Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by молодой гений)
    ...you really think that a bunch of women lined up and begged to be put naked into newspapers? Or (what actually happened) that it was a concept introduced by seedy old men (remember, even, that until 2003 16-year-olds were allowed to be on there)?

No one is stopping anyone from selling topless photos of themselves. There are countless places on the internet and in print that cater to that. A publication which sells itself as a 'family newspaper' is not the place to do that.

Look, I'm attracted to women, and yeah, those pictures are hot. But I'm also fully aware that where they are - in the most widely-read newspaper in the UK (the collective intellect of our nation is, it seems, at a decline) - is entirely inappropriate.

Equally, if naked 18-year-old boys went on BBC Breakfast and were presented as 'Harry from Newcastle thinks that Putin's invasion of Crimea is totally bonkers!', that would not be appropriate at all. Even if I do appreciate looking at male underwear models.
    Stop embarrassing our whole country and ethnicity with your white knight bull****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessJulia)
    Whiny brat.
    Soznotsoz.

ReputationRep:
    I am a woman. I do not care about Page 3. I believe there is still gender inequality but not in the way many hardcore feminists like to nitpick at, especially when they nitpick at situations or people who are merely a symptom of whatever 'problem' they see. In the page 3 case, why not hold a campaign against ALL female models for exposing themselves instead of going after the paper that is clearly responding to a demand?

Don't get me wrong, men thinking it's okay to openly stare at a woman's chest, regardless of how she's dressed, or spew sexual vulgarities is clearly an issue, since such overt behaviour implies they think it's normal, or even their right without having to consider how the woman feels. Or rather, such behaviour can make a women feel threatened and cornered.

Yet, apart from such situations, I feel the pressure on women to fit into a societal stereotype is often channeled via other women. Women are the ones telling other women they need to get married before they're 30. Women are the ones yakking on about girl empowerment (which in reality often ends up becoming discrimination against men in the workplace), and if you don't buy into that crap, you're considered a traitor. Women are the ones putting down other women for not being good-enough mothers. Women are the ones who compare kitchens and make other women who have not-so-nice kitchens feel they are lacking something utterly life-changing, even though not a single one of them can cook. Worst of all, women even compare their husbands or significant others - if yours isn't earning/providing as much as another's it is as much a failure on your part as a wife as it is the husband's.

(As a sidenote, I think what Blazar mentioned about looking good for oneself is entirely possible. I am not a professional psychologist but I think it's why people sometimes dress-up or put on make up even if the're not stepping out of the house at all. To get into a certain mood, perhaps, especially if they work from home.)

ReputationRep:
    The sun must have something else up their sleeve, they are aware that most of their readership is due to the breasts right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazar)
    Well, as a woman I'm quite happy about this. Hopefully men will stop objectifying us so much in future.
    There are so many women that love men to look at their "breasts" though. They do that as their job and for a living, and it means less money for the models. It may increase the amount of sexually frustrated men, you never know. I don't particularly look at page 3 at all but that's just my opinion of the situation to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    ...the knack for completely missing the point is strong in this one.
    What I'm saying is removing page 3 girls from the sun is not going to change how men see women. That's just how it's going to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    What I'm saying is removing page 3 girls from the sun is not going to change how men see women. That's just how it's going to be.
    Yeah, i see what you mean. If women don't want to me portrayed that way though, then they should just keep them in. The less that do it then, not that many women will become vulnerable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cell Walls)
    It may increase the amount of sexually frustrated men
    All they have to do is use Google. It's free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wightvader1)
    Stop embarrassing our whole country and ethnicity with your white knight bull****.
    ...do you want to reply to a single one of my points, or...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by молодой гений)
    All they have to do is use Google. It's free.
    All males will use Google at some point for explicit content, just don't know whether page 3 girls (which has been a big thing for many years) will affect it in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe you're referring to internalised misogyny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Page three is going to stop showing topless models

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...pless-pictures

As someone who can't for the life of them get a girlfriend this is the only way I can possibly see them.

But I hear there is this thing called Google images. Apparently there is a huge supply of boobs on there.

I will report my findings.

Edit: Disclaimer, I feel the need to point out that I have never bought a copy of the Sun. I'm not actually personally upset there is no more page 3.
    There will probably be a naked man with his manhood out. Page 3 with have to cater to the Fem Dom Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get why people care? People ALWAYS only want things that benefit them and complain about stuff that doesn't. However, some people (for example, certain feminists) somehow get influenced that all their problems are caused by anything but themselves. How the heck do a few topless pictures in a newspaper affect your life? There are just too many people in the world that just love to hate and stir arguments over STUPID things. The worse thing about is, is that some of these people are hypocrites or just plain stupid. I remember reading a comment on Youtube in a song video that went on about how some groups are always stereotyped and what not. It ended with "F Russia"....Yep, because every single Russian is homophobic, woman hating Putin follower?

I have only seen the sun like once in my life and so has probably most of the people "campaigning" against page 3. If people genuinely believe that A PAGE in a newspaper is worth campaigning for, they are lost in their own world and cannot see the real issues with the world.

Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    It's more about the fact that male nipples aren't generally sexualised, whereas female ones are.
    Female nipples are not sexualised on lasses whom are not attractive generally. Much in the same way as the bodies of tubby guys are not published in magazines. Yet male fitness models torso`s are....and in a big way too. Ive seen plenty of topless fellas on magazines aimed at woman and produced by woman.

I really don't understand why things like this are being wiped out. To want to look at these things is a pretty natural thing. For both genders.

I can tell you for certain that woman sexualise men just as much. I lived with 3 extroverted female students. They treated men like throw away sex toys.

Honestly stop viewing the world with blinkers and only seeing information that suits your agenda.

ReputationRep:
    As a man, I'm glad they've taken Page 3 off. It's vulgar, disgusting and objectifying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    The sun must have something else up their sleeve, they are aware that most of their readership is due to the breasts right?
    I think that you may find that this is an entirely commercial decision.

What has changed in the 40 odd years of Page 3 is the development of a much greater celebrity culture. That culture has largely passed Page 3 by. It is 30 years since Linda Lusardi and Samantha Fox found fame and fortune by appearing on Page 3.

Celebrities appear in magazines, in calendars, on catwalks and go to red carpet events wearing very little including appearing topless or with see through tops. Yet none of them would contemplate doing Page 3. It would be seen as career suicide. Instead, Page 3 comprises a set of virtually unknown models who, whether they realise it or not, are sacrificing any chance of success as a singer, dancer, actress, TV presenter, reality show participant etc by doing Page 3.

My guess is that Murdoch and his staff have made a judgement call that celebrities wearing minimal amounts of clothing artfully draped will sell more newspapers than unknowns posing bare chested.

Very, very noticeably the first Sun this week featured on page 3 two actresses in bikinis who wouldn't have been seen dead on Page 3, but whom the Daily Mail in December thought would sell newspapers by being shown in various states of undress.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ing-shoot.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...nds-Dubai.html

ReputationRep:
    Great news. Wouldn't wish the image of a topless woman on anyone

ReputationRep:
    Hallelujah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dada55)
    I just don't get why people care? People ALWAYS only want things that benefit them and complain about stuff that doesn't. However, some people (for example, certain feminists) somehow get influenced that all their problems are caused by anything but themselves. How the heck do a few topless pictures in a newspaper affect your life? There are just too many people in the world that just love to hate and stir arguments over STUPID things. The worse thing about is, is that some of these people are hypocrites or just plain stupid. I remember reading a comment on Youtube in a song video that went on about how some groups are always stereotyped and what not. It ended with "F Russia"....Yep, because every single Russian is homophobic, woman hating Putin follower?

I have only seen the sun like once in my life and so has probably most of the people "campaigning" against page 3. If people genuinely believe that A PAGE in a newspaper is worth campaigning for, they are lost in their own world and cannot see the real issues with the world.

Rant over.
    I'm sorry, but I feel that is such a white middle class male view.

let me change that post:

"I just don't get why people care? People ALWAYS only want things that benefit them and complain about stuff that doesn't. However, some people (for example, certain RACIAL EQUALITY ACTIVISTS) somehow get influenced that all their problems are caused by anything but themselves. How the heck do a few N-WORDS in a newspaper affect your life? There are just too many people in the world that just love to hate and stir arguments over STUPID things. The worse thing about is, is that some of these people are hypocrites or just plain stupid. I remember reading a comment on Youtube in a song video that went on about how some groups are always stereotyped and what not. It ended with "F Russia"....Yep, because every single Russian is homophobic, BLACK hating Putin follower?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you care about the soon-to-be lack of nipples in a newspaper... you're clearly have no internet connection

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.