Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My favourite pro veganism quotation! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Not bad, what marinade have you got on those?
    Oh it's a picture I found from Google

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    I need meat I can't live on salad
    Did you know meat is dead animal flesh? It was once a living thing with a brain and feelings but was deprived the chance of a happy life so it could be killed so you could eat it. Don't you feel sorry for the animal at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Oh it's a picture I found from Google
    I'm flattered you went to all that effort to try to piss me off. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Strange logic. There are many highly intelligent religious people, too..
    That is not quite true. There are smart religious people sure, but smart people on the whole are not religious. Mostly. On the other hand, while smart people may be slightly more vegetarian I think that this is mostly a function of class.

Also I am not entirely confident about religion for this reason. I see fewer convincing arguments in favour of being religious than in favour of the holocaust having happened or the earth rotating, but no smart people believe that those last two are false so I end up questioning myself more about my (lack) of religious views, see?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tysonmaniac)
    That is not quite true. There are smart religious people sure, but smart people on the whole are not religious. Mostly. On the other hand, while smart people may be slightly more vegetarian I think that this is mostly a function of class.

Also I am not entirely confident about religion for this reason. I see fewer convincing arguments in favour of being religious than in favour of the holocaust having happened or the earth rotating, but no smart people believe that those last two are false so I end up questioning myself more about my (lack) of religious views, see?
    I must be an odd-ball then. I regard myself as a working class Vegan. My dad emigrated here when he was 15 and was living day to day and worked as a labourer/ trainee carpenter. My mother was from a poor farming background in india. They earn £2-3 a day on average right now, so god knows what they were getting back in the 70's and early 80's!

I kind of agree that diet is a function of class in the respect that people of a higher class are generally better educated and thus make informed decisions about their diet more than uneducated or poorly educated people, which mainly constitute the working/lower middle classes. However, not everyone from a working class background is dumb and the ones that are smart can make an informed decision about their diet just as much as a person from a higher social status.

So I think that people with a more vegetarian/vegan diet is more a function of intelligence than class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Veganism is for pretentious nonces.
    This is the most accurate post in the thread. They are righteous as well, which I cannot stand. Ask them why they are vegan and they will say it's because they don't want animal cruelty. lol, because I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Did you know meat is dead animal flesh? It was once a living thing with a brain and feelings but was deprived the chance of a happy life so it could be killed so you could eat it. Don't you feel sorry for the animal at all?
    Don't make out as though any other animal is as sentient as humans, most animals probably have little more than very basic feelings.

To be honest most vegans/vegetarians are hypocrites anyway, they use products containing animals.

I must be an odd-ball then. I regard myself as a working class Vegan. My dad emigrated here when he was 15 and was living day to day and worked as a labourer/ trainee carpenter. My mother was from a poor farming background in india. They earn £2-3 a day on average right now, so god knows what they were getting back in the 70's and early 80's!

I kind of agree that diet is a function of class in the respect that people of a higher class are generally better educated and thus make informed decisions about their diet more than uneducated or poorly educated people, which mainly constitute the working/lower middle classes. However, not everyone from a working class background is dumb and the ones that are smart can make an informed decision about their diet just as much as a person from a higher social status.

So I think that people with a more vegetarian/vegan diet is more a function of intelligence than class.
    Here's a revolutionary idea, perhaps it's like being gay or black; it says absolutely nothing about any of your personal attribute or characteristics.

£2-3 a day? That's not working class that's extreme poverty

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    ucts containing animals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Vegetarians are. I know a lot of vegetarians who wear leather jackets and shoes. It's disgusting and I find it repulsive. I don't wear anything made from animals. I used to wear leather shoes when I was an ignorant vegetarian, but when I found out what it was and how it came into being I became a vegan and gave it up. I went as far as travelling all the way to Brighton to buy a pair of non-leather office shoes! :eek: I recently bought two pairs of Vegan outdoor shoes from Merrell's website.

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarians are. I know a lot of vegetarians who wear leather jackets and shoes. It's disgusting and I find it repulsive. I don't wear anything made from animals. I used to wear leather shoes when I was an ignorant vegetarian, but when I found out what it was and how it came into being I became a vegan and gave it up. I went as far as travelling all the way to Brighton to buy a pair of non-leather office shoes! :eek: I recently bought two pairs of Vegan outdoor shoes from Merrell's website.
    So I assume you also use vegan toothpaste, candles, deodorant and soap? So many everyday things contain animal products

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    So I assume you also use vegan toothpaste, candles, deodorant and soap? So many everyday things contain animal products

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I don't use candles, Yes and yes. . You'd be surprised how often I read ingredients of everything I buy. It is an obsession!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    This is the most accurate post in the thread. They are righteous as well, which I cannot stand. Ask them why they are vegan and they will say it's because they don't want animal cruelty. lol, because I do?
    So you ask people a question and then compare them to child molesters for answering your question. Did you expect vegans to lie to you to make you feel better?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I don't use candles, Yes and yes. . You'd be surprised how often I read ingredients of everything I buy. It is an obsession!
    Is it still an obsession? Or is it just a habit for new products, as once you know something is vegan how many times do you really need to read the ingredients?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    “As long as Man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings, he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.”
    ― Pythagoras

Who agrees? When I see a meat eater, I can see savage backwards human beings who haven't left their caves yet. How can humans expect there to be world peace when we butcher each other, animals, and destroy our planet?

If everyone understood veganism, they would understand the importance of caring about all life, not just human life. Only then can we strive for world peace. Pythagoras was millennia ahead of his time. What a legend!
    Tell us more about how humanity is a herbivorous species, and about how all carnivorous or other omnivorous species are "ruthless destroyers" that do not know "health or peace" and "kill each other" because if it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Is it still an obsession? Or is it just a habit for new products, as once you know something is vegan how many times do you really need to read the ingredients?
    When i'm looking for new items I always read the ingredients. When I have read the ingredients before, and I know they are vegan, I don't read the ingredients again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Tell us more about how humanity is a herbivorous species, and about how all carnivorous or other omnivorous species are "ruthless destroyers" that do not know "health or peace" and "kill each other" because if it?
    Read the previous 9 pages first :pierre: I don't like repeating myself for lazy people.

ReputationRep:
    And I can't say I'm a fan of reading 9 pages of the ramblings of a lunatic
    Then don't ask a 'lunatic' for their explanation in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer4life)
    This is my viewpoint as a vegan: Even if I had a neighbor who looked after chickens and loved them and didn't eat them, only used them for eggs, I STILL wouldn't buy eggs from them.
    1. After being a vegan for ethical reasons, I discovered how healthy being veganism is. Eggs are full of cholesterol and fat - what person who cares about their health is going to eat them?
    2. Eggs are essentially chicken menstruations - unfertilised waste. Thats enough to put me off.
    3. Everyone owning backyard chickens and free-range farms isn't sustainable - its how we started before getting to factory farms - watch the documentary Cowspiracy to find out more about this.
    I tried veganism and became so vitamin D and B12 deficient that I now have lifelong bone and tendon problems. It had started when I became vegetarian as I ate no fish and little dairy, but exercise + veganism destroyed my hands. It will probably never get better, and I can never do high impact exercise again which means I'll probably become fat as I get older. I really really regret it.

It isn't healthy for everyone unfortunately. Specially those of us who have *******sed up joints to begin with.

And before you start on balanced diets vitamin supplemented food is really expensive, and impractical to source depending on where you live.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that you don't understand some key concepts so I'll let you know which ones:
    Moral agent-Being that can deliberate on what is or is not moral.
    Moral subject-Being that is the subject of morality. The beings we consider when we think about the moral implications of our choices.
    Herbivore-Being that is only capable of sustaining it's health/life without animals (plant based diet).
    Carnivore-Being that is only capable of sustaining it's health/life with animals (animal based diet).
    Omnivore-Being that can sustain it's health/life with any mix of plants and/or animals (can be either plant or animal based, or a mix).
    The above words are descriptions. It is noted what they can and can't do, but not what they ought to do).

I hope this clears up some of your ignorance and helps you to understand how the terms are used.

This may also help:
    Whilst science contains descriptions (what is there? What is it like?) morality contains prescriptions (what actions/behaviors ought we engage in. How should we act).

ReputationRep:
    And I can't say I'm a fan of reading 9 pages of the ramblings of a lunatic
    Confirmation bias is such a wonderful thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I tried veganism and became so vitamin D and B12 deficient that I now have lifelong bone and tendon problems. It had started when I became vegetarian as I ate no fish and little dairy, but exercise + veganism destroyed my hands. It will probably never get better, and I can never do high impact exercise again which means I'll probably become fat as I get older. I really really regret it.

It isn't healthy for everyone unfortunately. Specially those of us who have *******sed up joints to begin with.

And before you start on balanced diets vitamin supplemented food is really expensive, and impractical to source depending on where you live.
    Unsure on B12, But Vit D3 is really cheap and you can get some good, high quality stuff.

I'm sorry to hear about joint issues. Rowing is very low impact, but can be tough on joints if you train hard. In terms of being overweight in the future, that can easily be avoided. Swimming?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.