Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Yeah, the rapes might not be related to the CCP. I'd say it was that women just stopped reporting rape because they were embarrassed. Although I'd say CCPs were the main cause of the other falls in crime rates.
    Well, that doesn't explain falls that drastic, behaviour doesn't change that quickly. But I'd have to see the actual reduction rather than X faster than national average (which was what?).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Well, that doesn't explain falls that drastic, behaviour doesn't change that quickly. But I'd have to see the actual reduction rather than X faster than national average (which was what?).
    I didn't write the study that found them, sorry I can't help more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    I didn't write the study that found them, sorry I can't help more
    Of course, not your fault, but I can't say I find those slightly odd stasitics a good reason to support less stringent gun laws.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Having the public armed works so well in the states...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's absolutely loathsome that people are using these attacks to bring up gun control. Even worse that a minority of the discussion are European.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    It's absolutely loathsome that people are using these attacks to bring up gun control. Even worse that a minority of the discussion are European.
    Is it? Are we allowed to talk about anything or should we remain silent for a few months to be on the safe side, call an end to the parliament but don't bring the election forwards maybe?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Is it? Are we allowed to talk about anything or should we remain silent for a few months to be on the safe side, call an end to the parliament but don't bring the election forwards maybe?
    I'm agreeing with you........................? :eek:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Aye! I was away on an exercise with the ACF all weekend, if they are attacking France; we're geographically the next stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    This is one of the main issues in Europe, censorship. Gun prohibition is one of the greatest mistakes ever made in the UK and is a major infringement on peoples right to defend themselves. We are basically a defenseless civilian population that is fully reliant on authorities for security, we have completely lost all of our freedom to a government bureaucracy. Everything from our education to healthcare is controlled by the government and now we lose our freedom of speech to special interest groups and the political correctness police who dictate speech. The law is simply a means to regulate peoples behavior and has nothing to do with what's right or justice anymore. It's time we took back our freedom to bear arms and defend ourselves from these terrorists/criminals, we can't rely on our underfunded military/police any longer.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ali1302)
    This is one of the main issues in Europe, censorship. Gun prohibition is one of the greatest mistakes ever made in the UK and is a major infringement on peoples right to defend themselves. We are basically a defenseless civilian population that is fully reliant on authorities for security, we have completely lost all of our freedom to a government bureaucracy. Everything from our education to healthcare is controlled by the government and now we lose our freedom of speech to special interest groups and the political correctness police who dictate speech. The law is simply a means to regulate peoples behavior and has nothing to do with what's right or justice anymore. It's time we took back our freedom to bear arms and defend ourselves from these terrorists/criminals, we can't rely on our underfunded military or police any longer.
    Yeah, but if you give everyone a gun - it means everyone can kill you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty much everyone can kill you already, just not as easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dumbest logic ever and please grow up.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Pretty much everyone can kill you already, just not as easily.
    You get the point though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the main issues in Europe, censorship. Gun prohibition is one of the greatest mistakes ever made in the UK and is a major infringement on peoples right to defend themselves. We are basically a defenseless civilian population that is fully reliant on authorities for security, we have completely lost all of our freedom to a government bureaucracy. Everything from our education to healthcare is controlled by the government and now we lose our freedom of speech to special interest groups and the political correctness police who dictate speech. The law is simply a means to regulate peoples behavior and has nothing to do with what's right or justice anymore. It's time we took back our freedom to bear arms and defend ourselves from these terrorists/criminals, we can't rely on our underfunded military/police any longer.
    If

If you're able to say that without facing sanction from the state, it isn't a free speech issue. You're allowed to say it. thehistorybore is allowed to say that he finds it loathesome for you to do so in this context.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Dumbest logic ever and please grow up.
    Yeah I know, I just couldn't be bothered to come up with a proper response to that. It's as simple as; giving everyone a gun is stupidity at its highest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're able to say that without facing sanction from the state, it isn't a free speech issue. You're allowed to say it. thehistorybore is allowed to say that he finds it loathesome for you to do so in this context.
    You can't state something without being demonized and labelled by others. Special interest groups and organizations that form the political correctness police tell us what we can or cannot say. The media is biased and continues to censor peoples opinions on this topic, the media also plays a large role in the demonizing and labelling. In the UK and in many parts of Europe we don't live in a free speech society. Sanctions aren't the only way to restrict speech or censor individuals opinions.

ReputationRep:
    You can't state something without being demonized and labelled by others. Special interest groups and organizations that form the political correctness police tell us what we can or cannot say. The media is biased and continues to censor peoples opinions on this topic, the media also plays a large role in the demonizing and labelling. In the UK and in many parts of Europe we don't live in a free speech society. Sanctions aren't the only way to restrict speech or censor individuals opinions.
    "You can't state something without being demonized and labelled by others.": That's called someone disagreeing with you. You have freedom of speech. You don't have freedom from being criticised because what you say is a load of ****.

"Special interest groups and organizations that form the political correctness police tell us what we can or cannot say.": No, they sometimes campaign to show people how some things they say are actually damaging and encourage them not to. You are able to ignore them if you disagree without consequence.

"The media is biased and continues to censor peoples opinions on this topic, the media also plays a large role in the demonizing and labelling.": That's a general problem with the concept of "free press" as we have it. In a capitalist society that means you have a press that is obliged to try and make a profit, not put across a balanced point of view. You cannot change this without regulated the press, which still doesn't work so well: see how many people accuse the BBC of "bias" because the government's view of what is neutral and balanced doesn't match their own. Even then, some would claim that not allowing them to say whatever they like, balanced or not, print thousands of copies of it and sell it to people is an infringement of THEIR freedom of speech.

ReputationRep:
    "You can't state something without being demonized and labelled by others.": That's called someone disagreeing with you. You have freedom of speech. You don't have freedom from being criticised because what you say is a load of ****.

"Special interest groups and organizations that form the political correctness police tell us what we can or cannot say.": No, they sometimes campaign to show people how some things they say are actually damaging and encourage them not to. You are able to ignore them if you disagree without consequence.

"The media is biased and continues to censor peoples opinions on this topic, the media also plays a large role in the demonizing and labelling.": That's a general problem with the concept of "free press" as we have it. In a capitalist society that means you have a press that is obliged to try and make a profit, not put across a balanced point of view. You cannot change this without regulated the press, which still doesn't work so well: see how many people accuse the BBC of "bias" because the government's view of what is neutral and balanced doesn't match their own. Even then, some would claim that not allowing them to say whatever they like, balanced or not, print thousands of copies of it and sell it to people is an infringement of THEIR freedom of speech.
    As I've stated we don't have complete freedom of speech in this country and the political correctness police censors us and tells us what we can or cannot say. Anyway, back to the topic on gun prohibition which is one of the worst things to happen to this country. We are defenseless and completely reliant on authorities. If what happened in Paris were to happen in London the casualties would have been higher. Keep in mind the country was in high alert after the Charlie hebdo attacks and this still happened. We have to restore our right to bear arms and defend ourselves in this country if we are to prevent this from happening here. Plus the fact that gun prohibition is an infringement on our right to defend ourselves. What would you do if someone pulled out a knife or gun at you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Keep in mind the country was in high alert after the Charlie hebdo attacks and this still happened.
    Riiiight, so countries keep themselves on high alert even after 10 months...
    Also, being on high alert doesn't mean much if you don't have the intel to act on
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So you're saying that we need to get rid of these religions, but also that we do not? By your statement that Islam should be removed because it is a violent religion, you would support Hitler's attempts to wipe out the Jews, after all, that's a rather violent religion too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So What your basically saying is you would be happy for Islamic extremists to continue to attack the west and they we shouldn't take any action we should just let them get on with it ? I'm saying that we just cant not do anything we need to prevent ISIS and Extremism of all religions then , of course there are extremes of every religion that's why I'm fundamentally against all religions , if people are religious then fine so be it , it doesn't brother me but when people carry out disgusting attacks in the name of their religion I think we need to take direct action
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    So What your basically saying is you would be happy for Islamic extremists to continue to attack the west and they we shouldn't take any action we should just let them get on with it ? I'm saying that we just cant not do anything we need to prevent ISIS and Extremism of all religions then , of course there are extremes of every religion that's why I'm fundamentally against all religions , if people are religious then fine so be it , it doesn't brother me but when people carry out disgusting attacks in the name of their religion I think we need to take direct action
    Because trying to destroy somebody's beliefs always goes so well :rolleyes: From what you are saying you are fundamentally against anybody having any form of views.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.