Turn on thread page Beta

Keele A100 Applicants 2016 Entry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine_b)
    Do you think it is acceptable to use the abbreviation HCA instead of writing out 'healthcare assistant'?
    I'm desperately trying to cut down on characters!
    I'm struggling as wel. I don't know to be honest, I mean it is obvious to us but I wouldn't want it be used to penalise us!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    I'm struggling as wel. I don't know to be honest, I mean it is obvious to us but I wouldn't want it be used to penalise us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I'm probably gonna put HCA because otherwise its a serious waste of valuable characters! I guess as I've written out healthcare assistant in the little table for my role, they will know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    On my word document it says my answer is 1091 characters and I put it into the box and I get a red notification underneath saying it cannot exceed 110 characters! But it isnt!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On my word document it says my answer is 1091 characters and I put it into the box and I get a red notification underneath saying it cannot exceed 110 characters! But it isnt!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that 1,091 characters with spaces in your word document? Unfortunately the 1,100 limit has to include spaces Otherwise Im not really sure whats going on

ReputationRep:
    Ok I posted 900 characters in the box for Q1 and it came up with that warning of it not exceeding 1100 characters?!!!

Has this happened to anyone else? If not I will have to ring them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is that 1,091 characters with spaces in your word document? Unfortunately the 1,100 limit has to include spaces Otherwise Im not really sure whats going on
    That's characters no spaces, are you saying it is characters with spaces?? That is impossible how on earth are people doing it!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's characters no spaces, are you saying it is characters with spaces??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think so, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I think so, yes.
    This is a joke then. That is not around 200 words which is what they say! That is around 150 words.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But personal statement is 4000 chargers no spaces?! How can this be with spaces. Anyone else had this Warning sign come up and if so are you counting characters including spaces or not? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To people who are already studying there, how do you pick which roles to put in? Also if one of my four things is only 8 hours, is it even worth putting in?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    But personal statement is 4000 chargers no spaces?! How can this be with spaces. Anyone else had this Warning sign come up and if so are you counting characters including spaces or not? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the personal statement does include spaces as characters. i think it's the same for the R&R form as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I posted 900 characters in the box for Q1 and it came up with that warning of it not exceeding 1100 characters?!!!

Has this happened to anyone else? If not I will have to ring them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it might be worth it if you use an online character count to double check how many characters there are in your answer (it includes spaces in the count). if it still makes no sense, you should probably phone up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adershsaravanaa)
    it might be worth it if you use an online character count to double check how many characters there are in your answer (it includes spaces in the count). if it still makes no sense, you should probably phone up
    Ok so all the sections I posted, when I counted characters with spaces it was ok but without spaces they were over if they were near the limit.

It's the same for Manchester as well. I posted my 1091 character answer for caring role and they cut it off where the limit was exceeded.

I will ring them to double check anyway but I think it is with spaces

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy2411)
    Hi guys, I'm currently in year 1 of Medicine at Keele. I'm a graduate with a BMedSc and an MSc but it took me 3 goes at getting into Medicine and I nearly gave up! If any of you want advice about the interview process or the course in general just shout, happy to help
    Hey, I just wanted to ask what would be good for me to put in the "Roles and Responsibility" form Keele wants

ReputationRep:
    Spoken to Keele, they said that its characters WITH spaces and you are allowed to copy and paste from ps as your statement only comes into play once you get an interview.

Hope his helps guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spoken to Keele, they said that its characters WITH spaces and you are allowed to copy and paste from ps as your statement only comes into play once you get an interview.

Hope his helps guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah right that's brilliant! So we wont be penalized for copying and pasting parts of our PS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahurok)
    Ah right that's brilliant! So we wont be penalized for copying and pasting parts of our PS?
    No. The woman was lovely and she said she doesn't seen any reason why you can't cos they only look at the statement at interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm done!

I'm not putting anything for the last section on exceptional circumstances. Is anyone else?

I'm worried that this form doesn't show them enough about me with the limited amount of words we have!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For abbreviations you could just say Health Care Assistant (HCA) at the start of the forum?

Anyways hi guys first time posting here, I am also a graduate! Just had a few queries about the R & R forum. I just don't know what to say since they always mention above and beyond! I worked at a takeaway for several years part time but theres not really in it where I can demonstrate above and beyond.

And do you think its okay for volunteer to put down a society at university? Was only involved in freshers fair where I sign people up to be a bone marrow donor and not sure if that counts since that only consisted a couple hours... And a caring role for family is so hard! How can they expect above and beyond, isn't doing anything to help them as much as you can natural!

Also the last section, do you think its appropriate to mention getting a first in my dissertation? Had many major changes to make and was also hurt my self from sports and was sick with coursework and exam close to the hand in deadline for disseration?

Sorry for asking so many questions! The constant mentioning of above and beyond has made me unsure of what to say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain127)
    For abbreviations you could just say Health Care Assistant (HCA) at the start of the forum?

Anyways hi guys first time posting here, I am also a graduate! Just had a few queries about the R & R forum. I just don't know what to say since they always mention above and beyond! I worked at a takeaway for several years part time but theres not really in it where I can demonstrate above and beyond.

And do you think its okay for volunteer to put down a society at university? Was only involved in freshers fair where I sign people up to be a bone marrow donor and not sure if that counts since that only consisted a couple hours... And a caring role for family is so hard! How can they expect above and beyond, isn't doing anything to help them as much as you can natural!

Also the last section, do you think its appropriate to mention getting a first in my dissertation? Had many major changes to make and was also hurt my self from sports and was sick with coursework and exam close to the hand in deadline for disseration?

Sorry for asking so many questions! The constant mentioning of above and beyond has made me unsure of what to say!
    Hi there!
    I think that any role you have done is worth listing if you can explain what you have learnt from it, and how the skills you acquired could help you with a career in medicine, so definitely include your job if you don't have other experiences that could be more relevant. Also, include about your work for marrow, even if it was only a few hours! I was on the committee of marrow society at my university and helped recruit people onto the bone marrow register too, and I included it as I think theres a lot I can say about that. Don't worry, I think it is all about the quality of what you write, rather than the quantity of roles you list. I was also worried about the 'above and beyond' aspect too, as I certainly don't feel like anything I have done is exceptional!
    I would only mention the sickness during your dissertation time if you have actual proof like a doctors letter or something...because I think they will want to check extenuating circumstances like that with evidence. But thats just my opinion, if you want to include it then go ahead.
    Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2017
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.