David Cameron and Ed Miliband Live Q&A Watch

barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought that they were about equal in the Q+A, and David Cameron did better in the Paxman interview. Surprisingly little about education other than student tuition fees I thought.
Tamora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Actually from reading EU laws reacently I belive he's allowed to do that
[/LIST]
http://europa.eu/legislation_summari.../l33152_en.htm
so that's not an issue.
They just sell the Big Issue. This counts as economic activity, seriously. The bar to what counts as economic activity is set ridiculously low.
TheHistoryStudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
While I thought Ed wasn't as polished as Cameron (he looked a bit more awkward in his audience questioning) I think overall I was pleasantly surprised by him. He came across as having some real passion (and to my mind, integrity), even despite it being clear the audience and interviewers didn't think much of him (the aww from the audience, Paxman asking him if he was ok, more hostile questions, more questioning of his answers and so forth).

I dont believe everything he says (particularly on the issue of the SNP), and let's be honest he still strikes a pretty weak figure thanks in large part to the press, but I think that if we listen to what he says rather than what is said about him, he comes off as the better candidate, in my personal opinion.
young_guns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
While I thought Ed wasn't as polished as Cameron (he looked a bit more awkward in his audience questioning) I think overall I was pleasantly surprised by him. He came across as having some real passion (and to my mind, integrity), even despite it being clear the audience and interviewers didn't think much of him (the aww from the audience, Paxman asking him if he was ok, more hostile questions, more questioning of his answers and so forth).

I dont believe everything he says (particularly on the issue of the SNP), and let's be honest he still strikes a pretty weak figure thanks in large part to the press, but I think that if we listen to what he says rather than what is said about him, he comes off as the better candidate, in my personal opinion.
This is what I have been saying for months. I wasn't surprised by his performance because I've seen him before in person and it's simply completely different to what you see portrayed in the newspapers.

As a Labour supporter, I'm thrilled that other people are seeing in Ed what I saw in him; is a super-polished PR master? No, but he is deeply passionate about ideas, about the material conditions of ordinary British people, and he does come across well in person and in certain formats on television.

I really hope this television event will have been the moment where the campaign swings into a genuine debate about policies, rather than "Nah nah nah nah nah, he's weird and he can't eat a bacon sandwich". That's the politics of the schoolyard, of democracies less mature than ours. I'm really hopeful this will be a turning point if not in Labour's fortunes then at least in the tone of the campaign
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Well done Ed.

Nothing substantial enough to affect my vote but he did well. It will be interesting to see any polling effects.
No wonder Cameron didn't want to debate him.
He's a lot better than the right wing media give him credit for.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
No wonder Cameron didn't want to debate him.
He's a lot better than the right wing media give him credit for.
Be interesting to see how they handle the other formats.. Round 1 to Ed but another two to go. The spoiler for them is the opposition debate, Miliband can gain or struggle surrounded by the left, Farage can either look like a minor politician or take from the Tories.
Cerdic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
That is because he usually gets asked cosy patsy questions. It's clear that Paxman's "no messing" opener about food banks knocked him for six: he was expecting as sycophantic a ride from the self-professed Tory Paxman as he got from Murdoch stooge Kay Burley.

I really haven't seen Cameron asked a single difficult question by the media in his five years in power. It's a sad indictment of the media bias we have that this should be so unusual.

As for supposedly being a strong leader, there have been next to no reports about the Iraq-level rebellions on non-issues Cameron has faced from the Eurosceptics in his party and the unprecedented contempt he is apparently held in by most other world leaders.
Paxman hammers everyone, it looked like he almost made both of them cry. Cameron has on occasion been asked hard questions by the media, but of course he decides when he takes an interview, who with, and to an extent what they can ask, so it's hardly surprising. I meant more when Cameron clashes with Miliband as he does at least once a week, and rarely does he seem to come out on the bottom.

Yes there are old divisions within the Tory party, but recently Cameron has quelled them with a promise of a referendum. Or at least quietened them... Every time a European leader expresses a dislike for the PM, every eurosceptic rejoices that he's standing up to them, so that's hardly an example of him being a weak leader.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Be interesting to see how they handle the other formats.. Round 1 to Ed but another two to go. The spoiler for them is the opposition debate, Miliband can gain or struggle surrounded by the left, Farage can either look like a minor politician or take from the Tories.
I like several others was not surprised by his performance.
I've met him and been to hear him speak and he always comes across charismatic, confident and actually cares about what you say. He's also quite funny.

I thought the whole team was biased against him. Quite why Paxman was bringing up questions about his brother is perplexing, it's about policies. and Kay Burley frequently interrupted Ed and challenged him, which she didn't do with Cameron

He handled it very well and you could see his passion come through. He's had so much thrown at him in the last five years. Every step of the way he's had everyone against him, from the Blairites in his own party to the right-wing media personal, repeated digs about his brother,and a huge agenda against him.

But he's come through everything and kept his party together. If that's not a strong leader than I don't know what is..
lavender_rose
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8iS8xQRpZo I think this is quite an accurate representation of David Cameron
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Paxman didn't ask a single question about the NHS to Cameron and rather than asking Ed questions of substance he kept referring to his brother, or 'some guy on the tube didn't like you.' Then the patronizing 'are you okay' at the end. Then Kay Burley barely said anything to Cameron but regularly stuck the knife into Milliband.
Disgraceful bias.
Still Milliband came out on top, he's a fighter.
JuliusDS92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dr Pesto)
His brother is David Miliband, not Jesus Christ.
Ran out of reps for today
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joey11223)
Lab to win more seats then Con is what I have a bit on, SNP will make Lab suffer in Scotland but I think UKIP could have an even bigger impact than some think for the Tories, I remember last year when odds for UKIP getting 5+ seats was really good, now it's odds on. That said though the odds for Lab to win more seats has lengthened a little so bookies don't agree with me lol.
With the polls being neck and neck it is just so difficult to work it out. Put a bet on for Labour to win the most seats last year, but the odds weren't that great. The bookies have better odds for a Tory majority, which I really don't see happening but maybe they know I don't :lol:
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jenkinsear)
The papers may well have some game changing dirt on one of the parties that they are keeping quiet. Lord knows they'll be looking for it.
To be fair all parties have had some dirt on them in recent weeks, but damage control has been relatively good.

Personally I'm waiting for the Guardian or Independent to rip into the Greens and tear them apart, but I won't hold my breath on it.
leinad2012
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I quite enjoyed the debate, thought it was pretty even tbh.

Was pretty good from a neutrals perspective.
But omfg how bias were Paxmen and his side chick?! I have to say i felt a bit bad for Ed the way the ***** kept interrupting him during the audience bit when she didn't to Cameron. And bringing up his brother and mother (the vote to become Labour leader happened like 3 years ago she needs to get the **** over it and not bring it up in an election debate where its completely irrelevant).

Paxman calling him a "London geek", how pathetic, I really dislike him the arrogant prick. Not surprised there's been loads of complaints over it
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As always, one poll in itself does not show anything substantial but the first yougov poll since the debate, Labour take a 4 point lead. 49% of those polled said Milliband won on Wednesday compared with 34% who thought Cameron did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.33%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
22.22%
Yes but I might change my mind (37)
16.44%

Watched Threads