Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recieved an offer from Heriot Watt a few weeks ago. I just logged into my MyHWU account and there is nothing there about my course or offer - it's just random general things about the uni. is that what it's meant to be or should it have my relevant course information? (I haven't accepted the offer yet)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by sm11)
    I recieved an offer from Heriot Watt a few weeks ago. I just logged into my MyHWU account and there is nothing there about my course or offer - it's just random general things about the uni. is that what it's meant to be or should it have my relevant course information? (I haven't accepted the offer yet)
    Hi sm11

Sorry about that - not sure what's going on there. Is it a UG or PG offer you've received?

If you let me know what course you've had an offer for, be happy to send you some information about it or put you in touch with the school if you have specific questions?

Cheers

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any specific questions, I was just wondering if that was normal or if it should have personal information on it? just because other unis with similar sites have personal information, so I was wondering if Heriot Watt was the same! it was an undergraduate unconditional offer for chemical engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm11)
    I don't have any specific questions, I was just wondering if that was normal or if it should have personal information on it? just because other unis with similar sites have personal information, so I was wondering if Heriot Watt was the same! it was an undergraduate unconditional offer for chemical engineering.

Same here, there was a random invite sent through to an information open evening in Dundee!! Nothing at all about the course I have accepted and confirmed my place.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if there is a specific area for Motorbikes to park within the Edinburgh campus or is it just within the general car parks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have another question

I want to ask about the english requirement of master program for International Student. Is there a minimal IELTS score for each section? or just overall score of 6.5 is enough?

If there is any minimal score for each section and an applicant doesn't meet the requirement in one section, can he/she send another test result later that would meet the requirement? or he/she have to attend the english courses later at HWU?

thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Amandy98)
    Hi, i have been given uncondiotional offers for chemistry with biochemistry and chemistry with pharmaceuticals and i was just wondering what first year would be like? Would I study more that one subject, and if so would they all have to be within the same school? I was also wondering how flexable the courses are, and what kind of opportunities there are for changing degree if i decide that one of these isn't for me?
    Hi Amandy98,

The course are really similar in the first year so there is a great deal of flexibility between the two. The courses you study will be within the same school. The Chemistry courses are fully accredited so although you do have some optional modules we need to make sure you will be fully accredited when you graduate.

Hope this has answered your question but if you have any more just get back in touch,

Cheers,
    Keir
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by nicktheo07)
    Almost two months..no answer yet...
    Hi nicktheo07,

I am really sorry to hear this. We are getting offers out every day so hopefully you will hear from us soon. If you don't mind me asking, what course have you applied for? I can give you contact details for the admissions tutor so you can get in touch directly if you are worried.

Fingers crossed for you,
    Cheers,
    Keir
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Annejanedownie)
    Same here, there was a random invite sent through to an information open evening in Dundee!! Nothing at all about the course I have accepted and confirmed my place.
    Hi Annejanedownie,

The evening in Dundee is just a chance for you to meet the recruitment team and if you or your family have any questions or queries you can ask us there. I am not sure if you are planning to come along to the evening but if you have no questions and you have accepted your place it is not a compulsory event. Just a support service so students can make informed decisions.

(Original post by Annejanedownie)
    I was wondering if there is a specific area for Motorbikes to park within the Edinburgh campus or is it just within the general car parks.
    To answer your other question there is no specific spaces on campus but there is car parks on campus so if you wanted to bring your motorbike, you can.

As always, anymore questions just keep them coming.
    Cheers,
    Keir
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ahani)
    Hi, i have another question

I want to ask about the english requirement of master program for International Student. Is there a minimal IELTS score for each section? or just overall score of 6.5 is enough?

If there is any minimal score for each section and an applicant doesn't meet the requirement in one section, can he/she send another test result later that would meet the requirement? or he/she have to attend the english courses later at HWU?

thanks
    Hi Ahani,

I actually don't the answer for this myself as I normally deal with students coming from the UK. However I have emailed my colleague in the international office and when they get back to me I will post the answer here.

Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heriot-Watt University)
    Hi Ahani,

I actually don't the answer for this myself as I normally deal with students coming from the UK. However I have emailed my colleague in the international office and when they get back to me I will post the answer here.

Cheers,
    Keir
    thanks for your help! looking forward to hearing from you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ahani)
    thanks for your help! looking forward to hearing from you!
    HI Ahani,

I emailed my colleague, Donna, who works in the International Office and this was her response...

Students using an IELTS test for postgraduate programmes generally require 6.5 overall with nothing less than 6.0, although there are small number exceptions to this such as our languages courses. If the student doesn't meet that requirement then we do offer a Pre-Sessional programme for different levels or a second test can be used. We would happily look at the students qualifications in more detail to advise further, they can email our International Officer Donna Gall directly at [email protected] to discuss.

Hope this answers your question but if you have any further questions feel free to get back to Donna.

Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    I am wondering if anyone knows around what time of the year exams are for the MSc Petroleum Engineering course? Also when are there breaks, if any...? Thanks in advance!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Khuam17)
    I am wondering if anyone knows around what time of the year exams are for the MSc Petroleum Engineering course? Also when are there breaks, if any...? Thanks in advance!
    HI Khuam17,

The exam timetable is the same across all students (see below). Regarding breaks normally there is a break over the Christmas/New Year period and again another break in spring (April).

Academic Year Exams 2016/17
    Semester/Diet Dates
    Semester 1
    5 December 2016 - 16 December 2016
    Semester 2
    24 April 2017 – 19 May 2017
    Reassessment Semester 3
    3 August 2017 – 11 August 2017
    7 August 2017 - 11 August 2017

Hope this has helped.
    Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    As I am an EU outside of UK applicant, my offer says that I should score 7,5 from IELTS language exam. I found that the equivalent of this grade would be CAE grade B. Is it possible to fulfill the English language requirement with CAE?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kyinra)
    Hello!
    As I am an EU outside of UK applicant, my offer says that I should score 7,5 from IELTS language exam. I found that the equivalent of this grade would be CAE grade B. Is it possible to fulfill the English language requirement with CAE?
    Hi Kyinra,

Thanks for getting in touch.

You should be fine with the CAE qualification. If you want the definitive answer on that I would advise you to email the admissions tutor for your chosen subject as it will ultimately be their decision but I am fairly confident that you will be ok with the grade you have.

Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heriot-Watt University)
    Hi Kyinra,

Thanks for getting in touch.

You should be fine with the CAE qualification. If you want the definitive answer on that I would advise you to email the admissions tutor for your chosen subject as it will ultimately be their decision but I am fairly confident that you will be ok with the grade you have.

Cheers,
    Keir

Great, thank you! 😊

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I´m an EU student. Has anyone got a reply for Economics?... I'm still waiting

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have applied for Business Management with Business Law and still haven't received an offer.. Has anyone else heard anything yet ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering if there's an athletics track at Heriot Watt? Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.