The Student Room Group

OCR MEI - FP1 - 14th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joe12345marc
However, all mistakes that shouldn't lose you many marks. Thing is, I did the M2 paper yesterday (yeah I don't know why my school make us do M2 in Year 12 but can't do anything about it) and I got about 6 questions wrong. Yet I may only lose 6 marks, because they are mainly testing you on your understanding, so you'll hardly ever lose lots of marks for a little mistake because although you should lose some marks, they're not testing you on your ability to read from a graph. That was what GCSE's were for :P

Count yourself lucky, my school makes us do D1 and D2 in AS
Original post by henrygriff28

Peak as a ****ing branch

Posted from TSR Mobile
If in the second part of Question 8 I just wrote down my answer as the same roots as the previous question (5+4i, 5-4i and -3) and misses out the 1 how many marks do you think I will lose?
I'm cross linking my attempts at solutions from another thread; I didn't realise that two threads about the exam were active at the same time.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3147121&p=55794997#post55794997
Original post by Connorbwfc
If in the second part of Question 8 I just wrote down my answer as the same roots as the previous question (5+4i, 5-4i and -3) and misses out the 1 how many marks do you think I will lose?

I'd imagine you'd just lose one or two marks.

As far as I can recall, question eight part four was about three marks, which were presumably for something along the lines of:

1) Showing that LHS=z(f(z)) \text{LHS} = z\left(f(z)\right) and RHS=f(z) \text{RHS} = f(z) .
Maybe also showing that (z1)f(z)=0 (z-1)f(z)=0 .

2) Giving the three roots of f(z) f(z) from part three as solutions.

3) Giving z=1 z=1 as the fourth solution.

Does anyone think that not simplifying the fractions of xx and yy in question one (i.e. leaving them over 108108 ) will lose me a mark?
I'm obsessing over lost marks a bit but I'd imagine I only lost 3 or 4. I hope anyway.
Original post by Craig3210
Doesn't sound too bad then, hopefully I'll get the grades this year to help it make it easier for next year! What's S2 like then?

If S1 is basic the basics of stats, the Binomial distribution and one kind of hypothesis test, S2 is a few more distributions, how they can approximate one another, a bunch of different types of hypothesis tests, and the measuring of strengths of correlations, as in from -1 to 0 to 1.

As far as distributions go for S2;
Binomial (1)
Poisson (2)
Normal (3)

(3) can approximate (2) and (1)
(2) can approximate (1)

A considerable part of it is memorising the different kinds of hypothesis tests and when each distribution is appropriate etc. I quite like stats in general, but there are quite a few people in my class who aren't such fans of it.
Original post by Jam Goodman
I'd imagine you'd just lose one or two marks.

As far as I can recall, question eight part four was about three marks, which were presumably for something along the lines of:

1) Showing that LHS=z(f(z)) \text{LHS} = z\left(f(z)\right) and RHS=f(z) \text{RHS} = f(z) .
Maybe also showing that (z1)f(z)=0 (z-1)f(z)=0 .

2) Giving the three roots of f(z) f(z) from part three as solutions.

3) Giving z=1 z=1 as the fourth solution.

Does anyone think that not simplifying the fractions of xx and yy in question one (i.e. leaving them over 108108 ) will lose me a mark?
I'm obsessing over lost marks a bit but I'd imagine I only lost 3 or 4. I hope anyway.

I think it was just two marks? I doubt you'd get any marks for just writing the other 3 roots as they were the solution to the last question.

You won't lose any marks for not simplifying those fractions, the mark schemes allow 'equivalents'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jpetersgill
I think it was just two marks? I doubt you'd get any marks for just writing the other 3 roots as they were the solution to the last question.

You won't lose any marks for not simplifying those fractions, the mark schemes allow 'equivalents'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers for responding.

I wasn't sure how many marks the question was but at any rate, he's only lost one or two.

And thank God for that; if I'd lost a mark for not simplifying a fraction, I'd probably weep. I already know I've lost a mark for thinking (0,2)(0,2) was (2,0)(2,0). If only I knew how to read questions properly.
Reply 188
anyone got whole questions of paper?
and answers
(edited 8 years ago)

D2 is easier than M2, D1 is possibly the easiest ever module for me at least. I've never had a D1 lesson, but my friend (resitting year from different school) did last year and he explained the whole course in about 30 mins. D2 is a bit harder yes it's not easy, but defo easier for me than M2. However, I've always struggled with applied and found any sort of logic/ pure maths/ problem solving stuff easier tbh.
D2 is easier than M2, D1 is possibly the easiest ever module for me at least. I've never had a D1 lesson, but my friend (resitting year from different school) did last year and he explained the whole course in about 30 mins. D2 is a bit harder yes it's not easy, but defo easier for me than M2. However, I've always struggled with applied and found any sort of logic/ pure maths/ problem solving stuff easier tbh.

I suppose it just depends on how your mind works. I'm more into theoretical physics than computer science so mechanics is a lot easier for me than decision.
I suppose it just depends on how your mind works. I'm more into theoretical physics than computer science so mechanics is a lot easier for me than decision.

Fair play, funny you say that I'll be applying for Computer Science! xD I just feel like decision doesn't require any understanding, it's just vague trick questions with length of exam problems (I think for some reason decision maths questions take a little longer than most other ones).
Any unoffical marks schemes out yet?
Original post by Darcy1
Any unoffical marks schemes out yet?

Not yet, as I've said before - if anyone has the paper then I'll get set on making a mark scheme. No sign of the paper yet though
Original post by Connorbwfc

Haha it was a two mark question and I'd personally think you should lose 2 of them, but that's just me! You'll probs be lucky and just lose 1. I did the opposite! I worked out z=1 and left that as my answer, never crossed my mind to restate the same roots we literally stated 5 cm above tbh, badly worded question IMO. You'll most likely get 1/2 but I don't think people should get a mark for stating what they got marks for earlier!
Haha it was a two mark question and I'd personally think you should lose 2 of them, but that's just me! You'll probs be lucky and just lose 1. I did the opposite! I worked out z=1 and left that as my answer, never crossed my mind to restate the same roots we literally stated 5 cm above tbh, badly worded question IMO. You'll most likely get 1/2 but I don't think people should get a mark for stating what they got marks for earlier!

I did the exact same as you, do you think we'll still get the one mark? I think that would be all I dropped and I was hoping for 100 UMS so will be close.
Original post by MintyMilk
From what I hear it's like M1 but with the inclusion of parameters you would otherwise discard, i.e. air resistance and friction while also having more difficult concepts to understand overall, as in what's happening physically may be harder to grasp the concept of.

Currently doing FP1, M1 and S2. Doing FP2, M2 and NM or D1 next year.

NM is the horrible it is so boring and repetitive and covers such a broad range of methods that you have to completely memorise so many different things and practically anything can come up so good luck! I have to do FP1, D1 and NM this year and then FP2, M2 and M3 next year :smile:
Unofficial Markscheme

1. x=518,y=127x = \dfrac{5}{18}, y = \dfrac{1}{27}

2. z1=2+3j,z2=23jz_1 = 2 + 3j, z_2 = 2 - 3j

z1=z2=13|z_1| = |z_2| = \sqrt{13}

arg(z1)=0.983,arg(z2)=0.983arg(z_1) = 0.983, arg(z_2) = -0.983

3. p=12,q=11,r=20p = -12, q = 11, r = 20

5i. Use standard summations.

ii. k=13k = \dfrac{1}{3}

6. Run-of-the-mill proof by induction.

7i. Sketch:

ii. Values of x for which y3y \geq 3 are:

x<1,0x<2x < -1, 0 \leq x < 2

8i. α2=9+40j,α3=115+236j\alpha^2 = 9 + 40j, \alpha^3 = -115 + 236j

ii. q=7,r=123q = -7, r = 123

iii. z=5+4j,54jz = 5 + 4j, 5 - 4j, or 3-3

iv. z=5+4j,54j,3z = 5 + 4j, 5 - 4j, -3 or 11

9i. A'(0, 0), B'(-4, 0), C'(2, 12)

ii. Horizontal enlargement with s.f. 4, vertical enlargement with s.f. 2

iii. The matrix required was:
Unparseable latex formula:

\dfrac{1}{48}\begin{pmatrix}[br]0 & 8 \\[br]-6 & 12[br]\end{pmatrix}

iv. 192 sq. units
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
Unofficial Markscheme

1. x=518,y=127x = \dfrac{5}{18}, y = \dfrac{1}{27}

2. z1=2+3j,z2=23j[br][br]z1=z2=13[br][br]arg(z1)=0.983,arg(z2)=0.983z_1 = 2 + 3j, z_2 = 2 - 3j[br][br]|z_1| = |z_2| = \sqrt{13}[br][br]arg(z_1) = 0.983, arg(z_2) = -0.983

3. p = -12, q = 11, r = 20

5i. Use standard summations.

ii. k=13k = \dfrac{1}{3}

6. Run-of-the-mill proof by induction.

7i. Sketch:

ii. Values of x for which y3y \geq 3 are:
x<1,3x<2x < 1, 3 \leq x < 2

8i. α2=9+40j,α3=115+236j\alpha^2 = 9 + 40j, \alpha^3 = -115 + 236j

ii. q=7,r=123q = -7, r = 123

iii. z=5+4j,54jz = 5 + 4j, 5 - 4j, or 3-3

iv. z=5+4j,54j3z = 5 + 4j, 5 - 4j -3 or 11

9i. A'(0, 0), B'(-4, 0), C'(2, 12)

ii. Horizontal enlargement with s.f. 4, vertical enlargement with s.f.

iii. Area is 192 sq. units

That's all correct apart from 7ii, what was question 3 again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jpetersgill
That's all correct apart from 7ii, what was question 3 again?

That 1 should be negative. :oops: Fixed it now.

You were given the polynomial
2x3+px2+qx+r2x^3 + px^2 + qx + r

And some information: the sum of the roots is 6, the product of the roots is -10, and one of the roots is 4. You had to find p, q and r.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending