Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by LarryLovegood)
    I think he meant that this should apply to the long-term homeless people who are crippled by heroin addiction (yes, stemming from probable mental health problems, arising from perhaps early, unresolved trauma, parental neglect, etc.).

VERY FEW are able to bounce back to living a happy, stable, healthy and well-adjusted life, after being in that situation for so long. Only a very determined and extraordinarily resilient minority can do it. I've often heard/read that, even when recovering addicts have overcome the physical addiction they once had to heroin, their MIND is still craving it for YEARS afterwards.
    So we should just give up on all of these lives just because rehabilitation is difficult?

(Original post by SH0405)
    But they've killed someone.
    Yes. Your point being?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    People are living too long nowadays.

What with the labour party's brilliant idea of reducing 30% of the country's working lives by three years by encouraging them to go to university whether necessary or not, and the coalition's tripling of the university debt to pay off once those people do get into work, how does anybody expect the working population to properly sustain the elderly?
    You ever seen the movie "Logan's Run"? I think it might be just your thing.

As for my most controversial view....Hm. I know I have them, but it's difficult to say. Maybe:
    1. Newscorp should be forced to sell all its newspapers. Having different fronts doesn't make each paper a different corporation.
    2. Students should be given greater respect by teachers, at least in GCSE and A-level years. Teachers on one side holding all the power only serves to make them lazy and unwilling to apply proper teaching methods. They need something to balance them, not cower in fear of punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xin Xang)
    Just out of interest how would you plan to punish an individual who imprisoned people illegally.

You would send them to prison right?

Hmmm :sly:

Something along the lines of house arrest, where they can still have a normal job and life. There are a few other alternatives to incarceration which have proven to be beneficial in comparison to imprisonment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamix.forllz)
    such as? it's known that blacks, whites have different suspectibility to diseases, so not so controversial.

As well as behavioural characteristics e.g. aggressiveness, politeness, intelligence even..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gauntlets28)
    You ever seen the movie "Logan's Run"? I think it might be just your thing.
    Ha! I haven't, but after reading the synopsis thanks for the insinuation.

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating killing the elderly.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    I'm in both camps here to some degree. I accept our influence must be having an effect but I'm skeptical of how much...

Last year was the warmest year on record (according to Nasa) by 0.02c.

CO2 is at record levels yet global sea ice extent was 8.2% above the 1981-2011 rolling average. So therefore casting doubt on the 'irrefutable' impact of CO2... I'd argue that CO2, as a bi-carbonate, actually reduces changes in the oceans as it mitigates the acidity of the water. As can be seen from the fact that global seas are less acidic than in 1910. I'd argue SO2 (emitted from volcanos) with a PH of -1 is far more harmful than an increase in CO2 with a PH of 4/5. Acidity of oceans is an argument used by green groups since it would kill wildlife if it significantly changed, which it hasn't.

I admit this quote is cherry picked by skeptics... But Dr Vinter who was principal for climate change said in 2000 that out children 'won't know what snow looks like in 20 years'

In 1967, there was 18.6 million km of snow globally, today 19.7.....

Southern Hemisphere sea temperatures are the same as 1979... So your 'CO2 is rising, our oceans are therefore rising' does not totally correlate...

I'm on my phone and busy but if I get time later I'll (firstly post links) and secondly put some other 'facts' which don't fit the GW agenda.
    Right, let's go through this again...

Global sea ice extent is very different from global sea ice volume, which is in turn different from global ice volume. If the sea ice is thinning, you can have an increase in sea ice extent whilst having a decrease in sea ice volume, and this is indeed precisely what is happening. Sea ice extent is only a proxy for sea ice volume and recent research has indicated that it's not a particularly good proxy. There are of course natural fluctuations in the signal but global ice volume is irrefutably decreasing. There are some anomalies in Antarctica but that's actually precisely because of the increase in the heat content of the earth. Nevertheless, the overall picture is that sea ice volume is consistently decreasing.

Your second paragraph is just stupid. CO2 does not mitigate the acidity of the water. The formation of carbonic acid through the dissolving of CO2 in water is the driving cause of ocean acidification. If you're refuting that then you are refuting elementary chemistry, there is literally zero debate about this. I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea that pH was more acidic in 1910 from because that's also just completely wrong. The instrumental record for oceanic pH only dates back to around the 1950s but all of the available proxies suggest that the oceanic pH is the lowest it has been in the last few tens of millions of years. The only graphs I can find that suggest anything close to the trend you're talking about are some handmade excel graphs using fabricated data from some dodgy climate denialist websites. The fact that the ocean is acidifying at an unprecedented rate is absolutely irrefutable, not even the most hardcore climate change denialists refute that. The SO2 emissions are very low in comparison with CO2 emissions so they're negligible despite their lower pH. To argue that they're more important is wrong, there is no argument to be made.

I don't know what your sources are for the snowfall time series but regardless, even if it's true you can't draw any conclusions from that. As you yourself have said, point statistics are meaningless. What you need is a time series to see the trend. And on top of that, higher temperatures can actually lead to higher snowfall, particularly if it's the sub-polar regions that are experiencing significant warmth.

I don't know what your sources are for sea temperatures being the same as they were in 1979, that's directly contradicted by data from HadCRUT. Regardless, the important thing is heat content rather than surface temperature but even surface temperatures are rising.

You're not even using good arguments. I've spoken to people before who used arguments that actually make a small iota of sense but everything you've said so far is either cherry picked or purely fabricated.

ReputationRep:
    Fat people are lazy.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    HS2 is more likely to make the other major cities a satellite for London, benefiting London much more than the major cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Homosexuality is pathological

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Homophobia is pathological.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostwanderer)
    Higher education should be free
    That it was right university fees increased to £9k a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    HS2 is more likely to make the other major cities a satellite for London, benefiting London much more than the major cities.
    I agree. I think there was a study a while ago saying that most jobs created by HS2 will be in London and the South.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Blazar)
    Homophobia is pathological.
    Im not homophobic. In the same way I'm not discriminatory towards people with other diseases and disabilities.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Im not homophobic. In the same way I'm not discriminatory towards people with other diseases and disabilities.
    Not entirely sure why you're calling it a disease or a disability. I'm pretty sure you're on your own using that definition.

ReputationRep:
    i believe that drugs are uncool. there i said it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Not entirely sure why you're calling it a disease or a disability. I'm pretty sure you're on your own using that definition.
    I gave my reasoning on the second page, copy + paste:

"It's a disorder of reproduction, specifically sexual attraction. It is clearly not a choice, and many studies have implicated a genetic component. Some would argue that a certain proportion of the population being gay actually confers overall reproductive benefit (something to do with demographic stability I'm not quite sure), but other diseases may also be beneficial in some aspects - CF and cholera, Sickle-cell and malaria.

However, what is important is that gay people should still have rights and be treated with respect. Like we don't make fun of the physically disabled."

And yes you're right, not many people agree with me on this. That's why this view is controversial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Homophobic attitudes and bigoted views should be OUTLAWED!

#It's2015
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I gave my reasoning on the second page, copy + paste:

"It's a disorder of reproduction, specifically sexual attraction. It is clearly not a choice, and many studies have implicated a genetic component. Some would argue that a certain proportion of the population being gay actually confers overall reproductive benefit (something to do with demographic stability I'm not quite sure), but other diseases may also be beneficial in some aspects - CF and cholera, Sickle-cell and malaria.

However, what is important is that gay people should still have rights and be treated with respect. Like we don't make fun of the physically disabled."

And yes you're right, not many people agree with me on this. That's why this view is controversial.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it really were a disease then I doubt it would have proliferated so much in other species. I'm not entirely sure to what extent the whole "population control" argument is true but the fact that homosexuality has propagated throughout different species through evolution suggests that it infers a benefit to a species.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    If it really were a disease then I doubt it would have proliferated so much in other species. I'm not entirely sure to what extent the whole "population control" argument is true but the fact that homosexuality has propagated throughout different species through evolution suggests that it infers a benefit to a species.
    And as I said, some disease may carry an evolutionary benefit (like cystic fibrosis and sickle-cell anaemia). The key part where people differ is whether or not homosexuality is a disorder of individual behaviour or not. Some people would say it's a 'normal variation of normal' but I would say it's 'abnormal.' If Asperger's syndrome (linked to high testosterone in utero) is a disorder then surely male homosexuality (linked to low testosterone in utero) is a disorder on the opposite end of the spectrum?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Department for Education should be independent from the government just like the central bank is.

Surely it's better than teachers and people that know and have worked the education system take decisions rather than ill-informed politicians.

ReputationRep:
    I think smoking cuban cigars just look cool. I mean I've never done it but it just looks so damn cool.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.