Turn on thread page Beta

Jeremy Corbyn looking shabby / disrespectful watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I think it was appropriate.

He may indeed.

I think Rule, Britannia is a much more suitable choice for an anthem - I didn't say it was the anthem. Whilst it has become associated with imperialism the lyrics are hardly imperial for the song calls on Britain to rule the waves rather than saying that it does. Its certainly a less archaic idea than the ones in GSTQ.
    If you think refusing to sing the country's official song is appropriate for a man who wants to lead the country, the we've got such a fundamental difference of opinion that discussing this further isn't productive.

Of course let's not forget the reason he gave. He says he forgot. Hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    It isn't more suitable. It has the American problem that the verses are virtually unsingable other than by a trained singer.

When Britain first, at heaven's command,
    Arose from out the azure main,
    Arose, arose, arose from out the azure main,
    This was the charter, the charter of the land,
    And guardian angels sang this strain:
    I'm sure we'd just get people saying that they won't sing because they don't believe in heaven or angels.

Land of Hope and Glory would be a better B choice. You just have a bunch of instrumental and then you get to belt out an easy few lines. (Apparently there are verses as well as the chorus but I've never heard them sung.)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=SignFromDog;59402619]

"You don't turn up to a wedding in a tracksuit"
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I'm sure we'd just get people saying that they won't sing because they don't believe in heaven or angels.

Land of Hope and Glory would be a better B choice. You just have a bunch of instrumental and then you get to belt out an easy few lines. (Apparently there are verses as well as the chorus but I've never heard them sung.)
    Are you sure?

Land of Hope and Glory,
    Mother of the Free,
    How shall we extol thee,
    who are born of thee?
    Wider still, and wider,
    shall thy bounds be set;
    God, who made thee mighty,
    make thee mightier yet!

Dear Land of Hope, thy hope is crowned.
    God make thee mightier yet!
    On Sov'ran brows, beloved, renowned,
    Once more thy crown is set.
    Thine equal laws, by Freedom gained,
    Have ruled thee well and long;
    By Freedom gained, by Truth maintained,
    Thine Empire shall be strong.

Thy fame is ancient as the days,
    As Ocean large and wide:
    A pride that dares, and heeds not praise,
    A stern and silent pride.
    Not that false joy that dreams content
    With what our sires have won;
    The blood a hero sire hath spent
    Still nerves a hero son.
    When do we march on Paris?

Actually, the nearest we have to an official version of GSTQ is better than all of them:-

God save our gracious Queen
    Long live our noble Queen
    God save the Queen!
    Send her victorious
    Happy and glorious
    Long to reign over us
    God save the Queen!

One realm of races four
    Blest more and ever more
    God save our land!
    Home of the brave and free
    Set in the silver sea
    True nurse of chivalry
    God save our land!

Of many a race and birth
    From utmost ends of earth
    God save us all!
    Bid strife and hatred cease
    Bid hope and joy increase
    Spread universal peace
    God save us all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Are you sure?

When do we march on Paris?

Actually, the nearest we have to an official version of GSTQ is better than all of them:-
    As I say, I've never heard anything other than the first part of your quotation sung for Land of Hope and Glory. In fact I haven't heard it much outside of the last night of the proms. Most people seem capable of singing along there. Even if the rest of it is sung often, and I just don't know about it, an abbreviated form would in fact be used for most purposes for the national anthem, anyway, as in GSTQ. (Or at the very least could be, whatever is the present practice.)

I'm not saying I actually would change the national anthem, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SignFromDog)
    There was a bit of a brouhaha over Corbyn's failure to sing the national anthem at the RAF Battle of Britain memorial. I thought it was vaguely out of form, but what really jumped out at me was how shabby he looked.

Corbyn clearly couldn't be bothered to do up his top button and tie. I was brought up to understand that dressing appropriately and being neatly turned out shows respect for the occasion and the host.

You don't turn up to a wedding in a tracksuit; you don't go to a job interview in flip-flops. This is not some shallow fashion consideration; it's about showing your respect for the host and the occasion by dressing in a manner that befits the occasion.

I think he looked incredibly shabby with his mismatched jacket and trousers. And it's not like he doesn't own a nice suit, he was in one the previous day in the Commons. The fact he couldn't even be bothered to do up his top button and tie gave off the impression of a bored sixth-former at an event his Mum forced him to go to. That he couldn't even be effed and presumably knew the impression his shabbiness would put across is the crux of his disrespect for our fallen heroes.

It's the donkey jacket all over again, but this time suffused with genuine disrespect.

he looks great for his age and dressed fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CorbynsConcubine)
    he looks great for his age and dressed fine
    His scruffy jacket doesn't match his trousers and there are several yards between his neck and his shirt collar.

Compare our gloriously sharp, co-ordinated, and elegant PM:

Now there's a leader!

ReputationRep:
    His scruffy jacket doesn't match his trousers and there are several yards between his neck and his shirt collar.

Now there's a leader!
    David Cameron has a fat face and is unattractive

If you compared the two naked, Corbyn every time

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron has a fat face and is unattractive

If you compared the two naked, Corbyn every time
    :laugh:

If you put them both in front of a camera I think Dave would turn out to be in better shape but probably a little bashful without his suit. Jez strikes me as the utterly unashamed old person sort. So if a reality show were made of it he'd probably win overall.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:

If you put them both in front of a camera I think Dave would turn out to be in better shape but probably a little bashful without his suit. Jez strikes me as the utterly unashamed old person sort. So if a reality show were made of it he'd probably win overall.
    Corbyn has nice legs in shorts

IMO Jeremy is just sexier, left wing men are sexier

Jeremy gets away with dressing worse because he is hotter. If you dressed Brad Pitt badly and Nicholas Cage well ofc Brad Pitt would look better

ReputationRep:
    IMO Jeremy is just sexier, left wing men are sexier
    No, they really aren't. It depends on the person. One thing that is very unsexy is to judge someone's attractiveness based on their politics (within reason); it comes across as a bit fanatical which is never an attractive trait

ReputationRep:

Now there's a leader!
    HAHHAHAHAH oh the tory cheerleader has sunk to a new low.

Yeah a 'leader' who stuffs his **** into dead animals. Such a leader!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)

You're just mad because you don't dress as well as he does

ReputationRep:
    Same tailor as Michael Foot. He'll be wearing a donkey jacket next.

(Original post by Bornblue)

Dead (pun not intended) right, Bornblue. Bestiality and necrophilia are not the mark of a sane person.

Much better to have a casual-dressing leader who has principles and is not afraid to defend the poor, disabled, dispossessed and vulnerable, than one who postures and poses as a 'so-called' leader who is at the behest of his 115 spin doctors and is nowt but a PR failure. Notice how Cameron tries to shuffle as close as he can to Angela Merkel for the official EU group photos whilst she does her best to get as far away from him as she can...he looks pathetic.

Dumb Dave is the epitome of pomposity as he makes his statements to the media and promptly walks away before he can be questioned. He is unable to stand his ground because everything he says is from the mouths of his advisors...he's only 'talent' is nastiness and cruelty, and the reason he's called 'Flashman' by some. (check out Tom Brown's Schooldays for those who are unfamiliar with the character of Flashman.)

I thought Thatcher was bad but her acolyte really is the spawn of satan. I have never witnessed a leader who has reneged on so many election promises and who causes chaos (along with his pal who looks as though he's either smashed out of his head or is about to pop his clogs as he sits beside him at PMQ's) with his policies as they fall apart one by one.

Neither of them have a clue what they're doing, along with the entire Cabinet. The country is in even greater debt due to the borrowing by Gideon...a debt that far surpasses anything that the Labour party amassed. 1.5 trillion and rising!

The saviours of the mega wealthy who have become much richer since 2010 do not support the working people who have seen their living standards eroded as they strive to keep their heads above the parapet.

If we're comparing people by the clothes they wear, then the adage "clothes maketh the man" bear no resemblance to that which is true:
    Jeremy Corbyn; a man of exemplary character who epitomises that which is descent, kind and respectful.
    Dumpy Dave: a man who epitomises that which is vulgar, unkind, disrespectful and deceitful.

What is it about extreme right-wing parties? They're all at it around the world...bring in swingeing legislation that is deleterious to working people whilst accumulating ever greater riches for the already obscenely wealthy.

I guess they simply despise the working wo/men and want to subdue them into submission to work without a descent pay cheque and deprive them of all rights.

Check out the effects of their policies on working people in Australia, Ireland, USA, Canada, the Middle East and several EU countries. Extreme right-wing politics are anathema to social justice for the working people.

And then look to Jeremy Corbyn; a man of exemplary character who epitomises that which is descent, kind and respectful.

The suggestion that Jeremy Corbyn's attire on non-official gatherings is of any consequence in the scheme of things is shallow, particularly when measured against the enormous debt that Gideon has imposed on the country...the biggest debt of any country in Europe, even Greece.

Makes complaints about Jeremy's attire sink into oblivion, doesn't it?

(Original post by SignFromDog)

Corbyn clearly couldn't be bothered to do up his top button and tie.
    You've well and truly being manipulated by the right-wing media, haven't you?

Jeremy Corbyn is a man of slight stature. His shirt neck-size is very narrow and it's impossible to get a man's shirt of that size that will fit the neck-size. That does not make him less of a man.

He did have his shirt fully-buttoned up and likewise, his tie was knotted as close to the neck as was possible in the circumstances.

Do you know what I think is disrespectful? Attempting to demean a true gentleman who attended a function out of respect for the remembrance of those who gave their lives for their country. That is what counts, not a media frenzy from an extreme right-wing media who manipulate the minds of those who are unable to think for themselves...you know, the sheep amongst us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Since when do clothes have any affect on a persons ability to do their job?

Much ado about **** all.
    Well, if you can't fault a man's policies, you have to find something to complain about.....oh wait.

ReputationRep:

"Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,
    How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?
    Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set;
    God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet,
    God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet."

The lyrics are literally about conquering foreign countries in God's name. How is that better?

Now there's a leader!
    He looks like a spiv...which come to think of it, he is!

He's also quite ugly with that podgy face and supercilious grin. Hasn't he put on a lot of weight in the last five years feeding off the fat of the land, and all those fund-raising banquets he attends?

At least his deputy has lost a lot of weight, but looking at his pallor and demeanour on PMQ's as he sits silently plotting his next offensive, he looks positively ill. I wonder what could be ailing him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    I'm not saying everyone should sing the national anthem. I'm saying the leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, Privy Councillor, and PM-in-waiting should. Is that actually a ridiculous thing to think?

And if he admitted he did it out of conviction I could at least respect his strength of character. Instead he's saying he forgot.

Oh FFS passing something through Parliament is not a huge story. The tax cuts and welfare cuts were discussed heavily when they were announced in the Budget. To see it get through Parliament is very unexciting - the Tories have a Parliamentary majority and the tax credit legislation garnered cross-party support. It's not surprise. The story was covered when it was news.

The Corbyn story, when it was released, was news. Papers know it interests their readers, so they print it. He either looks like a bitter, disrespectful old man, or a dazed idiot. So what do you think makes a more natural headline, if you were trying to sell papers to a dying customer base? The fact legislation has been predictably passed through HoC, or the fact the new Leader of the Opposition, who is a pacifist republican, doesn't sing the national anthem?
    All that tells me is the free market is no longer a suitable delivery system for the fourth estate. If it is unprofitable to hold the government to account in the media then we had better figure out how to do so on a non-profit-making basis. Of course normal people with theie ingenuity have already thought about this and I for one learn more from blogs, forums and comments than anything in the papers.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.