where the male psyche is concerned :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, but it's still irresponsible

To get real? This is the reality: "i just truly want to be with a certain person right now". If he's a good/sensible friend he'll respect that

That's great, but relative abundance doesn't mean that the attraction switch is suddenly turned off where the male psyche is concerned :rolleyes:
    I'm gonna put your theory to the test in a few minutes..
    If a guy knows he popular amount girls and gets all the attention+all the sex he wants on a regular basis,then even if he is attracted to a certain girl he would most likely forget all about it and move on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna put your theory to the test in a few minutes..
    The only way you could really know with a high degree of certainly is if you flirt with him when he's inebriated, and single, in person :beard:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Unless he has the same devotion to honesty that I do

If a guy knows he popular amount girls and gets all the attention+all the sex he wants on a regular basis, then even if he is attracted to a certain girl he would most likely forget all about it and move on
    Sure, if they have little/no contact, but otherwise it will crop up every now and then, it's only natural

Spoiler:
    Show
    The exception, where I'm concerned, being when I have feelings for the girl I am seeing, then it's like tunnel vision

ReputationRep:
    why apologize for not finding someone attractive, like you cant help it, no reason to be sorry. If people think your arrogant or fussy, screw them. Why date someone you don't even find attractive you'd be wasting their time and your own and that's far crueler than just saying no. It shouldn't matter what others think of you, their words don't define who you are.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.