Turn on thread page Beta

I'm a feminist, ask me anything! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsLyanna)
    Actually, a large part of English Literature is about feminist theories. I was interested in it because of that.
    :lol: So Feminism conditioned you?

Oh the ****ign irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePrick)
    Why do you waste your time with this? Are you not good looking? Instead of writing pro-feminist articles you could be on a beach in Cancun.
    I'd rather not be in Cancún, lmao.

ReputationRep:
    But why is there a difference in education? Why is there a difference in experience?
    Personal choice.
    I can admit that there are social factors, however, these are not inherent in society. Just ignore them and you will fine. The same reason why you are doing english and not politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blue Axolotl)
    :lol: So Feminism conditioned you?

Oh the ****ign irony.
    I mean, perhaps, but really I've been interested in English Literature since before I was a feminist.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, perhaps, but really I've been interested in English Literature since before I was a feminist.
    Actually, a large part of English Literature is about feminist theories. I was interested in it because of that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Because men, for example, are dominant in government. It's bad, because it's not representative.
    Not 'representative' in what way? Because parliament is not 50:50 male:female? Why does that matter?

Men are dominant in government because many more men than women attempt to be in government. There is no problem here; it is just the way things are.

The problems only start when you become more focused on the genders of our elected representatives than their merit and the uninterrupted passage of democracy and introduce discriminatory filters like all-women's shortlists which bar half the population from standing for election in certain constituencies because of their gender and give women a patronising leg-up which they do not need, and all for the purpose of engineering an artificial, completely meaningless increase of the proportion of female MPs based on a puerile obsession with creating a perfectly symmetrical equality of outcome between the genders at the expense of other far more worthy considerations.

It is precisely this sort of mainstream feminist thinking which repels so many people from the movement and gives them reason to believe that it is ultimately a malignant influence on society. It's not because of one angry redhead who wants to put men in camps; it's because of the thousands upon thousands of students, journalists and MPs who think like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    Not 'representative' in what way? Because parliament is not 50:50 male:female? Why does that matter?

Men are dominant in government because many more men than women attempt to be in government. There is no problem here; it is just the way things are.

The problems only start when you become more focused on the genders of our elected representatives than their merit and the uninterrupted passage of democracy and introduce discriminatory filters like all-women's shortlists which bar half the population from standing for election in certain constituencies because of their gender and give women a patronising leg-up which they do not need, and all for the purpose of engineering an artificial, completely meaninfgless increase of the proportion of female MPs based on a puerile obsession with creating a perfectly symmetrical equality of outcome between the genders at the expense of other far more worthy considerations.

It is precisely this sort of mainstream feminist thinking which repels so many people from the movement and gives them reason to believe that it is ultimately a malignant influence on society. It's not because of one angry red-head who wants to put men in camps; it's because of the thousands upon thousands of students, journalists and MPs who think like this.
    Hear! Hear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    This is due to social conditioning, as part of the patriarchy. It is an issue. Are you telling me that women inherently want to have less power than men?

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all - I'm bored and would like to see what the general perception of feminism is on here. Ask away! ^^
    What do you charge for a 2 hour in-call?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    What do you charge for a 2 hour in-call?
    You have to pledge yourself to the Fempire.

ReputationRep:
    This is due to social conditioning, as part of the patriarchy. It is an issue. Are you telling me that women inherently want to have less power than men?
    It has absolute nothing to do with that.

It has everything to do with the fact that women and men are inheritently DIFFERENT.

Both sexes choose different paths in life and, in the West, that has nothing to with some imaginary force pressurising them in to doing so.

This is exactly why I would never date a Feminist.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could respond to the rest of my post.

This is due to social conditioning, as part of the patriarchy.
    Your evidence? What 'social conditioning'?

Are you telling me that women inherently want to have less power than men?
    It is self-evident that a smaller proportion of them desire to be MPs when a smaller proportion of them attempt to be MPs.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's absolutely disgusting for a woman to say that. Her career may have been directly affected by assumptions like that, and so her saying it is remarkably ignorant.
    Why is it disgusting? Everything she has said is true, a lot of it shouldn't be, but unfortunately right now it is.

The fact of the matter is that in certain career paths it is more difficult for a woman to achieve the same level of success than an equally skilled man would. It is also a reality that in a lot of careers it is exceedingly difficult for a woman to have a family while maintaining her career, and if she chooses to have a family then she will put herself in a position where she makes it even more difficult for her to advance within her work, and makes herself a less desirable employee than somebody who can dedicate their life to work rather than having to balance work & family.

Telling girls that they can easily have a family and a high ranking career is nothing more than a lie. Yes it is possible, but it's certainly not easy, and for the vast majority of women they are not going to be enough of a standout within their workplace to enable them to have a family without it having any impact on their career.

ReputationRep:
    Because men, for example, are dominant in government. It's bad, because it's not representative.
    Do you honestly believe that there not being a 50/50 gender split within Government is indicative of widespread sexism?

There are more white than black police officers. Is that not due to the fact that there are more white people than black who apply to the police?

There are more white students at Oxford & Cambridge than there are blacks. Is that not due to the fact that there are more white than black applicants?

There are more men than women working in STEM fields. Is that not because there are more men applying to study STEM subjects at University?

Even if the numbers of male and female applicants to any position were identical, that wouldn't guarantee that there would be a 50/50 split in that role, because an equal split in applicants doesn't in any way mean that there is an equal number of equally capable men and women.

Case in point, my family business recently hired a new manager. We had 8 applicants for the role, 7 women & 1 man. We hired the man. It wasn't because he was a man, it was because he was the best fit for the job, had the most relevant experience, was the most personable, and interviewed the best. Is that us being sexist because we overlooked so many women and gave the position to the only male applicant? No it's not, but a hell of a lot of feminists would say that it was.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say yes, they can.

In my opinion, yes, we should. It's abundantly clear that people of different demographics experience varying levels of oppression. And no, I don't think normal feminism does that.

I'm not really too knowledgeable on that.
    Well basically they are quite a radical feminist group, they went into a muslim conference being held in Europe (the subject was wife beating) and they wen't on to stage topless and after they were beaten and kicked off the stage. Look it up on youtube. Then do tell me your opinion, I'll tell you mine too.

ReputationRep:
    Social conditioning is only a thing in the minds of those that believe it to be a thing. It's a cheap excuse used by those who have made their own choices but want to blame others for the outcome.

It's like the gender studies graduate who complains that there aren't enough women studying STEM subjects, while she herself chose not to study a STEM subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Well basically they are quite a radical feminist group, they went into a muslim conference being held in Europe (the subject was wife beating) and they wen't on to stage topless and after they were beaten and kicked off the stage. Look it up on youtube. Then do tell me your opinion, I'll tell you mine too.
    Well, I think that was pretty brave of them, but I don't think it's the right way to go about activism.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think that was pretty brave of them, but I don't think it's the right way to go about activism.
    See I think it was, I mean a 'Wife beating conference' ? in Europe? like really...?

I think it was brave and in my honest opinion the way they beat the women after just goes to show how much we need feminism. They could have just let security handle it but the kicked and punched and spit and swore. It was rather disgusting to watch. Also they were all men which was interesting to see, not one woman helped them or went up to beat them too...

Now, what they did wasn't exactly right, but they made a point. Also they touched upon areas(religion) where a lot of feminists seem to skip over.

ReputationRep:
    See I think it was, I mean a 'Wife beating conference' ? in Europe? like really...?

I think it was brave and in my honest opinion the way they beat the women after just goes to show how much we need feminism. They could have just let security handle it but the kicked and punched and spit and swore. It was rather disgusting to watch. Also they were all men which was interesting to see, not one woman helped them or went up to beat them too...

Now, what they did wasn't exactly right, but they made a point. Also they touched upon areas(religion) where a lot of feminists seem to skip over.
    Oh, definitely

ReputationRep:

I think the fact that it was a MUSLIM conference should be pointed out.

This wasn't a "European" conference of sorts, it as a bunch of backward and misogynistic muslims campaigning for wife-beating... no man in the West condones it.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.