Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holprice)
    context for item B sounds really good! im so worried about my response to question 2. this is how i did it:
    intro with explanation and what wider reading i'll use with reasons
    first para on the given extracts
    second on item C and wider reading
    third on item D and wider reading

That is all is not my usual structure and no conclusion!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    No that sounds like a clear structure that would help you to address all the AOs

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, I'm not the only one who found that exam really difficult? I really did not like Item D! I'm really stressed and worried about it.. Although, I did do well on my coursework which gives me more hope? How did everyone else do on the coursework and how did you guys feel about the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zully)
    Oh my, I'm not the only one who found that exam really difficult? I really did not like Item D! I'm really stressed and worried about it.. Although, I did do well on my coursework which gives me more hope? How did everyone else do on the coursework and how did you guys feel about the exam?
    I got 68 on the coursework, but stressing out because last year I got an A in the coursework and still got a D in the exam. I liked the exam, but the people saying it was difficult when I got out made me think I interpreted it wrong or something. Plus I can never tell how well I've done in english, didn't think I would get a D last year so no idea what I'm gonna get this year haha.
    How many pages did you write? People asked for another booklet and I was nowhere near finished the one we were given

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zully)
    I got 68/70 in my coursework and 177/200 last year. Definitely not confident about this exam though /:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got 193/200 last year, so I'm really hoping that will help my grade this year. I thought the exam was okay, but know I didn't include enough on time of composition. I also had a bit longer on Q1 cos I didn't need much planning time, but that meant I included like 5 links instead of just 2 cos I panicked haha. I could only remember 1 for each genre for Q2 though, and my structure was horrible for Q2 just because I didn't really know where my points were leading, I just wanted to get them all down. I hope I managed an A, I feel like I have the potential to even get an A* if my coursework was good, but I don't know after that exam. It didn't go badly, but it didn't go amazingly. I'm just glad I finished, lots of people struggled with the final question so hopefully the boundaries are low? :/

ReputationRep:
    Ah! I don't know how to use this app, trying to tag some people in but I have no idea how? But I certainly didn't finish the booklet, i think i writ around 18 pages? And thats what happened to me! I came out thinking it was difficult but sort of bearable but when my classmates came out saying it was awful it made me feel worse about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zully)
    Ah! I don't know how to use this app, trying to tag some people in but I have no idea how? But I certainly didn't finish the booklet, i think i writ around 18 pages? And thats what happened to me! I came out thinking it was difficult but sort of bearable but when my classmates came out saying it was awful it made me feel worse about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't need to fill the whole booklet- it's better if you're more concise and write less (3-4 pages max)

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I really screwed that exam up. I HATED the second question and wasn't too big on the first (though I think I made some decent points on the first). Ended up spending too long on the first question, used up 20 mins of my planning time for the second so my answer was pretty bad. I talked about how Clarissa and Sally's relationship was forbidden but I think I might have been too forceful with that interpretation- did anyone else say anything different i.e. about the purity etc. as opposed to sexuality? I'm really worried because I was aiming for an A*- got full marks on the coursework but my D in the exam last year pulled my AS down to a C. Hoping for low grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saimahkhan)
    Pretty sure I really screwed that exam up. I HATED the second question and wasn't too big on the first (though I think I made some decent points on the first). Ended up spending too long on the first question, used up 20 mins of my planning time for the second so my answer was pretty bad. I talked about how Clarissa and Sally's relationship was forbidden but I think I might have been too forceful with that interpretation- did anyone else say anything different i.e. about the purity etc. as opposed to sexuality? I'm really worried because I was aiming for an A*- got full marks on the coursework but my D in the exam last year pulled my AS down to a C. Hoping for low grade boundaries
    When I wrote about Sally and Clarissa, I compared it to the relationship between Clarissa and her husband (based on the first line, which was something like how her love for Sally was strange because of it's purity and integrity, so that implies her relationship with her husband is/was the total opposite), and made a contextual point about the constraints on Sally and Clarissa's relationship because of the time period, and talked about the imagery of the flowers in the stone urn (something alive contained within an object that is now usually linked to death and cremation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zully)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    18 pages??? i wrote 10 lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    Just to clarify, the mark scheme only specifies that reference must be made to all genres by the end of the paper. This means a minimum of 1 reference (no quotes have to be used provided the reference is relevant) must be made to Poetry, Prose and Drama. You will not be penalised for not using quotes, some of the full mark examples I have seen don't quote wider reading! The bulk of the marks are given for analysing the extracts, so make that your priority.

On a separate note, a friend of mine did this exam last year and completely forgot about wider reading (I have no idea how) and still managed a mid/high A.
    This gives me hope.

Then again, I wonder if your friend did well because of really detailed extract analysis - when you have to analyse and compare to wider reading sometimes the WR distracts you from the actual comparison.

Now I'm wondering whether I used WR too much. Someone told me 70% extract and 30% wider reading, but I feel that I was closer to 60/40 because I used quotes and explained WR in depth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lg01)
    18 pages??? i wrote 10 lmao
    8.5 (although I have small handwriting and explained things in depth).

Last year I wrote barely anything and got an A in the exam so quality >> quantity (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comeback)
    This gives me hope.

Then again, I wonder if your friend did well because of really detailed extract analysis - when you have to analyse and compare to wider reading sometimes the WR distracts you from the actual comparison.

Now I'm wondering whether I used WR too much. Someone told me 70% extract and 30% wider reading, but I feel that I was closer to 60/40 because I used quotes and explained WR in depth.
    I really wouldnt worry, I kept getting conflicting figures from everyone, one of my teachers said 70-30 another said anywhere from 60-80 is fine. The emphasis is on good analysis, if you think about it, when you make a wider reading reference, you are analysing one of the Items because you are analysing a common theme etc through another piece of literature. The thing about english is that a good essay is worth good marks, there is no set formula, good writing is rewarded. Im sure you've done really well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    I really wouldnt worry, I kept getting conflicting figures from everyone, one of my teachers said 70-30 another said anywhere from 60-80 is fine. The emphasis is on good analysis, if you think about it, when you make a wider reading reference, you are analysing one of the Items because you are analysing a common theme etc through another piece of literature. The thing about english is that a good essay is worth good marks, there is no set formula, good writing is rewarded. Im sure you've done really well
    Thanks so much, I'm sure you did great too!

ReputationRep:
    I have massive handwriting which was probably why I writ 18 but I cant even remember what I did in the exam.. But I did do something on forbidden love for question 2 and something about reader response to the texts.. I can hardly remember but it probably wasnt too great at all.. Also btw, my teacher said she overheard the guy saying that 64 is an A* on the coursework, just thought i'd share that with everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I definitely panicked and did too much wider-reading for Q1, just so my hand was writing something so I didn't stop and have to think/waste time/worry. I know more would be better than less, and I did have 15 minutes extra time for Q1, but I'm just hoping my links were good enough comparison points so they will be rewarded :/

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone do with results?

I was accepted to my firm, but still no idea as to what I actually got.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    117/120

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    92 ums B

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    120! Don't ask

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.