Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the legacy papers are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thad33)
    Anyone know what the legacy papers are?
    From what I've heard, they're like the past papers from the O-levels or something, the one that came before A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    From what I've heard, they're like the past papers from the O-levels or something, the one that came before A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it was something like that. Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgottenApple)
    Thread is in considered complete. Comment if a link is broken and I'll fix it asap; ask any questions and I'll reply with help.

Hi I am ForgottenApple, I recently finish A Levels with results: (A*A*A* Maths, Physics & Chemistry). This thread is to help you achieve a similar set of results. I created these resources for myself in my A-Level year and have brought them up into a good enough order to help other people out. This thread is a chemistry counterpart to a new thread I've made this year for Chemistry and incorporates all but the practical element of the OCR Chemistry A Level course (to be revised in 2015) but nonetheless there is a full year of students who can benefit from these resources and any students who opt to resit thereafter.

Most notes I wrote last year, as well as the standard answers being made by me (idea from my college), definitions lists, legacy resources/past papers/bonus questions tend to be lifted :P

Link to physics thread
    Unlike the physics thread
    I'm going to sort of build this as I go so it may not be complete for a month-ish

Important Links
    Physics and maths tutor: Includes extra past papers from other exam boards, and the extremely useful questions by topic
    A Level Chemistry Website, mostly older spec past papers, and questions with solutions!
    Memrise - Excellent for rote learning definitions, equations and reactions (Good iOS and Android App!)

F321
    Definitions
    Standard Answers

F322
    Definitions
    Standard Answers

F324
    ah organic chemistry, I decided to go with a unique 'on a page' model for this unit, inspired by maths which condensed units down to a single page. I'm going to release a PDF version of this, so you can print out pages as required
    Interactive Definitions
    Interactive Important Reactions and Conditions
    Full PDF of on a page
    Standard answers compiled from all legacy and current specification
    Legacy Past Papers

F325
    Interactive Definitions
    Notes
    Standard Answers compiled from all legacy and current specification
    Legacy Past Papers & This
    Past Paper Spreadsheet Excel Template

Good Post from pp. 2
    wheres definitions

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was something like that. Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's just the old specification. Next year when the new specification starts the current papers will be legacy papers to that.

ReputationRep:
    It's just the old specification. Next year when the new specification starts the current papers will be legacy papers to that.
    I'll have a go at them later on in the year. They're quite difficult to organise though, they're all over the place with relevant questions.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a go at them later on in the year. They're quite difficult to organise though, they're all over the place with relevant questions.
    My advice is just do it all. Learn more chemistry. A lot of the time it's simply another means to the same end.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is just do it all. Learn more chemistry. A lot of the time it's simply another means to the same end.
    I like that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LThomas694)
    Alright thank you I guess that's all you can do eh, I'm pretty sure I dropped 3 marks last time because my precipitate got stuck to the side of the tube and didn't dissolve... just gotta make sure that doesn't happen again ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ahh nooo, I just think 'if I can't see through it, it's a precipitate' haha. Hope it went well and if you haven't done it yet, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    ahh nooo, I just think 'if I can't see through it, it's a precipitate' haha. Hope it went well and if you haven't done it yet, good luck!
    The practical exams are just unpredictable.

ReputationRep:
    The practical exams are just unpredictable.
    Tell me about it, especially with biology

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, especially with biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think they're a good way to assess students because some centres cheat and inflate the boundaries.

In AS I lost the majority of my marks in the practicals.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they're a good way to assess students because some centres cheat and inflate the boundaries.

This is so true, the grade boundaries are really messed up as a result. I think it's one of the reasons why they're scrapping this current a level and making a new one

ReputationRep:
    Ahah good advice thank you it's first lesson back after the holiday so I'm just gonna learn the reactions inside out n hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm new to this, I'm currently in year 12 going to sit my AS Level in Chemistry in May and I'm really struggling with the maths parts of my revision and was hoping someone could help me?Question I have is:-"The student adds a lump of limestone with mass 0.13 g to 25.00 cm3 of 0.1 mol dm -3 hydrochloric acid and stirs until the reaction is finished, the solution is then filtered. The excess acid in the filtered solution reacts with 7cm3 of 0.1 mol dm -3 sodium hydroxide. The equations for the reactions are CaCO3 + 2HCl --> Ca Cl2 + CO2 + H2OHCl + NaOH -->NaCl + H2OCalculate the percentage of calcium carbonate in the limestone."

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
    Rob

ReputationRep:
    x
    I saw you put memrise in your original post and I've just downloaded it, but does it actually work? I went through a couple of questions and I'm not so sure if it tests recognition or recall. Have you personally used it? And what is the best way to use it?

ReputationRep:

My coursework was originally 32/40 beforr moderation, shot down to 24/60 UMS, 24 was needed to get an E. Made me miss my A grade at AS. Some schools literally cheat, not give hints but absolutely cheat. And the mark scheme must be a joke or my teachers cannot mark at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My coursework was originally 32/40 beforr moderation, shot down to 24/60 UMS, 24 was needed to get an E. Made me miss my A grade at AS. Some schools literally cheat, not give hints but absolutely cheat. And the mark scheme must be a joke or my teachers cannot mark at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's awful I would be so pissed off! So glad they're changing it after this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yesitisi)
    I saw you put memrise in your original post and I've just downloaded it, but does it actually work? I went through a couple of questions and I'm not so sure if it tests recognition or recall. Have you personally used it? And what is the best way to use it?
    I found it helped me. Repetition is key and you'll recall it. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LThomas694)
    That's awful I would be so pissed off! So glad they're changing it after this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really was! But I was happy with my B grade to be honest like it could have been a lot worse haha, would have been nice to have an A though. Same! Like although doing an a-level science it would be good to be encouraged to do practical skills rather than learn out of a book but it's a flawed system

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.