Turn on thread page Beta

Nottingham GEM (A101) 2016 Entry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My hope is that I'll scrape into the B group, and that my GAMSAT score of 64 is just enough to pull me through. Having had all rejections so far, it's my last clutch of hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuronerd)
    Almost.

We are split into groups based on interview performance. A, B and C.

Then we are ranked by GAMSAT.

Where GAMSAT is the same, raw interview score is used.

Then offers are given out down the list. A's first, then B's etc.
    So basically, get a good enough GAMSAT for interview, then apply every last drop of yourself towards getting in Group A, and you are almost definitely getting a place at Nottingham?

That's my plan laid out then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What they don't say is how many people roughly get put into A, B, C bands. Although I feel good about the interview as a whole, there were definitely parts I could have done better on - I'm counting on my GAMSAT to save me if I'm in B. But that only works if A doesn't take up most of the offers in the first place.
    Much nail biting as this is my last chance this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomasPassion)
    What they don't say is how many people roughly get put into A, B, C bands. Although I feel good about the interview as a whole, there were definitely parts I could have done better on - I'm counting on my GAMSAT to save me if I'm in B. But that only works if A doesn't take up most of the offers in the first place.
    I don't think they'll have a number of pre-determined places in each group. I think it's just if you're 'Outstanding' you'll be group A and so on. So in theory, there might be nobody in group A, if all the applicants are just 'Very good', or 'Suitable'.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you've done better than you thought but purely out of interest, what's your plan if you don't get in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbg)
    Hi guys, so for those who've had their interviews (without breaking the confidentiality agreement!) how did it go?

I felt positive at the end aside from 1 or 2 tricky stations but since then I've been haunted by my answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I felt like mine went OK, but I then I thought it went OK at SGUL and Swansea, and I've been rejected from both, so...I no longer have any faith in the value of guesstimating how well it went haha. (Plus at Warwick I knew I messed up at least 2/6 stations, which I thought would for sure mean a no, but I'm on the waiting list - my skills of divination have proven absolutely abominable this far.) I've written down the questions privately so that I can try and go over my answers after a bit of a cooling-off period and try to identify what I should've said better (obvs can't share that!), I'm just so glad Notts will be providing some feedback!! Gonna be lapping it up like a dog in a desert if I get four rejections xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HesMedJim)
    I'm sure you've done better than you thought but purely out of interest, what's your plan if you don't get in?
    Here's hoping!
    I'll reapply next year. Having done the interviews once I think I'd find it much easier in a second attempt. The real question is what I would do with the extra year. Apart from shatter into a million pieces. I don't know, actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizenkaLizenka)
    I felt like mine went OK, but I then I thought it went OK at SGUL and Swansea, and I've been rejected from both, so...I no longer have any faith in the value of guesstimating how well it went haha. (Plus at Warwick I knew I messed up at least 2/6 stations, which I thought would for sure mean a no, but I'm on the waiting list - my skills of divination have proven absolutely abominable this far.) I've written down the questions privately so that I can try and go over my answers after a bit of a cooling-off period and try to identify what I should've said better (obvs can't share that!), I'm just so glad Notts will be providing some feedback!! Gonna be lapping it up like a dog in a desert if I get four rejections xD
    I think that it was having one or two bad moments at Warwick that put me out of the running too - most of it went very well, can't imagine it being much better in fact.

Nottingham explicitly say that doing well in one doesn't make up for doing badly in another - because being great at one aspect of medicine doesn't cover up weaknesses in the real world. Although in the real real world this is exactly what happens. I take the point but it's so easy to get off track or just not to hit it off with your interviewer, regardless of what was in your head when you walked into the room.

ReputationRep:
    Dont suppose anyone remembers when offers are sent? I vaugely remember the 18th but not sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuronerd)
    Dont suppose anyone remembers when offers are sent? I vaugely remember the 18th but not sure
    We re supposed to hear by the 18th.. At the interview they said they would send a letter and an email because of the right turn around. I've been counting down the days!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAM_GA)
    We re supposed to hear by the 18th.. At the interview they said they would send a letter and an email because of the right turn around. I've been counting down the days!!
    That's interesting - I asked Sarb when I was there and she said she doesn't send emails because she's not confident the emails get through to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting - I asked Sarb when I was there and she said she doesn't send emails because she's not confident the emails get through to everyone.
    Yeah for our offers last year they were all sent by 2nd class post. Rejections and waiting list people (of which there are 16) get their letters a week before offer holders.

ReputationRep:
    My group was told by sarb that emails were being sent because letters didnt always arrive on time

ReputationRep:
    Think it says in the pack we got we will know by 15th April? And 23rd is offers day right?

ReputationRep:
    Haha I love this game. Oh well better just sit tight then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophia08)
    Think it says in the pack we got we will know by 15th April? And 23rd is offers day right?
    Yeah, the pack we got sent said the 15th, but the piece of paper we got given on the day said the 18th. Wondering if they initially forgot to factor in the bank holiday weekend

ReputationRep:
    Oh i see, my interview is next week
    I'm getting so fed of this whole process, man it's Aprilll!!! Can't wait for the day I log off TSR and never come back. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    Where has it come from that candidates are split into groups A B and C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattedrinker)
    Where has it come from that candidates are split into groups A B and C?
    Candidates are either split into A, B, C or unsuitable. You get an information sheet after your interview.

ReputationRep:
    They actually inform you in the day that you are 'unsuitable'? That's brutal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.