Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eigo-Jin)
    Believe me, there are people out there that will get offended if you state a preference on just about anything. There are 7.2 billion of us after all.
    But those people are SUCH a minority they're insignificant to the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    I was talking at you, not to you and I'm not your 'mate', lololol. You're just a typical heterosexual bigoted male
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    Continue to display your immaturity, surely you are only embarrassing yourself
    Fully on ivybridge's side here.

iAre Teh Lejend, you're just brushing off his points and blindly throwing offences without stopping to consider that you are, in fact, in the wrong here. You're of the same mindset of "I don't like it therefore nobody should do it" that's one of the serious problems with a large proportion of society.

Grow up, and accept that gay intimacy is not a social taboo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Yeah but therein lies the hypocrisy. Two women kissing is just as gay as two guys kissing, but many men seem to be absolutely fine with the former, so obviously 'gayness' is not the problem here, it's being able to view such people as sexual objects. We do that with women as straight guys, not so much with men. This means we won't be turned on by them kissing, however to go a step further and find it sickening comes from something else entirely. It comes from the cultural norms surrounding men and us expected to be 'straight' and macho etc. Our self-worth is seemingly tied in with being a playaaa and attracting women, as well as being good in bed. How many times have you heard gay guys considered 'not real men' or 'pussies' or 'sissies' or 'nancy boys'? This is where such aversion comes from, where it's only designated toward two men and not two women. I mean, why not explore that? Why be fine with that conditioned feeling of aversion? Opening your mind to it all and finding the root causes would be beneficial I think. Just some advice.
    You just won this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Fully on ivybridge's side here.

iAre Teh Lejend, you're just brushing off his points and blindly throwing offences without stopping to consider that you are, in fact, in the wrong here.
    You're of the same mindset of "I don't like it therefore nobody should do it" that's one of the serious problems with a large proportion of society.
    Grow up, and accept that gay intimacy is not a social taboo.
    Have you read my posts to say that ? I guess you haven't. My post was directed at TheOnlyMrsHolmes , and after a debate I have said I respect her decision, and she respects mine.

The reason I am no longer answering to ivybridge is because he was smack talking me and being a great bigot. Where have I thrown offenses ? Literally no where.

And my thread isn't about gay intimacy being a social taboo, it's about the act of changing your avatar and spamming gifs of homosexuality, is immature, and should not be done to show support for what is meant to be a good cause.

ReputationRep:
    I did not say it's fine to display pictures of females kissing to support homosexuality. If you read back on my post, I speaking from a neutral perspective. Your going off topic now. Read my OP again.
    Yes but you yourself would not have a problem with it since it doesn't sicken you right? I'm just talking about how you'd see such couples here. The whole reason you want them taken down is because you find them distasteful (gay male couples kissing) and do not want to see them. Of course you also talked about religious and 'moral' reasoning but that seemed secondary to you feeling sick about it.

All I'm saying is just open your mind to it, though it's just advice. Do as you will.

ReputationRep:
    You just won this thread
    Didn't he just!

:nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan:

ReputationRep:
    Have you read my posts to say that ? I guess you haven't. My post was directed at TheOnlyMrsHolmes , and after a debate I have said I respect her decision, and she respects mine.

The reason I am no longer answering to ivybridge is because he was smack talking me and being a great bigot. Where have I thrown offenses ? Literally no where.
    Actually I find it offensive that you completely insult my intelligence by trying to say you're far from everything you go on to prove you are :lol:. That is the only reason I am short and sharp with you because you are just spouting complete and utter crap and rejecting the most rational points.

ReputationRep:
    Would you complain if their profile pictures depicted a man and a woman kissing?

Also, a side note: if you have to rationalise your statement by saying 'I'm not homophobic', then the statement was most likely homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I find it offensive that you completely insult my intelligence by trying to say you're far from everything you go on to prove you are :lol:. That is the only reason I am short and sharp with you because you are just spouting complete and utter crap and rejecting the most rational points.
    I have not rejected a single point. I have been the most considerate and open minded person on this thread, alongside the person my thread was aimed at. Both of whom have closed the debate and shown mutual respect to each other.

All I have done is stated how I feel, and my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    I respect that people can have opinions, and their right to hold them sure, but that does not mean I respect the opinions themselves. I find racism and homophobia as well as other types of discrimination absolutely deplorable. Persecution is the wrong word as it's systematic mistreatment of an individual/group by another individual/group. It's more akin to oppression tbh, so that would be hyperbole. I'm sorry but a racist or homophobe will be judged for expressing THEIR OWN persecution at others. What we judge and condemn here is the unjust persecution itself, and by extension the morals of the person, rather than just blindly attacking the person.

Noone is advocating harrassment... I don't see where you got that from, the word was not even mentioned.

You don't have to respect anyone's opinion but similarly, don't be insulted when someone disrespects yours. Also, I wouldn't rely on the state's judgement on what is "right" and "wrong". 100 years ago, the state was saying it was a-ok to kill a black person for being black. The government is led by different people who have different opinions, whose opinion is influence by societal norms.

What is just? What is unjust? It constantly changes along with the social norms. I also don't believe there's a clear cut between the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Would you complain if their profile pictures depicted a man and a woman kissing?

Also, a side note: if you have to rationalise your statement by saying 'I'm not homophobic', then the statement was most likely homophobic.
    I stated I'm not homophobic to avoid people assuming I am. I did not explain how I am not homophobic in the OP because it is irrelevant to the thread. Don't make false accusations based on assumptions.

If I saw a sudden rise in avatars displaying a man and a woman kissing, I would make the same thread.

ReputationRep:
    But those people are SUCH a minority they're insignificant to the point.
    Dear God, did you marginalise a minority?! You are SO oppressive!!

It's funny because homosexuals are a minority, you know. Are they insignificant?

ReputationRep:

It's funny because homosexuals are a minority, you know. Are they insignificant?
    Do not debate with bigots, they will only insult your intelligence.

ReputationRep:

You took that completely out of context. I mean that they are insignificant, as I stated, to the POINT you are making, not insignificant in general. And they are not a 'minority' in the same way groups are on the basis of race and or sexual orientation.

If you're going to start de-contextualising everything I say for your own ends, then don't bother trying to speak to me about this issue.

ReputationRep:
    Do not debate with bigots, they will only insult your intelligence.
    You are calling me immature yet branding me a bigot to everyone else who speaks to you about the issue when they're not relating anything to me at all. I'm not a bigot, you are. You proved thus whereas I did not.

ReputationRep:
    You are calling me immature yet branding me a bigot to everyone else who speaks to you about the issue when they're not relating anything to me at all. I'm not a bigot, you are. You proved thus whereas I did not.
    I am branding you what you are. You are a bigot, a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions. If you do not wish to be branded a bigot, then change your tolerance.

ReputationRep:
    And my thread isn't about gay intimacy being a social taboo, it's about the act of changing your avatar and spamming gifs of homosexuality, is immature, and should not be done to show support for what is meant to be a good cause.
    Most of what's on the internet is immature if you can't deal with it, just switch off that glowing box in front of you.

Anyway, homosexuality shouldn't be considered a 'cause' as if it's some kind of charity case. People posting any other kind of intimate gifs would not be considered to be doing so on behalf of heterosexuality! C'mon.

ReputationRep:
    I am branding you what you are. You are a bigot, a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions. If you do not wish to be branded a bigot, then change your tolerance.
    I answered this ****ing obnoxious and ludicrous claim before and you did not respond for you have no answer. Bigotry is marked by an intolerance of someone and their views due to their views alone. I am NOT intolerant of people's views and I am intolerant of you and your bull**** response about finding solely MALE same sex interaction sickening, because you are not presenting a view on it other than your response is natural. If it is "natural" as you claim, then I cannot be bigoted towards it as it is not an opinion.

I am so tolerant of others beliefs. I go to one of the most international sixth form colleges in the United Kingdom with over 85% of students being foreign, and I have classes with seriously anti-gay Russians, Armenians, Ukrainians and so on and so forth. If I was as bigoted and intolerant as you claim, I probably wouldn't have a head on my shoulders any more. My parents are incredibly anti-gay. The same applies to them. I am respectful of people's views but you're completely insulting my intelligence by trying to assume having an aversion to ONLY male same sex interaction is not a result of some kind of prejudice. I do no think that intrinsically makes you homophobic, no, but it makes you something other than what you are claiming to be. It's all bull****.

Furthermore, I understand the impact harmful views have on LGBT people, something you would not understand because you have never had to experience it yet you still think you are in a position to comment on the issue better than someone who has. False.

ReputationRep:
    What is it with the homosexual avatars I see these days ? In my opinion, changing your avatar to display two men kissing, which many find awkward whether they are homophobic or not, is an immature way of showing your support for homosexuality on a public forum.

I am not homophobic, but I do not act like a child to support what is meant to be a good cause.
    Damn this was a fail. I definitely do not want my granddaughters to be arranged with someone this bigoted and immature. Nor presumptuous enough to think this was worth making a thread.

I literally noticed it too when I saw people changed their avs and wondered where it came from. But even someone as obnoxious as me did not make a ****ing thread, dude, DAMN!?

Like I'm actually pissed off at how ignorant this is :facepalm2:
    so goddamn done :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Most of what's on the internet is immature if you can't deal with it, just switch off that glowing box in front of you.

Anyway, homosexuality shouldn't be considered a 'cause' as if it's some kind of charity case. People posting any other kind of intimate gifs would not be considered to be doing so on behalf of heterosexuality! C'mon.
    With all due respect, I think you are misunderstanding a lot of what I am saying

Homosexuality is not a cause, but supporting homosexuality is a cause, that is the cause I was referring to.

You are right, easiest way to deal with it to switch off the glowing box. But people posting gifs on a debate thread, is immature. If it was a homosexual appreciation thread, so be it, good on them. This thread is not the right place for that though.

By the way is your avatar from an anime ?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.