Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Capital Punishment; The Question watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should capital punishment be integrated into UK law?
    Yes
    30.72%
    No
    69.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    In the first episode of the first season of Game of Thrones, the incredibly noble and honourable Eddard Stark cut off a mans head for deserting the Night's Watch as he did not believe the mans story about the White Walkers. It turned out the man was telling the truth, and if they had listened to his warning, they could have prepared for when they eventually came and saved thousands of lives. If this can happen to the great Eddard Stark, then I have no doubt it can also happen within our corrupt justice system.

I'd also recommend not trying to negotiate with the savages North of Hadrian's Wall, it's only going to end up with you being stabbed by your brothers. But that is a story for another day.
    YOUR AN ******** with capital letters

ReputationRep:
    Let the victims families decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigdobber)
    Yes, lets introduce a system where beating somebody up would probably end up with you being killed!

ReputationRep:
    undecided. Cant remember where in the thread I saw it but someone said only in the case of someone pleading guilty to serial murder or something similar. Whilst that could work, I imagine very few people would be willing to plead guilty knowing they were possibly going to be executed, but that they couldn't be if they pleaded innocent.

ReputationRep:
    The victim's family are the last people who should have a say. They're clouded by emotion.

ReputationRep:
    YOUR AN ******** with capital letters
    what seems to be the problem good sir?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    And what evidence do you have that the death penalty achieves anything? It's pretty clearly prima facie a terrible result to me because the offender has to be taken into account too.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061100406.html

http://dailysignal.com/2014/10/04/ca...-deters-crime/

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articl...eterring-crime

Here are just a few articles which agree with the statement that CP reduces crime and saves lives. There are of course studies that the articles reference that can be used as evidence.

Of course I accept that there is disagreement as to how far it prevents crime, and that there are even studies which say otherwise. Preventing crime is a complex issue and it is silly just to say that introducing CP will reduce it significantly, but even if it prevents a significant number of murders, than it serves its purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061100406.html

http://dailysignal.com/2014/10/04/ca...-deters-crime/

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articl...eterring-crime

Here are just a few articles which agree with the statement that CP reduces crime and saves lives. There are of course studies that the articles reference that can be used as evidence.

Of course I accept that there is disagreement as to how far it prevents crime, and that there are even studies which say otherwise. Preventing crime is a complex issue and it is silly just to say that introducing CP will reduce it significantly, but even if it prevents a significant number of murders, than it serves its purpose.
    You say it 'serves its purpose' - if this means you've demonstrated something good about it, sure (if we accept your premises), but that doesn't show that we should reintroduce it - you've got to show that the positives outweigh the huge huge huge negatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    If it's so unacceptable then where is the massive campaign to stop it that is sweeping the nation?
    humans are largely identified with ego and therefore are concerned primarily with ourselves and our own lives. when someone goes through something traumatic, such as their relative getting cancer, they suddenly awaken to the fact that cancer is unfortunate and should be worked on. if someone's dog was put to sleep for hurting another person, that someone would likely campaign to stop animal euthanasia

ReputationRep:
    Studies show that societies that have capital punishment have historically been more violent than those that do not. Capital punishment is the mark of a cruel, vengeful society, not one focused on rehabilitation.

In the US, capital punishment actually costs more money than simply locking the prisoners away for life, due to various reasons (legal challenges taking up time; the added premium on even more stringent security etc.).

Not being 100% sure of a person's guilt is certainly a prime reason I am opposed, but even if we could be certain, executing a few people presents a completely undesirable image of society.

Another is that, again in the US, it is known that poorer people are disproportionately more likely to be executed even compared to conviction rates, as well as people with lower levels of intelligence, and people from ethnic minorities. This again gives a very negative image about the state of your society.

I'm not saying that rehabilitation is possible in the very worst cases (basically those where you would never want the person to walk amongst civilised society ever again), but rehabilitation has been shown to be more cost-effective than imprisonment, and general imprisonment more cost-effective than capital punishment. If you can have your judicial system be both cost-effective AND morally sound, while at the same time leading to lower rates of crime and reformed criminals, I would have thought it would be an obvious winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    what seems to be the problem good sir?
    Northerners are the salt and brains of the earth and I'm not a SIR

ReputationRep:
    Totally against it!

For what crimes would it be in place for? All of them? Or just the 'serious' crimes like murder?
    Think about the number of people who are wrongly convicted each year, who pays the price for killing them? Its a vicious cycle that has no end. Every crime has a victim and so who says which victim is most deserving of the criminal who effected them being sentenced to death?
    And plus, what about all these Ceo's, corporate bosses, and politicians committing blue collar crime? I think that's a pretty serious issue that needs tackled but of course you wouldn't see them being sentenced to death for the crimes they have committed. Is it fair to have someone put to death when they have been wrongly convicted (or framed) while these people walk away unscathed after a shoudy court case having committed actual crimes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachwright26)
    Totally against it!

For what crimes would it be in place for? All of them? Or just the 'serious' crimes like murder?
    Think about the number of people who are wrongly convicted each year, who pays the price for killing them? Its a vicious cycle that has no end. Every crime has a victim and so who says which victim is most deserving of the criminal who effected them being sentenced to death?
    And plus, what about all these Ceo's, corporate bosses, and politicians committing blue collar crime? I think that's a pretty serious issue that needs tackled but of course you wouldn't see them being sentenced to death for the crimes they have committed. Is it fair to have someone put to death when they have been wrongly convicted (or framed) while these people walk away unscathed after a shoudy court case having committed actual crimes?
    Should we do away with the judiciary system is murder not an actual crime are u saying money is the root of all evil you can't bring back a dead person but you can make more money
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes: 47
    No: 106

TSR users have voted against the introduction of capital punishment.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.