Turn on thread page Beta

Labour's Exteme Left Shadow Cabinet, no women in top jobs & appoints John McDonnell! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhog)
    There's nothing wrong with George (nee Gideon) Osborne, he is going to succeed Cameron and be PM if Corbyn is still about. He has an edge to him as well, will be an improvement.
    What edge is that? Contempt for public services? Snorting coke on luxury yachts? The Tory party faces a big split on Europe that sank John Major in '97 and it will cause damage this time round. A man who is inflicting such severe cuts to the police that forces are considering writing off certain investigations cannot be a dead cert for 2020.

I expect clown-in-waiting Boris to get the nod because his classroom dunce routine will be more suitable for fooling the public into another 5 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhog)
    He is his own man, considered a 'nutter' even by the Michael Foot camp. Labelled an 'extremist' by Livingstone, a fine emblem for the 'loony left' but I still wished him well because we need politics to liven up. Picture him as PM over here and Trump as president, if that didn't stimulate politics what would?

But he's not going to make it, this stage is too big for him and his acolytes. Happened to Brown and it will happen again.
    the only thing is brown the politician was weak imo...he didnt really have the ability to fight back...he just wasn't a leader

corbyn probably won't get anywhere but he isn't like brown that will drop to the floor and be bullied. thats the only positive he has...

he seems like a nice guy but i dont think his politics will work in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Maybe more qualified candidates refused to join, maybe more qualified candidates are not present in the PLP at present. Scientists are a rarity in politics and as one myself I get your frustration but Corbyn has to work with the hand he's been dealt.

Real champions of equality do not rely on quotas to achieve it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you seen who they are? It is clear those are not the reasons.

No real champions of equality abhor nepotism and believe if a woman is better qualified as a man she should get the job. In this case more qualified women lost out and less qualified women close to Jezza got spots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Well clearly not as you called women *****es, something I'd avoid in future if you don't want to be viewed as sexist.
    I've also called men *******s in the past, does that make me a misandrist. This is exactly why so many people are increasingly dismayed by modern feminism in the UK. Rather than fighting actual battles, your more concerned with dictating to other women what they should say and think as well as demanding quotas be put in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hubbaeaster)
    I've also called men *******s in the past, does that make me a misandrist. This is exactly why so many people are increasingly dismayed by modern feminism in the UK. Rather than fighting actual battles, your more concerned with dictating to other women what they should say and think as well as demanding quotas be put in place.
    All I said was it doesn't come off well and you go off on one about feminism.

Pretty telling...

ReputationRep:
    Fat leftists are the biggest parasites.

ReputationRep:
    All I said was it doesn't come off well and you go off on one about feminism.

Pretty telling...
    I go off on one about mainstream feminism which seems to be about protecting interests of rich middle class women. They don't give a **** about intersectionality or young asian girls in my area being carted off to their home country in south asia to get married at the age of 18. No, instead they care about dictating on words and getting scientists sacked for off the hand comments that were taken out of context and doing so by getting the twitter army out on force.

I'm black and from Brixton. Yes, we should have more woman in top jobs but this should be done by changing the culture rather than enforcing quotas. There isn't enough ethnic minorities at my uni or my workplace, but I don't go insisting that they should hire a certain number of black people and if they're isn't, then the people giving out positions are racist. Corbyn represents something positive for me and people of my background. Actually challenging the blairite spin and hopefully bringing genuine meritocracy to the UK. Instead all I've heard recently is complaints that not enough oxbridge educated middle class career woman have been given top jobs. Never mind the fact that so many people such as Liz Kendall, Yvette Cooper and Rachel Reeves have refused positions in the shadow cabinet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hubbaeaster)
    I go off on one about mainstream feminism which seems to be about protecting interests of rich middle class women. They don't give a **** about intersectionality or young asian girls in my area being carted off to their home country in south asia to get married at the age of 18. No, instead they care about dictating on words and getting scientists sacked for off the hand comments that were taken out of context and doing so by getting the twitter army out on force.

I'm black and from Brixton. Yes, we should have more woman in top jobs but this should be done by changing the culture rather than enforcing quotas. There isn't enough ethnic minorities at my uni or my workplace, but I don't go insisting that they should hire a certain number of black people and if they're isn't, then the people giving out positions are racist. Corbyn represents something positive for me and people of my background. Actually challenging the blairite spin and hopefully bringing genuine meritocracy to the UK. Instead all I've heard recently is complaints that not enough oxbridge educated middle class career woman have been given top jobs. Never mind the fact that so many people such as Liz Kendall, Yvette Cooper and Rachel Reeves have refused positions in the shadow cabinet.
    No agreed, feminists of that kind are absoluteley infuriating. But that doesn't make going around directing the word ***** at women a good thing.

As someone actually studying at UCL I think my university did the right thing. UCL was the first uni to accept women and they have to follow on from that and have a 0 tolerance policy on sexism. It doesn't exactly encourage women into science when top academics say **** like tgat, and its an embarrassment to the uni and their reputation.

Personally I agree with quotas based on race but hey ho. Once ethnic minorities are in dominant positions the culture change happens organically.

And I'm worried you're going to get a very horrible wake-up call very soon when you realise shutting Labour out of power for a generation isn't very positive for people from your background, but I'll leave you to come to your own conclusions on that one over the next few years.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen who they are? It is clear those are not the reasons.

No real champions of equality abhor nepotism and believe if a woman is better qualified as a man she should get the job. In this case more qualified women lost out and less qualified women close to Jezza got spots.
    None of Corbyn's family is in this? Fact is a good number of the PLP have publicly refused to serve in the shadow cabinet and it is likely more have done so in private. At any rate this cabinet is not set in stone and nor is the leader.

Chances are we'll be back to a wet lettuce Blairite by 2020 and can kiss goodbye to the union by 2025.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    None of Corbyn's family is in this? Fact is a good number of the PLP have publicly refused to serve in the shadow cabinet and it is likely more have done so in private. At any rate this cabinet is not set in stone and nor is the leader.

Chances are we'll be back to a wet lettuce Blairite by 2020 and can kiss goodbye to the union by 2025.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh don't be so daft, the point about family is totally irrelevant and you know Nandy was always going to get a spot.

Well have some strong cebtrist candidates for 2020 if Cornyn doesn't get rid of them all - Dan Jarvis, Kier starmer or maybe even Heidi if she does a good job.

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't be so daft, the point about family is totally irrelevant and you know Nandy was always going to get a spot.

Well have some strong cebtrist candidates for 2020 if Cornyn doesn't get rid of them all - Dan Jarvis, Kier starmer or maybe even Heidi if she does a good job.
    Nepotism is for family though right? The centrist, 'I don't stand for anything and am scared to put my neck out' approach is what people are fed up of. The red Tory label will be apt once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nepotism is for family though right? The centrist, 'I don't stand for anything and am scared to put my neck out' approach is what people are fed up of. The red Tory label will be apt once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, nepotism can also refer to giving power/influence to one's friends.

As a side note, I'd just remind everybody that being in a (shifting) centre is not unequivocally positive, and should not be treated as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Fat leftists are the biggest parasites.
    This is unsupportable nonsense.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ERM No?

Yeah because campaigning against the closure of Lewisham Hospital isn't sticking your neck out at all.

Also 'red tory' to describe Koer Starmer - what a joke.

(Or anyone in the party for that matter, why are you Corbyn supporters so dead set on trying to make people leave the party? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Allegro)
    No, nepotism can also refer to giving power/influence to one's friends.

As a side note, I'd just remind everybody that being in a (shifting) centre is not unequivocally positive, and should not be treated as such.
    The centre ground strategy worked so well in Scotland, perhaps RF is hopeful of it losing more heartland seats in England to UKIP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The centre ground strategy worked so well in Scotland, perhaps RF is hopeful of it losing more heartland seats in England to UKIP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The SNP ran on an anti-austerity platform, which is hardly designed to put them in the centre. The current ideological center-ground is fiscal conservatism.

ReputationRep:
    ERM No?

Yeah because campaigning against the closure of Lewisham Hospital isn't sticking your neck out at all.
    Nobody is going to get panned for trying to keep a hospital open. They should be panned for compromising their position on everything to the point nobody can distinguish them from the other major party.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The SNP ran on an anti-austerity platform, which is hardly designed to put them in the centre. The current ideological center-ground is fiscal conservatism.
    I was being sarcastic and referring to Labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was being sarcastic and referring to Labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, sorry. I didn't know what your intellectual/political positions were, and thought that you were pointing out the success of the (actually fairly centrist) SNP. My apologies.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry. I didn't know what your intellectual/political positions were, and thought that you were pointing out the success of the (actually fairly centrist) SNP. My apologies.
    The SNP have replaced Labour in Scotland as the most vocal critics of the Tories as Labour shifted to the right to win Middle England. As it turns out they lost middle England and got trounced up here too. As for centrism, nationalism is not a centrist ideology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.