Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evekay)
    Has anyone got any research evidence that can be used as AO2 on a research methods question? It's all well and good saying what's good and bad about using a questionnaire (for example) but you could lose marks for not backing it up with evidence?
    We havent been told any at our school so dont think its going to affect you too much if no research evidence is used. We never have too at least...

ReputationRep:
    its so freaking stressful😊🔫

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KylieemilyJ)
    We havent been told any at our school so dont think its going to affect you too much if no research evidence is used. We never have too at least...
    The evaluation is by saying why the opposite type if sociologist wouldn't use it.

For example positivists would not use unstructured interviews as they do not produce facts, unstructured interviews produce qualitative data, opinions, and are therefore unscientific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risteard)
    The evaluation is by saying why the opposite type if sociologist wouldn't use it.

For example positivists would not use unstructured interviews as they do not produce facts, unstructured interviews produce qualitative data, opinions, and are therefore unscientific.
    I wouldnt say thats research to back it up tho, we've been taught that.. I would say that research to back it up would be like a sociologist did a questionnaire on this topic and found these results...

ReputationRep:

ohh thank you, this has really helped

I'm studying a levels from home and am essentially self-taught with tutor to give me advice, and they said that I needed to back up those kinds of questions with research evidence... but if just saying that is enough then that's great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say thats research to back it up tho, we've been taught that.. I would say that research to back it up would be like a sociologist did a questionnaire on this topic and found these results...
    this sounds like more what I meant - are there any standard kind of studies that I can remember to refer to in these questions?

ReputationRep:
    this sounds like more what I meant - are there any standard kind of studies that I can remember to refer to in these questions?
    I dont think their is any.. just about to look in my textbook though and check, I dont think their are any that are like case studies about the type of research methods.. I think its mainly Advantages and disadvantages and sociologists that will use it,

ReputationRep:

yes, you need to link a method to where it was used by a researcher and what they tried to find out

ReputationRep:
    The collins Sociology AS textbook is really good for basic outlines for anyone who needs it? probably a PDF file on google? Has all the topics that come up in the exam..

ReputationRep:
    yes, you need to link a method to where it was used by a researcher and what they tried to find out
    but is it specific sociologists using names? Or just functionalists would say this is a good method.., etc

ReputationRep:
    I dont think their is any.. just about to look in my textbook though and check, I dont think their are any that are like case studies about the type of research methods.. I think its mainly Advantages and disadvantages and sociologists that will use it,
    i use these with my students

you may find them useful
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf research methods list of studies livesey.pdf (399.1 KB, 115 views)
  2. Attached Files
  3. File Type: docx question 9 plan.docx (23.6 KB, 92 views)
  4. File Type: docx methods in context essay plan.docx (14.5 KB, 106 views)
  5. File Type: docx methods in context pervert.docx (13.8 KB, 101 views)

ReputationRep:
    but is it specific sociologists using names? Or just functionalists would say this is a good method.., etc
    both, really.

see my resources

ReputationRep:
    The collins Sociology AS textbook is really good for basic outlines for anyone who needs it? probably a PDF file on google? Has all the topics that come up in the exam..

written by my former A level tutor...he was a bit crap. lol

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any research evidence that can be used as AO2 on a research methods question? It's all well and good saying what's good and bad about using a questionnaire (for example) but you could lose marks for not backing it up with evidence?
    when Willima Labov used unstructured interviews when studying the language of black American children, he found that the children began to open up and they spoke more freely showing that they were competant speakers.

is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

ReputationRep:
    can SOMEONE pleease tell me what to learn about the perpectives
    new right
    marxist
    and functionalisT
    i dnt knw what to write i mean is new right just about.the education reform act?

ReputationRep:
    What ao2 is needed in the mic question and rm methods eg how would you evaulate them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whothefu_isalice)
    when Willima Labov used unstructured interviews when studying the language of black American children, he found that the children began to open up and they spoke more freely showing that they were competant speakers.

is that the kind of thing you're looking for?
    Yes that's perfect! Could be used as backing up an advantage of unstructured interviews and interpretevist approaches?

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's perfect! Could be used as backing up an advantage of unstructured interviews and interpretevist approaches?
    yeah totally, you got it!

ReputationRep:
    whats the difference between overt and covert participant observation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whothefu_isalice)
    whats the difference between overt and covert participant observation?
    Overt is when the observer/researcher is open about their role as researcher/observer - can cause demand characteristics

Covert is when they don't let the group know they're being studied - carries a lot of ethical issues

If I'm wrong someone please correct me:d

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.