Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with Same-sex Marriage?
    Yes!
    77.34%
    NO!!!
    22.66%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematicus65)
    I agree with you too! Some people who make the God-Science argument truly are uneducated. Many of those who graduate from the worlds leading universities such as oxford, Cambridge and Harvard have religious tendencies, and someone, whom myself am hoping to study geology at the university of oxford, uphold my Christian beliefs 100%. Some people seem to suggest a correlation between being uneducated and being religious which to me is extremely bizzare. It is nice to see someone sticking up for what they believe in, I am sick and tired of these leftists who believe that everyone who disagrees with homosexual marriage is sick in the head, and homophobic because both of these are crazy notions. We live in a Christian country, people should respect the religious beliefs of this country's inhabitants. Whether a minority or not, this is a Christian derived nation and our religious tendencies should not be altered. If one was to try and change religious ceremonies and beliefs with regards to a religion other than Christianity there would be uproar, but dictating what Christians can and cannot do is absolutely justifiable according to most people on here
    What is 'Christian' about our country? Believing homosexuality is wrong purely because that's what the Holy Book says to me, is offensive. This is the problem with these Ancient Textbooks. They can't be updated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busterposey)
    I too support same sex marriage and am opposed to bigotry, but I am equally opposed to people like you who (rightfully) denounce anti-gay bigotry whilst practising anti-Christian bigotry.

Your analysis of Christianity is narrow-minded and incorrect.The Christian Church feeds the hungry, shelters the homeless, advocates for the oppressed and stands up to those who do evil. This isn't just a matter of opinion, this is fact, the Church does all these things and more. You may well dislike bits of it (I do too), you may think the whole God thing is nonsense. but you need to treat your opponents fairly.

Gay marriage is supposed to be about acceptance, not switching one form of bigotry for another. Sort yourself out.
    You forgot to mention the fact they house cover up for pedophiles and spread stupidity such as condoms dont stop AIDS. Anybody who says something like that should be chained to a crucifix and left to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    It's because I'm just too darn popular and you've repped me too recently
    Ooohh get you Ms popular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    It doesn't harm anyone, Love is love and it is taking away rights from the LGBT community.
    Are you the new NathanAllen?

(Original post by KingBradly)
    I completely support same-sex marriage but in one respect it's a shame that it was was legalized. Christianity doesn't except homosexuality, full stop. It is a backwards, outdated, incredibly stupid religion that should just be left to die out, rather than adapted to suit the modern world.
    P.S. Marriage is a separate entity from Christianity (pre-dates it even), if you didn't know.

(Original post by footygirlx)
    I dont think the government should force the church to do anything they dont want to, why would you want go get married into an institution that hates you. But i do think we should have it who cares anyway its 2015.

I know but what can we do about that.
    #JustSaying
    - Marriage is a separate entity from Christianity (pre-dates it even)
    - Marriage offers reduced taxes.
    - Marriage grants better hospital visitation rights to your partner.
    - (That's why the previous no-no to same-sex marriage was institutionalised discrimination.)
    - Marriage is a milestone in many relationships, and is an intrinsic part of our society.

But yes, pro-conscience dictates that the individual priest or priestesses should be able to refuse to perform the ceremony. (That should be fine, considering that they aren't required to legally bind them, and there'll in all likelihood be other priests/priestesses who will carry out the deed.)

(Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Same-sex marriage should be on par with different-sex marriage. The genders of the two participants should be irrelevant.

As for whether religions should be forced into performing. I am in favour of individuals having a degree of autonomy in their own institutions. If a religious institution does decide not to permit them, or refuse to perform them, any special status they have should be revoked (and potentially have a special tax levied against them)
    ditto

It should be just marriage.

(Though I do disagree with the special tax that would be levied against them.)

(Original post by elliemayxo)
    No, I don't agree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because...

(Original post by elliemayxo)
    Because I think marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't want to spam, so do you mind reading what I said to @footygirlx (whose name I can't seem to @ properly.)

(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Just to flip the question - what are people's stances on the right of hetrosexual couples to get civil partnerships?
    :laugh: That's great.
    Yep, they should be able to get them.
    (Perhaps a dissolution of civil partnerships.)

(Original post by footygirlx)
    She's allowed to have an opinion.
    TheonlyMrsHolmes wasn't infringing on elliemayxo's freedom of speech, so no need to potentially imply it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m3m)
    Don't like it, it IS wrong but people can do whatever they want to do. I don't really care...as long as it doesn't involve me...
    Dw I will convert u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Ooohh get you Ms popular
    Can't help it if I'm fabulous, I just am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    They should be allowed if they want to
    I thought they already do?? I.e het couples who aren't religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    You forgot to mention the fact they house cover up for pedophiles and spread stupidity such as condoms dont stop AIDS. Anybody who says something like that should be chained to a crucifix and left to die.
    My memory escapes me, but didn't you very recently claim you are a moral individual?

You are so blunt. I love you.

(My love means absolutely nothing btw I throw around that word too much but it's a nice sentiment)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Just like elliemayxo
    "I believe this because it says so in the bible"

"I find it offensive that you just presume I'm religious"

ReputationRep:
    Dw I will convert u
    Stop :erm: :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)

That's perfect! Thankyou for the laugh, if only I could rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    My memory escapes me, but didn't you very recently claim you are a moral individual?
    I am. Which is why I want to get rid of people who spread lies such as condoms don't stop STD's. I want to save all the brain dead people who will listen to those lies, not use a condom and then die of AIDS. I am a saviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)

or " I believe this because it says it in the bible" and "no I don't agree with those things even though they are in the bible".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    The bible's new testament never explicitly states that homosexuality is immoral.
    This is totally incorrect. In Romans, homosexuality is referred to as "a shameful act" and an "abandonment of natural relations". In Jude homosexuality is defined as "immorality and perversion" . It also says in Romans that "homosexuality carries a due penalty" when it comes to inheriting the Kingdom of God. This is just the few I can think of currently. Homosexuality is a sin in both the new and old testaments, however admittedly language is softened in the former. Only flat-earthers could deny that the bible preaches homosexuality to be sinful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m3m)
    Stop :erm: :facepalm:
    That's what every girl tells me before the big O but they dont mean it

ReputationRep:
    that's what every girl tells me before the big o but they dont mean it
    ughhh I can't reppppp

ReputationRep:
    That's what every girl tells me before the big O but they dont mean it
    You're on form tonight. I wish we could be friends but you would definitely ****block me and steal all the fit girls.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree with same sex marriage. Though I do think religious institutes, regardless of how backwards and archaic they are should be allowed to practice their religion and refuse to marry same sex couples (which is how it currently is). But I don't think there should be any debate whatsoever about same sex marriages being allowed outside of religion and through the state, there is no reason whatsoever this shouldn't be allowed. And anyone who says "gay marriage ruins it for the rest of us" clearly has their own issues. What someone else does with their lives in no way impedes on yours. And it's a pathetic outburst from homophobes.

Edit:

For anyone who is confused on where I personally believe we should draw the line on what religions should be allowed to do or what they should be allowed to deny. Here is my response to another user:

Perhaps I should have been clearer in what I think religious institutes should be allowed to deny or do. I think religious institutes should be allowed to deny or do things so long as they do not harm or take away the human rights of another person. And this should only be allowed on religious properties or religious ceremonies that are in no way state owned or funded.

Though I think organised religion is backward and wrong (for a number of reasons), I also believe forcing people to change their religion (unless it harms or infringes on the rights of others) to be wrong.
    100% agree with literally every word you said. Nailed it 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    That's perfect! Thankyou for the laugh, if only I could rep
    Glad you liked it.

or " I believe this because it says it in the bible" and "no I don't agree with those things even though they are in the bible".
    Yeah that as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle1198)
    100% agree with literally every word you said. Nailed it 😊
    Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.