Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeggo)
    The question said that sales figure rose by 21%, meaning that more people are buying the products. If there was more unemployment, wouldn't it mean that the sales figure in the UK would decrease, not increase?
    Which question are you referring to?

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhhhh wow i lost two marks (((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supreme G)
    Which question are you referring to?
    Question 8, the one about sales increasing by 21% in the UK and 50% internationally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supreme G)
    Yeah that's what I thought because if there's rising unemployment in the UK then the business would've had to rely on sales abroad from where there was less unemployment. Don't know how so many people are saying B when if this was the case the sales percentages would roughly be the same in or outside of the UK.
    Rising unemployment within the UK would lead to decreased sales, but sales within the UK increased by 21% Just because internationally sales rose faster, it doesn't mean that the UK economy was bad. SInce Cath Kidtson in a UK brand, its likely she started sales in the UK and then moved internationally fairly recently and therefore its understandable that sales would be increasing faster where the product is new as theres more potential for market growth.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but there may have been a reduction in prices in the fasion industry as a whole causing an increase in demand everywhere but higher levels of demand where there was less unemployent, in this case interationally. If customer needs were being met then there wouldn't be such a gap in sales in and outside of the UK so there must have been a factor causing this difference.(unemployment)

ReputationRep:
    Just because unemployment within the UK grew, it doesn't mean you can rule out the fact all sales will decline. In fact some items benefit from unemployment. However this is a luxury good which normally would suggest sells would decline, but you cannot rule this out, as the company could of brought out a new range etc.

The other obvious answer it could be is B, consumer wants are met, however, this doesn't justify in any way the difference in growth between the UK and international, and the fact this question had emphasis on the growth difference, the only possible explanation would be unemployment within the UK

Therefore my answer is D. - all in all not a pleasant question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pswan96)
    Wasn't a bad exam, I finished in an hour, the last question was easy for me, mainly because I do Economics aswell
    I do economics as well but what did you write for the last question? I missed it out

ReputationRep:
    Im sure it would have mentioned any reduction in prices had there been any....And thats not true, the sales increases were given in the form of %s of what they were beforehand, since Cath Kitdson is a UK brand, the sales in the Uk are likely to have been greater than elsewhere so they may well have increased by a bigger value in the UK but the percentage by which they have increased will be less. And factors such as saturation and potential growth can be attributed to this high percentage

ReputationRep:
    My two non-price demand factors where interest rate and promotion eg the social media they where using

ReputationRep:
    And in my opinion there was no emphasis on the gap....I think they were more just trying to stress that they both increased. Which as you say in a time of increasing unemployment for a high end brand like Cath Kidtson is unlikely to be the case

ReputationRep:
    I just thought there was a higher growth in sales internationally because there are more potential customers internationally. For example, the UK has a population of 65 million, but you can't compare that to billions of people around the world. Might be a completely stupid way to look at it though.

ReputationRep:
    IF i answered every question i would have got 65+/70 but this **** 1minute a mark thing fked me over aargghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    So what was the answer to the sales figure growth question then??? Unemployment or Customer wants met

ReputationRep:
    Haha thats whats being debated....imo customer wants met, my business teacher agreed when we gave him the scenario afterwards, but hes not the cleverest so

ReputationRep:
    The figures where states as a percentage, therefore the factor of 60 million UK potential customers where as 6 billion world wide is irrelevant, as its talking about percentage growth. Clearly the company is doing well to achieve this growth both internationally and in the UK, and therefore it could survive through unemployment, as the only possibly answer which could give the different of 30% growth is unemployment.

I stand by my answer D, a rise in uk unemployment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieMarsh)
    The figures where states as a percentage, therefore the factor of 60 million UK potential customers where as 6 billion world wide is irrelevant, as its talking about percentage growth. Clearly the company is doing well to achieve this growth both internationally and in the UK, and therefore it could survive through unemployment, as the only possibly answer which could give the different of 30% growth is unemployment.

What question is this you guys are arguing over?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieMarsh)

but i am sure you can understand why many put customer needs were met right?

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why most will say consumers wants met. Especially if they said both UK and international trading increased. but the fact they had such emphasis on the difference between 20% and 51% the only possible answer is a rise in unemployment, its undisputed! you cant dispute that fact. Consumer wants met would not create a difference of growth worldwide and in the UK with the information they gave us, its not possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    What question is this you guys are arguing over?
    8, the one about Cath Kidtson

ReputationRep:
    I suppose neither B or D can be completely ruled out but im just going to hope that it was D. Also, how many marks does everyone think will be needed to achieve an A in this unit? Im hoping for around 50.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.