The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Gonville and Caius College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
why is it risky? do it. it will help. and it's not that hard.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 181
Its risky because if i get an offer it will include an A in further maths, and teaching myself AS and A2 further maths and getting an A sounds pretty tough.
But yeh i probably should do it.

Thank you
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else on TSR has booked a place for the Caius Open Day on July 5th? Just thought I'd say hi! :biggrin: I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me the format of the day and what time it starts... hopefully about 10 otherwise I'll have to get some ridiculously early train! :frown: I'm interested in applying for English if that helps :biggrin: Thanks very much and hey :smile:
Hi there Neutral Tones!

I'm afraid I've had a look and I'm actually going on the day after, the 6th. Never mind though as I'm going to be stuck with my dad the whole day anyway! He's an old Caius student, don't think that'll help my application in any way but it'll certainly be nice having someone who knows the place :smile:

I think if you've signed up they should send you details closer to the date - that's what the e-mail I got said.

have fun anyway!
Reply 184
Yes, our library is amazing. It has the most beautiful design inside, a large first edition collection and loads of subject-relevant books. It's really lovely :smile: People come to our library from other colleges because we have the widest selection of subject books.

http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/img/big/admissions-facilities-workinglibrary.jpg
helenkr
Yes, our library is amazing. It has the most beautiful design inside, a large first edition collection and loads of subject-relevant books. It's really lovely :smile: People come to our library from other colleges because we have the widest selection of subject books.

Thanks, and that is an incredible library! It must be lovely to work in there. So, are you generally allowed to go into other college libraries for subject-relevant research?
Reply 186
not generally no. The doors are activated by swipe cards, so only the ones from your college open them. However, you are likely to have a supervisor from another college that would let you into their library, or if you are nice to the porters they may let you in. Most people get into ours by befriending people from Caius :smile:
Reply 187
Neutral_Tones
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else on TSR has booked a place for the Caius Open Day on July 5th?

I will be attending the Open Day either on the 5th or the 6th, or on both (I've booked a room for two nights anyway since I'm coming all way from Finland). I've applied already though, but I want to have a look at the college since I was pooled and never got a chance to see it.

Perhaps I'll see you there Neutral_Tones and shootbangfire!
Hey there! :biggrin: Which subject are you applying for?
Reply 189
why don't you new Caius people post photos so we can spot you on open days/ freshers week :biggrin:
Reply 190
I shouldn't speak out against other colleges, but nevermind! I wouldn't apply to kings if I were you- it is pretty and everything, but all their money goes into the chapel so there isn't so much available to the students. Other colleges have good travel grants, and money given to the student union to run the bar, bops and so forth, but Kings doesn't as it is very poor :smile: The other colleges you mentioned are lovely. For me it was between Caius and trinity hall, and in the end I just liked Caius better, and I didn't like trinity hall being tit hall! :biggrin:

The being from the same school shouldn't be a problem. On my corridor there are 3 people - 2 engineers and a compsci - who all went to the same school. :smile:
Reply 191
It's only a 5-7 minute walk- it's not far at all. And it's a nice little walk in the evenings :biggrin: So I'd say minimally irritating :biggrin:
Reply 192
Neutral_Tones
Hey there! :biggrin: Which subject are you applying for?

I applied for CompSci so that's what I'll at least start with. :smile: We new CompScis are in secret planning to break the stereotype of being the most boring and the least social group of people at the uni so watch out!

helenkr
why don't you new Caius people post photos so we can spot you on open days/ freshers week :biggrin:

Great idea, seeya in July then! http://www.facebook.com/p/Tomas_Pfister/598960054

Oh yeah and you other new Caius people 2007, don't under any circumstances forget to join us others at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2231832160!
Reply 193
This is my facebook. Anyone, feel free to add me and contact me with any queries etc. http://cambridge.facebook.com/profile.php?id=36919238
Reply 194
OP chewwy/choochie, are you male or female? You keep changing sex...
If you click on my profile and see the photo on the right I'm the chap with his back turned to the camera placing his pacing stick on the ground.

This was filmed for a Documentary (Titled: 'Real Ultimate Power') which we filmed last year I believe. I'll look for a better photo if I can find one...
Reply 196
Tomas
We new CompScis are in secret planning to break the stereotype of being the most boring and the least social group of people at the uni so watch out!

Well wow, why didn't any of the rest of us think of that!

*current Caius compsci*
Reply 197
DrCube
Well wow, why didn't any of the rest of us think of that!

*current Caius compsci*

:smile: Proven to be hard to accomplish, or are you saying that that stereotype isn't alive and jolly at Caius like at most other colleges/unis (well, at least the Finnish ones I have experience of)? It's odd how people imagine that because you enjoy compsci you couldn't be social as well! Especially when compsci isn't anything near computing. It's not much (if at all) 'nerdier' (if one is to use that adjective) than physics or maths...

(No offence was meant with what I said, so your rather sarcastic tone surprised me.)
Reply 198
We new CompScis are in secret planning to break the stereotype of being the most boring and the least social group of people at the uni so watch out!

haha too right!
Dee xxx
Reply 199
helenkr
OP chewwy/choochie, are you male or female? You keep changing sex...

i'm male. let me find a pic. ah, this is a nice one - http://photos-488.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v73/226/26/500203488/n500203488_40359_2057.jpg

and woo, tomas pfisters!! facebook people!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending