Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalayHKG)
    I've met one past student who now studies at King's and he joined Ashbourne in Year 13 with 4 C grades which he got at a previous sixth form. He left with 3 A grades i believe and so i think thats a testament to both him and the colleges success. He seemed very happy about Ashbourne and the fact that he volunteered to come back to Ashbourne to help with the open evening left me with the impression that the college is something which he values very much.

I am unwilling to answer your question on the fees as they have strict terms you have to sign and abide by and i don't want to jeopodise my offer so i apologise for that, but i will note that you shouldn't expect to get a massive reduction as after all they are an independent school and so the fees students pay are their main source of income.

For more information about leavers destinations and things like that i think you should visit the website as I am not sure about where their students went except that 1/2 students went to Cambridge to study Maths but don't quote me on that.

In Regards to if they spoon feed you, I have yet to start my studies there so i cannot answer whether or not the students are spoon fed however, the class sizes are normally between 6 to 10 and so I think that students get considerably more attention than perhaps at state schools like the one i currently study at where i am in lessons with around 15 to 20 people.

The college is located near Kensington High Street and they have two buildings almost a minute from each other and i have to say that the classrooms are tidy and the buildings are very modern and well maintained. The college being so small means that the college doesn't have things such as a sports hall, but i believe that students go elsewhere for physical education.

I have visited other private schools and i must say that in contrast to some other schools, the teachers at Ashbourne seemed to be more passionate than at the other schools i visited and unlike 1 other school, the teachers aren't snobby.

If you're adamant on studying at Ashbourne and your family are financially stable to pay, then i see no reason not to study there.

I would also suggest that if you're looking to study at a private college, in London then Ashbourne or Brampton College in Hendon would hands down be your best options. I've visited Brampton and Chelsea independent college and i preferred Ashbourne.

I aspire to be an investment banker
    Have you looked at Westminister School it has quite good grades, its private also.The school i go to currently is also a state school and the facilities are really good, I been looking at many sixth forms and its very hard to decide which ones I like. Since I started this forum I have researched many other sixth forms, I also really like Henrietta Barnett and St olaves which would be my ultimate choice and also they're grammar schools so they're free but quite far away and a lot harder to get into. Have you looked at Latymer it seems like a good school but i do not live in the postcode requirement area,which is a shame. What do you think about the other sixth forms in London, have you applied to any other ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathrg26)
    Notting Hill and Ealing High School is pretty good. I was offered a scholarship there, but turned it down. Not a huge amount go to Oxbridge, but then again, year size is v. small so maybe a slightly lower proportion compared to my old sixth form which does quite well.

Most will go to a Russell Group or top 10 uni.
    I hope you don't mind me asking but which sixth form did you go to? And what did you think about it (review)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Have you looked at Westminister School it has quite good grades, its private also.The school i go to currently is also a state school and the facilities are really good, I been looking at many sixth forms and its very hard to decide which ones I like. Since I started this forum I have researched many other sixth forms, I also really like Henrietta Barnett and St olaves which would be my ultimate choice and also they're grammar schools so they're free but quite far away and a lot harder to get into. Have you looked at Latymer it seems like a good school but i do not live in the postcode requirement area,which is a shame. What do you think about the other sixth forms in London, have you applied to any other ones?
    Latymer is too far to travel everyday. I've looked at Westminster but I believe that their sixth form application ended a long time ago so I can't apply now. St Olaves and Henrietta Barnet are both girls only aren't they? If so then I can't apply.

I've applied to Harrow and if I got in I would be over the moon and that would be the place I will study at.

Are you looking to study A-Levels only or are you open to studying courses like the IB?

My school offers the IB but I haven't bought into the whole idea of it so I prefer A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you don't mind me asking but which sixth form did you go to? And what did you think about it (review)?
    St Helens and St Katharine's in Abingdon, Oxfordshire.

A review of my sixth form? Or NH&E?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria1812)
    Hi, so recently I have been looking at different six forms in London and I'm wondering what six forms are good and to which one I should i go to? The A levels I want to do are; physics,maths,biology and chemistry. My dream six form to go to is Ashbourne independent six form college. But it has fees and is really expensive so i cannot go there. So what six forms do you guys recommend in London? I do not mind where in London as I'm willing to even travel more than an hour to get there as long as it is really good. If you are recommending a six form you are going to or went to please tell me what a levels you are doing and what grades you got.
    Are you sure.... ?

ReputationRep:
    Latymer is too far to travel everyday. I've looked at Westminster but I believe that their sixth form application ended a long time ago so I can't apply now. St Olaves and Henrietta Barnet are both girls only aren't they? If so then I can't apply.

I've applied to Harrow and if I got in I would be over the moon and that would be the place I will study at.

Are you looking to study A-Levels only or are you open to studying courses like the IB?

My school offers the IB but I haven't bought into the whole idea of it so I prefer A-Levels.
    St olaves has a mixed sixth form. You applied to Harrow the private school right, is it a boarding school?So you are only applying to Ashbourne and harrow? Whats the difference between A level and IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Are you sure.... ?
    Sixth form

ReputationRep:
    St Helens and St Katharine's in Abingdon, Oxfordshire.

A review of my sixth form? Or NH&E?
    Both would be good.

A lot of the parents are new money
    This thread has sunk to a new low of snobbish discussion. :facepalm:

I didn't intend for it to be snobby - I'm not saying go there because they have money and it's only for the middle class (because I certainly wouldn't fit into the category).
    I know what 'new money' means. It's hardly a term mentioned in polite company. Given that the focus of this thread is, to put it quite conservatively, 'which school can I get into that will give me a leg-up over state school pupils in elite university admissions', I don't think that the use of that term detracted from the already snobby air of this thread, however noble the meaning you were trying to convey.

But whatever. Carry on. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I know what 'new money' means. It's hardly a term mentioned in polite company. Given that the focus of this thread is, to put it quite conservatively, 'which school can I get into that will give me a leg-up over state school pupils in elite university admissions', I don't think that the use of that term detracted from the already snobby air of this thread, however noble the meaning you were trying to convey.

That's a fair comment, I don't usually use the term in general. You're not a fan of private schools I see...

ReputationRep:
    At least log into the right dupe account before replying to comments made to the OP.
    what did you get in your BMAT, just interested. When do you find out what university you got in to?

ReputationRep:
    St olaves has a mixed sixth form. You applied to Harrow the private school right, is it a boarding school?So you are only applying to Ashbourne and harrow? Whats the difference between A level and IB?
    I applied to Ashbourne and Harrow and yes it's the boarding school. I also applied to Highgate but wasn't offered a place and frankly speaking Highgate was a bit too far if i'm being honest.

I'll briefly describe the differences between IB and A-Level

- At IB you study 6 subjects where you take 3 subjects at a Higher Level and 3 at Standard level whereas at A-Level you study 3/4 A-Levels

- IB makes you study Maths, English, Science, Foreign Language and a Humanities subject like History or Geography whereas at A - Levels you're allowed to mix and match to your hearts content.

- A - Levels are generally better if you know what you want to be when you're older whereas the IB is better for people who want to study a broader range of subjects as may not know what they want to be when they're older.

- I believe that Higher level IB subjects go into as much depth as A- Level subjects do but standard level is slightly less but don't quote me on that.

- IB will benefit you greatly if you aspire to study abroad as it's better known worldwide hence the name international Baccalaureate however, A - Levels are relatively unknown overseas and most universities overseas would need a letter from your school telling them what A-Levels are.

- The IB requires all students to write 4000 word essay on a topic of your choice and i think its quite similar to the EPQ

- The IB is generally only offered by Private schools in the UK i believe and there are only a few state schools which offer it including my current school.

- Some argue that IB prepares you better for university than A-Levels but thats disputed.

- At my school IB students tend to get more lessons than A-Level students which can be a positive or a negative depending on your opinion.

- In A- Levels the grading system is similar to the GCSE grading system but IB rates all 6 subjects out of 7. You can also get 3 marks from Spelling and Grammar which means that a total of 45 points is on offer.

- I've been told that achieving 4 A* at A- Level is not as good as achieving 45/45 at IB as only 1/2% of IB students worldwide achieve this.

- Most Oxbridge courses require 3/4 A/A* to get onto any course whereas for the IB you need around 39/42 i believe.

Whilst applying to other schools and learning about my schools IB Sixth Form, I've personally come to a decision that A-Levels are what i want to study after GCSE.

I should note that a large proportion of students at my schools IB Sixth Form are either from overseas or from private schools and the top 2 students from last year came to England when they started the course and now one studies at Oxford and the other has unconditional offers at Imperial and UCL and the last i heard about her she was applying for Cambridge to study medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Christ The King Sixth Form Collage

ReputationRep:

What are your opinions on Private Schools?

What are your opinions on Private Schools?
    I'm opposed to them in principle. You'll need to narrow the question down a bit, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'm opposed to them in principle. You'll need to narrow the question down a bit, I think.
    Why are you opposed to private schools in principle?

I'm a state school student who might be going to a private school next year so i want to find out people's opinions on private education and perhaps learn about the pros and cons.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you opposed to private schools in principle?

I'm a state school student who might be going to a private school next year so i want to find out people's opinions on private education and perhaps learn about the pros and cons.

Well my belief is that education isnt something that should be paid for, so thats why I'm opposed to them, and plus most privae schools shelter you from the reality of the world because their bot representative of modern Britain, due to the fact you have to pay for entrance.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to derail the thread but, briefly: I'm opposed to the commodification of education, especially when it determines the life chances of children. I can understand the thought processes of parents and potential private school pupils like yourself, but I don't think I believe in the doctrine that private schools can be drivers of social mobility, when they constitute a large part of the problem. I also don't think that a few scholarships rectify the ill wrought to social mobility in this country, although they do make good PR ('look at these generous rich people letting one of the plebs go to class with them!' comes to mind).

None of this available to anybody at a state comprehensive -- I don't think a persuasive case can be made that this is helping social mobility more than it's harming it. The level of support provided, particularly with regards to personal statements, is beyond what anybody could consider fair bang for one's buck. That said, I don't think an outright ban of private education would be feasible in practice, hence my opposition to it 'in principle.'

Apologies for the rant, but I think that covers most of it.
    I think that as long as we live in a democratic state, then education will always remain a commodity in which the rich will buy their prosperity by sending their children to places such as Eton and the poor will remain poor unless they find money to over prepare their children to win a bursary or scholarship to an elite private school.

In regards to the Oxbridge Society, I think these type of things only exist in private schools as students at state schools including the high achieving ones distance themselves from these institutions which stereotypically are elitist and only cater for the rich. Moreover, I think these Oxbridge societies exist in private education and will most likely never find its way into state education until state education improves drastically and more students expect more from themselves which is unlikely to happen as the country is run by the elite who studied at places such as Eton and improving the level of education for the working class would only endanger their position in society.

ReputationRep:
    What are not entrance exams for the sciences and maths like at these sixth forms?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.