Turn on thread page Beta

What is harder GCSE Geography or GCSE History watch

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, bump

ReputationRep:
    Geography is wayyyyyy more harder than history. I advise you to not take geography as it will weigh you down when you want to study other subjects. There is so much material to learn and the added stress of this on top of your other subjects is just too much. If you do, however want to take geography, try as hard as you can in the coursework so that it will bring your grade up.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    thx, bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid;[url="tel:59419635")
    59419635[/url]]I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
    in geography we are doing the Edexcel B syllabus, there is a lot of topics. this year is physical geog, year 11 is human geog. we do 1 topic a lesson. history the topics are: nazi germany; cold war; civil rights; Malcolm X and britain (forgot the dates for britain). For history we are doing OCR B
    To be honest, I have looked at geog past papers, they seem easy. However I am interested in both but more in history, but for some reason I am finding it stressful to decide. Please help!
    Hi!
    I was on the same exam board as you for history last year and I found it very interesting! It involves source coursework, learning dates , historical events and also learning the answer structures which is arguably the most important! Just so you know some colleges don't require you to have a GCSE in history to do it at A-Level 😊you just need your English. It is a lot of work so you have to be prepared to work hard and you've got a lot to remember for your exams!
    I also did geography but in a different board but they'll be similar anyway 😉geography at GCSE isn't that interesting as it's mostly common sense and case studies. I haven't taken this at A-level like history but I've been told it's more interesting at A-level however I do not know if you need the GCSE for this but I'm sure a quick google search will help !
    If you plan on taking either at A-level I would suggest doing the one your thinking about as it will give you good background knowledge (Doing history has certainly helped me for a recent essay! And it will help me on the subjects I'm doing for my coursework!)
    Let me know what you decide and good luck! 😊

ReputationRep:
    thanks. good answer. i have till thursday.anymore answers please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid;[url="tel:59797009")
    59797009[/url]]thanks. good answer. i have till thursday.anymore answers please?
    Also, if you are more interested in history I would suggest that as you will be more likely to enjoy the lessons and work more which will make it easier to remember when the exams come (especially since geography can be quite dull at times, so it can be hard to find motivation for it!)

ReputationRep:
    True that. I am still stressting out because geography is sorta boring when compared to history imo but then again everyone has said geography is easier because: there is less to memorise; and there is not many long answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid;[url="tel:59799065")
    59799065[/url]]True that. I am still stressting out because geography is sorta boring when compared to history imo but then again everyone has said geography is easier because: there is less to memorise; and there is not many long answers.
    Obviously it's a hard choice to make (I was torn between art and geography at GCSE and chose geography), but I think you should decided where your strengths are- if you are good at English and essays and structures and being able to do key facts then history. You need to use the structures given and manage your time effectively and remember key facts and dates (which is easier than I thought it was going to be !)
    - if you can summarise info and infer things given to you and remember things well (I had to learn 22 case studies even though I only needed to write about 4!). In geography you also do a problem solving paper (or my exam board did) where you get given info and you have to write a letter explaining your plan and use the info given to back up your answers.
    Also look at your results from the past year and see which you are stronger in. You also need to use and understand key terms and phrases

Most schools let you change what you've taken in the first few weeks of the lessons anyway so if you make a choice and then get to lesson and don't like it then you can always swap 😊

ReputationRep:
    xthx im good at english as well as science and apparently english compliments history and sdcience compliments geography. ughhhh stress

ReputationRep:
    well i did both, history was defiantly more interesting whilst geography was easier, why not do both?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid)
    I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
    in geography we are doing the Edexcel B syllabus, there is a lot of topics. this year is physical geog, year 11 is human geog. we do 1 topic a lesson. history the topics are: nazi germany; cold war; civil rights; Malcolm X and britain (forgot the dates for britain). For history we are doing OCR B
    To be honest, I have looked at geog past papers, they seem easy. However I am interested in both but more in history, but for some reason I am finding it stressful to decide. Please help!
    I've done both geography and history GCSEs and it really depends on what you find easier: writing essays, looking between the lines, which is what is needed in history or remembering facts, figures and case studies which you need in geography.
    Personally, I found geography harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid;[url="tel:59800783")
    59800783[/url]]xthx im good at english as well as science and apparently english compliments history and sdcience compliments geography. ughhhh stress
    In my opinion I never had to use science skills in geography( I was in triple science) but then again it may be different in your school maybe look at past papers and have a look? Good luck☺️
    Also I forgot to mention that you also do coursework in geography which is also essay based but the hardness of the two coursework are probably around the same

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This is a really hard position for you to be in, but please don't stress to much. As others have said, you don't necessarily need the GCSE to do the A Level, and this is the case for both A level History and Geography at my college, and I go to a very good college with high entry requirements, (I don't want you to think that it's down to them having spaces to fill).

Hopefully you've made your decision by now, but if not, I thought I'd add another opinion to the mix. I did both at GCSE and got A* in both, now doing AS Geography.

As others have said, they're both going to require work and you should pick what you enjoy, but I do understand that there's a pressure to get good grades.

Personally, I found History (I did OCR A, so different content, same exam technique) quite boring, although I got my best GCSE result in it. As long as you memorise your dates, which there are a lot of, and go to revision classes, there is little revision for History. However, exam technique is very important. Also, OCR have brought in new exam techniques last year (June 2015 exams) and there was very poor information about them. For one paper, it was 35/60 for an A* which reflects the cohort's poor knowledge of techniques etc. (Not their fault). But, teachers may be more informed this year! Furthermore, the History Coursework is godawful. It might have been my awful teacher, but seriously, it was hell. There's unachievable word limits (way too low, again, new this year) and all the things you have to do are very stressful. That said, some people did very well, but others no so, so it isn't impossible.

I did WJEC Geography, which is a weird board, so I can't speak for all of Geography, but there was a lot to learn (you can't wing geography) especially if your course involves case studies, which I believe it does. There's a lot to learn for those and you can't wing them, or you will struggle and be disappointed, as my friends from other schools have learnt. I would look at Physical Geography as a science; similar difficulty and revision requirements as science. Human Geography is generally what people are referring to as the "easy" part of geography. Again, like all GCSEs, Geography is getting harder, and there were some nasty questions in my papers this year, which we hadn't been told about. There really isn't such thing as an easy GCSE. Also, the Geography coursework was quite long and involves lots of graphs, writing and field trips. Not too difficult, but is time consuming.

However, these are just my personal opinions. Go with your gut. GCSE options are not the end of the world, you will not destroy career plans or anything like that. I suggest talking to teachers and your parents/guardians/carers. They may be old, but they do know some stuff.

Also, I've just realised if you're doing the new GCSEs, you may not have coursework, so check that out too!

Best of Luck, please don't worry! Also, it's super early in the year, most schools do options in February/March time, so if you change your mind in the coming months, I'm sure your school will be able to be flexible. Also, feel free to ask me anything :-) I hope this helped, or at least didn't make things worse!

ReputationRep:
    I've made my mind, i'm switching to history. Thanks. Any advice on History or revision tips? History GCSE has started already and I am in Geography (switching to history) I have missed some things already but I am determined to work to the best of my ability so I can catch up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid)
    I've made my mind, i'm switching to history. Thanks. Any advice on History or revision tips? History GCSE has started already and I am in Geography (switching to history) I have missed some things already but I am determined to work to the best of my ability so I can catch up.
    Every time you learn a new date, write the event on the front of the post-it, e.g. D-Day, then on the back, write 6 June 1944 and stick it somewhere such as the fridge door. Every time you open the fridge door, pick up your toothbrush, turn on a light, you have to guess the date of the event, then check you're right. Really really good way to learn. I was skeptical at first, but works well and takes little time, much better than sitting down and learning them all! You'd be surprised how quickly you know them.

If you don't want post-it notes up for 2 years in your house, do it 5-10 weeks before GCSEs, still works just as well.

I also found writing timelines or bullet pointing events in chronological order helped. Our teacher didn't teach in chronological order (!) so having it in order helped me to understand things a bit better, e.g. why one event led to another.

Keep reviewing your notes, keep them neat and highlighted, the usual etc. Tbh, most people don't do this stuff until Easter yr11 and still do amazing, so if you don't have time, don't worry.

I think you're going to do really well, you sound very motivated. With GCSEs, if you are motivated/hard working, which you clearly are, you can achieve anything. Don't worry about the first few weeks it's mostly just settling in and notes from other peoples' books can always be photocopied. If not, use your smartphone (or a friend's) to take photos of people's notes, so you have them.

History is so interesting, you'll be glad you took it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid;[url="tel:59810455")
    59810455[/url]]I've made my mind, i'm switching to history. Thanks. Any advice on History or revision tips? History GCSE has started already and I am in Geography (switching to history) I have missed some things already but I am determined to work to the best of my ability so I can catch up.
    History is a lot to learn in a little time (I know 2 years seems like loads but honestly it goes so quickly) so revise constantly over the topics it pays off! Try not to miss lessons as it can be hard to catch it up effiecently. Flash cards and timelines are good for this and do it by topic as the exam is in order 😊 best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    History, no question. Geography is one of the easiest GCSE's and A Levels you can do

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.