Turn on thread page Beta

Why do Pakistanis get lumped in with Indians (or even "South Asians")? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    That's an over exaggeration, it's more like 30-40%
    Where i come from peterborough, we mostly only come across mirpuris.And here there are over 12000 pakistanis as of 2011 census.I dont beleive its 30-40%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif86)
    Most of them come from rural areas in mirpur district.But in fact almost everyone in mirpur has some relative living in britain.Places like kotli and bhimber are part of mirpur division,add them than mirpuri percentage is even higher in england.Wikipedia page on british pakistanis says that they are close to or more than 70%.
    It says 70% of British Pakistanis can trace their origins to the city of Mirpur and its surrounding areas which sounds more accurate.

ReputationRep:
    Where i come from peterborough, we mostly only come across mirpuris.And here there are over 12000 pakistanis as of 2011 census.I dont beleive its 30-40%.
    Peterborough is in particular known for having lots of Mirpuris.

If you add up all the ones from other parts of AJK like Bhimber and Kotli, then there's all the ones from Jhelum, Gujar Khan, Chakwal, Attock, Rawalpindi, then you also have fairly large communities from Faisalabad, Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar, Nowshera, and also a fairly large population from FATA, and also a large population that came from East Africa. If you add all these people up then there's no way Mirpuris would still be about 70%. 30% seems too low though, I think 40-50% is more accurate, as it says in that link I posted earlier.

ReputationRep:
    Lol bc Pakistanis are South Asian...

ReputationRep:
    F*ck me all this arguing over such a stupid topic. If this is the psych of all indians and pakistanis its only a matter of time before the nukes start flying in on each other. I dont even know why everyone is arguing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saeed97)
    F*ck me all this arguing over such a stupid topic. If this is the psych of all indians and pakistanis its only a matter of time before the nukes start flying in on each other. I dont even know why everyone is arguing.
    Yemen is one country

ReputationRep:
    Peterborough is in particular known for having lots of Mirpuris.
    Peterborough is not the only one.Places like birmingham and bradford to name some are known to have even more mirpuris.Kotli was created out of mirpur in 1975 and bhimber used to be tehsil(subdivision) of mirpur before 1996.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elehin)
    Yemen is one country
    Yes it "is" one country but hopefully not for long

ReputationRep:
    Peterborough is not the only one.Places like birmingham and bradford to name some are known to have even more mirpuris.Kotli was created out of mirpur in 1975 and bhimber used to be tehsil(subdivision) of mirpur before 1996.
    Yes, they do make up about 70% of Pakistanis in Bradford and Birmingham, but there are other places they're in the minority like London or Scotland. All I'm saying is them making up 70% of Pakistanis across the UK is a bit over-exaggerated, it's more like 40-50%.

ReputationRep:
    Northern Indians and Pakistanis are somewhat similar, in fact its Dravidians/Sri Lankans that strike me as being quite distinct. North Indians/Pakistanis tend to behave more like Greeks if anything, swaggering around in sunglasses, designer labels and 'cruising'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    This. The whole of South Asia is VERY diverse. I can definitely tell the difference between most Indians and Pakistanis. It gets a bit harder when the Indians are say from the Punjab, or just...northern India.. That's when the lines get a bit blurred
    I think the only country on earth who has trouble differentiating between Pakistanis and Indians are the US. They look very different.

Northern Indians and Pakistanis are somewhat similar, in fact its Dravidians/Sri Lankans that strike me as being quite distinct. North Indians/Pakistanis tend to behave more like Greeks if anything, swaggering around in sunglasses, designer labels and 'cruising'.
    [img]http://orig12.deviantart.net/f40c/f/2012/097/7/6/*****_please_by_stringsforevea05-d4vd107.jpg[/img]

North Indians are poorer than South Indians lol. The richest countries in South Asia are Maldives and Sri Lanka.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they do make up about 70% of Pakistanis in Bradford and Birmingham, but there are other places they're in the minority like London or Scotland. All I'm saying is them making up 70% of Pakistanis across the UK is a bit over-exaggerated, it's more like 40-50%.
    Scotland hardly matters.There were no more than 50,000 pakistanis in 2011 census compared with over 1 million for england.In london pakistanis come from all kinds of diverse background and thats also the reason why they do better than places like bradford.

ReputationRep:
    The IMF puts Pakistan among Middle Eastern countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken Bacon)
    Indians are cool people, Pakistanis are just strange, rude and dumb people. (this is generally speaking)I'm neither, so my view is not biased.
    Bumping this due to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3724171

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to bring this up due to the recent mess involving the European Union and the UK's European identity.

Both India and Europe are made up of many states and cultures that work together to form a centralised political force. Sri Lanka's relationship with India is almost a carbon-copy of the UK's relationship with Europe. Both Pakistan and Turkey have played huge roles with their respective neighbors, and both have been in large-scale empires with their respective neighbours, but neither are part of Europe or India.

Pakistan has direct economic and cultural ties with the Persian and Arab states, that the rest of South Asia simply does not share. Indonesia has limited ties to the Middle East. Pakistanis hold no racial relevance for the majority of South Asians.

South Asia is like Europe. India is like the European Union.

ReputationRep:
    Well Pakistanis were Indians 70 years ago until the politicians played their dirty politics.

So I dont see why there is an issue in lumping them in the same bracket.
    The two countries are really identical and share a lot in common.

I myself as an Indian can say that its been said that my ancestors hailed from the Sindh area of Pakistan and during the partition , many former indians moved to pakistan and many pakistanis moved to India........

So if all that can happen then i dont see what the issue is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Asians

ReputationRep:
    Ethnicaly wise you guys are Indian with Persian/Afghan background. Be proud of your Indian roots, we had a great civilization and we are vry diverse. That makes us so special.

ReputationRep:
    Lol u should be proud of your Indian roots. We had a great ancient civilization and that makes us very diverse. Also, Pakistanis are ethnically INDIAN, with PERSIAN/AFGHAN roots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shravgod)
    Ethnicaly wise you guys are Indian with Persian/Afghan background. Be proud of your Indian roots, we had a great civilization and we are vry diverse. That makes us so special.
    Please don’t bring back old threads to life

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.