Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    Got rejections from Warwick and Southampton post interview. Applications pulled from Nottingham and Swansea for financial reasons.

Stats:

UKCAT: 775
    GAMSAT: 73
    PhD (maths)
    Master of maths: 1st
    A-levels: 6As
    GCSEs: 7A*, 1A, 2B
    Wow your stats are good so you're interviews must have gone quite bad (not to sound mean) what do you think went wrong? My friend got 2 offers from Southampton and Warwick with not the best grades, but his UKCAT was good (not as good as yours)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo.sat)
    Got 3 post-interview rejections and waiting for the fourth one as that was my worst interview. Gutted because i thought these three actually went well, and none of the uni's give specific feedback so there's no way of knowing what I did wrong in the interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am really sorry to hear this. I hope you get an offer from your last uni!
    If the uni's did not give specific feedback is it like "Many people have applied but...balh balh..."??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicalElleWoods)
    Wow your stats are good so you're interviews must have gone quite bad (not to sound mean) what do you think went wrong? My friend got 2 offers from Southampton and Warwick with not the best grades, but his UKCAT was good (not as good as yours)
    Kind of what I figured that the interviews must have been judged to be really quite bad, especially by Warwick.

Two things spring to mind: a fairly chequered work history despite the qualifications and from other job interviews I can give the impression of not being the professional type to the sort of people that conduct professional interviews. I'm also not a big self-promoter, as I've never had to be.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO St. Andrew's rejection! At least I don't have to choose between it and Bart's now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedic97)
    I am really sorry to hear this. I hope you get an offer from your last uni!
    If the uni's did not give specific feedback is it like "Many people have applied but...balh balh..."??
    Yeah like "oh the standard was really high and they only took the very best of candidates blah blah blah"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rejected from: St Andrews, Manchester, Sheffield (pre-interview), Barts. Only asked Manchester for feedback so far - got very close to cutoff. One of reasons I picked St Andrews was for 50:50 UKCAT:Interview-score selection but they changed it after I applied to not using UKCAT except with same Interview score...

ReputationRep:
    Rejected from Birmingham St Andrews post interview, kings and sheffield pre. What do I do now?? Repeat the whole process again? oh god. What to do now?!
    DocJones what would u do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glennfenix)
    Rejected from Birmingham St Andrews post interview, kings and sheffield pre. What do I do now?? Repeat the whole process again? oh god. What to do now?!
    DocJones what would u do??
    I am doing a gap year... Probably gonna try and get a job or some work experience in a hospital or GP once I finish A2. Do a lot of my hobbies... One year of no responsibilities isn't too bad I suppose

I wouldn't recommend doing another degree or applying to somewhere overseas.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh okay. Im sitting for A2 too this coming may. Gap year is so painful, especially for me, international student. So hard to find work experience here. So if gap year, does it mean we will apply again before October this year?? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glennfenix)
    Ohh okay. Im sitting for A2 too this coming may. Gap year is so painful, especially for me, international student. So hard to find work experience here. So if gap year, does it mean we will apply again before October this year?? Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about finding work experience too much, as long as you already have some and have something to keep yourself busy (ie. hobby, part time job) so you don't freeze if they ask you what you did on your gap year.

Yeah, October 15 deadline again (not sure if it's earlier for international students). I will probably apply to Edinburgh this cycle because I heard they don't have interviews for the most part (unless that only applies to school leaver applicants) and I'm sure my grades, along with another UKCAT, will be better.

ReputationRep:
    Rejection from Imperial (pre interview), UCL and Barts
    Just waiting for Exeter now (Interview was this Monday)
    Really don't want to do the ukcat and bmat again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    I wouldn't worry about finding work experience too much, as long as you already have some and have something to keep yourself busy (ie. hobby, part time job) so you don't freeze if they ask you what you did on your gap year.

Yeah, October 15 deadline again (not sure if it's earlier for international students). I will probably apply to Edinburgh this cycle because I heard they don't have interviews for the most part (unless that only applies to school leaver applicants) and I'm sure my grades, along with another UKCAT, will be better.
    THank you so much for the advices. I will probably do a gap year then. Oh edinburgh does not interview applicants? ok will look into that. Well i just hope that i dont get stuck in this application cycle. Thanks again, probably see u in next round then!

ReputationRep:

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopeful medic97)
    What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?
    A*A*A+(A Gen Stud) predictions from 6As (including Gen studies) at AS-level.
    695 SJT Band 2
    8A*,3A,2B GCSE
    1 year volunteering at a hospice, 2 weeks spent in a children's and large learning hospital shadowing.

I think I was just nervous at interviews to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    A*A*A+(A Gen Stud) predictions from 6As (including Gen studies) at AS-level.
    695 SJT Band 2
    8A*,3A,2B GCSE
    1 year volunteering at a hospice, 2 weeks spent in a children's and large learning hospital shadowing.

I think I was just nervous at interviews to be honest...
    What were your 2 Bs in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopeful medic97)
    What were your 2 Bs in?
    PE and French (which was taken in year 8)

ReputationRep:
    PE and French (which was taken in year 8)
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.15...20Handbook.pdf

That's OK as long as your other10 were sat in the same year.If you r thinking of applying to Edinburgh next year make sure you SJT is 1 and similar or higher ukcat then it will be down to your PS which will have to prob score 6/6 (providing you get your A* at A2.
    It's all in the document anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I just came across this thread and thought I'd join in. I'm a gap year student but I'm retaking some exams too (extenuating circumstances).
    I received 2 rejections - Leeds (academics not strong enough for this year) and Southampton (no idea why, they didnt give feedback).
    BUT i also received 2 offers! From Exeter (interview in Dec offer in Jan) and KCL (interview in Feb offer in March).
    I also received offer from Sheffield for biomed.
    Just need to get the grades now 😄
    Good luck to everyone still waiting!!😆

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo.sat)
    Yeah like "oh the standard was really high and they only took the very best of candidates blah blah blah"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you can get interview feedback in June/July and you can do FOI requests for generalised stats once the cycle is all over -like minimum UCAS points accepted, minimum admissions test score and sometimes they'll say what the weighting was. Have a look on whatdotheyknow.com for previous years stats. Just search A100 or A101 admissions + uni name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
    Rejection from Imperial (pre interview), UCL and Barts
    Just waiting for Exeter now (Interview was this Monday)
    Really don't want to do the ukcat and bmat again
    I don't know of anyone that's got worse in UKCAT, sometimes raw scores drop but when the deciles are published it's a better score in relation to rest of cohort. I hope it's good news for you from Edinburgh though.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.