Edexcel M4 Exam Discussion Thread [June 5th] Watch

cudders96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the second order DE in number 5, when we had to find C and D etc. Finding C was trivial (t=0, x=0), but when you differentiate to find D, when t=0 does dx/dt=0? I had that originally, but if B is moving at 1/4sin2t, isn't dx/dt 1/2cos2t, ie 1/2? 0 or 1/2?
Gome44
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NathanSE)
crap I found when x is 0 : P, do you know how mnay marks that part was?
5 I think
c3l6founder
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
crap I found when x is 0 : P, do you know how mnay marks that part was?
you have just boosted gome's ums well done. he is probably laughing at you thinking how dumb you are... those were 'gift marks' mate.
User1206819
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gome44)
70 for an A* maybe. The only tricky part was the stability question, but there was a similar one in the review exercise I think
Mate the stability question was the easiest thing I have ever seen. bad luck.... you may get an a1 ft. and scrape the A* congrats!
Gallax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Jabber jabber. Put the kettle on, make some tea, grab some pen and paper and listen in. cos4t=cos2t simplifies to (4cos^2(t)+1)(cos^2(t)-1)=0 ......now take a sip of your tea, taste that? That's the taste of failure.

(Original post by shan2097)
yes it was pi/3. x in terms of t should have been 1/6 sin 2t - 1/12 sin 4t, therefore dx/dt = 1/3 cos 2t - 1/3 cos 4t. dx/dt = 0 at instantenous rest therefore cos 2t = cos 4t. 2t = 2kπ +- 4t. at first instantaneous rest k = 1 therefore t = π - 2t 3t = π t = π/3
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by User1206819)
Mate the stability question was the easiest thing I have ever seen. bad luck.... you may get an a1 ft. and scrape the A* congrats!
Someone's mad...
c3l6founder
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gome44)
:yy:
wow is this all you have got? have you told your mom how well you did in m4 yet???
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gallax)
Jabber jabber. Put the kettle on, make some tea, grab some pen and paper and listen in. cos4t=cos2t simplifies to (4cos^2(t)+1)(cos^2(t)-1)=0 ......now take a sip of your tea, taste that? That's the taste of failure.
Sub in x=2 radians and you'll see that isn't the case...
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by c3l6founder)
wow is this all you have got? have you told your mom how well you did in m4 yet???
I have actually
bigblackterence
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What did the rest of you guys get for questions 3 and 4? I seem to have got different answers than the ones posted earlier
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bigblackterence)
What did the rest of you guys get for questions 3 and 4? I seem to have got different answers than the ones posted earlier
Tel

Posted from TSR Mobile
shan2097
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
my answers were

Spoiler:
Show
  1. t = 37/2 (I forgot to do the distance, but from memory, qRp = sqrt[(21-t)2 - (t-16)2] therefore minimum distance would be sqrt[8.5] = 2.91
  2. Vw = 4sqrt(17) on a bearing of 284
  3. was this the balls one? tan theta = 1/sqrt 5 I think, theta = 24.1 degrees
  4. I think this was the integration one. x = 135m , can't remember the exact answer but it was 540 ln (something) + something else i think (sorry)
  5. t for instantaneous rest was pi/3
  6. equilibrium at +/- pi/6 and 0, pi/6 was unstable
  7. w = u*sqrt(103)/16
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol why is everyone being dicks to each other. Everyone here is pretty smart, if you got something wrong chill it's Ayg

Posted from TSR Mobile
bigblackterence
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
Tel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gurbs
NathanSE
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you have just boosted gome's ums well done. he is probably laughing at you thinking how dumb you are... those were 'gift marks' mate.
Even if he were I dont care if Gome or anyone else laughs at me because im not a self conscious wreck that cant handle othere people being better at m4 than me.
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Never said they were gift marks. Question 1 was (pretty much identical to last years question one), and question 2 was one of the easiest RM question they could have asked...
shan2097
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gallax)
bugger it, missed 1/sqrt(2) didn't I. Should've expanded and checked. oh well. Only a coupla marks.

edit: no hang on. pi/4 doesn't work because cos pi = -1 and cos pi/2 = 0
c3l6founder
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even if he were I dont care if Gome or anyone else laughs at me because im not a self conscious wreck that cant handle othere people being better at m4 than me.
then what are you doing on student room? you clearly care so much abt what you got in m4 that u came here straight after the exam.
NathanSE
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
then what are you doing on student room? you clearly care so much abt what you got in m4 that u came here straight after the exam.
because I want to know what grade I got. I care about doing well in m4 but i dont care that other people do better than me.
HashiramaSenju
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So can i Assume that 68/75 will be an 90UMS ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise