• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    x
    :congrats: well said

(and well done for articulating your point so clearly and calmly - it can be so difficult to post calmly when you're dealing with someone who sees your current survival and existence as an academic discussion point and doesn't understand how much their words and attitudes hurt)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    It was just mentioned that they can't sit or stand for long periods of time. So unless they are flying, I don't really know what the hell they do during the day.

I don't know the ins and outs of the illness. Being colourblind wasn't mentioned, and also there might be a lot of success doing black and white photographs / shadow work.
    You really have no idea, do you? You're make a lot of ridiculous assumptions here.

You have no idea what I go. through on a daily basis. You probably have no idea what it's like to have to decide what you should do today based on whether you're going to be able to even read or even stay awake because the tablets the GP gives you make you so bloody tired. You probably have no idea what it's like having to ask your friend to leave early constantly because it's too noisy or because the lights are giving you migraine. You probably have no idea what it's like having to ask your friend to explain everything to you in simple terms again because you don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    :congrats: well said

(and well done for articulating your point so clearly and calmly - it can be so difficult to post calmly when you're dealing with someone who sees your current survival and existence as an academic discussion point and doesn't understand how much their words and attitudes hurt)
    To be honest, by this point I'm used to it. People don't want to accept that not everyone has the same abilities as them because people think that they 'did it all without help' because they tried hard enough and so anyone who hasn't had the same privileges as them must be lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You really have no idea, do you? You're make a lot of ridiculous assumptions here.

You have no idea what I go. through on a daily basis. You probably have no idea what it's like to have to decide what you should do today based on whether you're going to be able to even read or even stay awake because the tablets the GP gives you make you so bloody tired. You probably have no idea what it's like having to ask your friend to leave early constantly because it's too noisy or because the lights are giving you migraine. You probably have no idea what it's like having to ask your friend to explain everything to you in simple terms again because you don't understand.

I want to work. Not because I feel like I need to to be a worthwhile person. Not because people like you think I'm a scrounger. Not because I want more money. But because being able to hold down a job would mean I would be recovering. That there might be an end to this pain and darkness and fear. But pushing myself towards that too fast will only do damage.
    Thank God I don't know what you go through. I'm sure life is so difficult so hard etc etc.

Enjoy your day / your life.

And with regards to the tax I've paid to help contribute to your existence, you're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Thank God I don't know what you go through. I'm sure life is so difficult so hard etc etc.

And with regards to the tax I've paid to help contribute to your existence, you're welcome.
    You're disgusting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You're so mean

ReputationRep:
    Benefits should be less money. I know people on benefits happy on them and with no intention of looking for a job, it makes me completely sick! Job seeker's allowance should be the bare minimum, it should be almost impossible to live off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aear)
    Estimated cost of benefit fraud: £1.2 billion
    Estimated cost of tax evasion: £20 billion, at least

http://www.cas.org.uk/features/myth-...-benefit-fraud

I know which one if the problem and we need to worry about: the rich, not the poor.
    Lol beautiful.

ReputationRep:

The point I'm trying to make (I hope) is that a number of people who "cannot afford" certain things are due to their life style choices. Maybe that girl who back chatted teachers at school saying "I'll never use maths in my life" should have paid attention and got the grades, or that guy who would rather stay playing xbox than show up to his exams, should have realised his actions, or the guy who spends every Saturday night in A&E because he can't handle his drink. If things weren't so "readily given" then maybe there would be more respect for what we have got.
    You have such a bleak, and quite frankly limited, perspective.

So you are one of those people who thinks that poverty is the fault of the individual suffering it? Not systematic inequality?

ReputationRep:

Thanks for being the kind of person wants to make my life so much ****ing harder than it needs to be. In order to thank you properly for that you're welcome to suck my ****.

(Original post by maisieaa)
    Benefits should be less money. I know people on benefits happy on them and with no intention of looking for a job, it makes me completely sick! Job seeker's allowance should be the bare minimum, it should be almost impossible to live off.
    JSA is less than the ****ing bare minimum. Especially for under 25s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    It supposedly comes from Milton Friedman who is the wet dream of the current crop of world leaders. But they ignore a lot of what he said. The guy supported a negative income tax (you give money to people who do not earn enough to pay tax).
    I wet dream of him too. :love:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for being the kind of person wants to make my life so much ****ing harder than it needs to be. In order to thank you properly for that you're welcome to suck my ****.
    I thought you were a girl? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gryffindorian)

So you are one of those people who thinks that poverty is the fault of the individual suffering it? Not systematic inequality?
    Perhaps both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I thought you were a girl? :confused:
    Some girls have cocks.

ReputationRep:
    Some girls have cocks.
    Okkkkkkkkk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Perhaps both?
    I...was asking someone else, what they think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ron_trns)

Some of A some of B. These people act like they are the only ones who have felt such emotions or came from a poor background. Who hasn't worked with people who felt that way or self-harmed. They are everywhere these days, except not all of them retreat and crawl up to die. Which is exactly what benefits let them do.

There are some severely disabled people who need the help for sure but there are many more who don't and there are examples of them all over this topic. Having known plenty of others who suffered worse and stormed on imma have to say I have zero sympathy and plenty of others feel the same way. Only a matter of time.
    I was asking her; it wasn't an open-ended question. I want to know what her personal issue is...

Everyone knows it's "some of a and some of b," which is why I feel the need to probe stargirl since she seems to think it's all a.

There are certain benefits for disabled people.

My issue is stargirl's perception of the average citizen and why they struggle financially.

The obvious answer is employment. Without a job/career, no money. There are educated non "lazy" people who are unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Perhaps both?
    That's the point. Different people are on benefits for different reasons.

Some are lazy.
    Some are disabled.
    Some are unemployable.
    Some are depressed.
    Some try really hard to get a job but just haven't got one yet.

Etc. etc.

The problem is the same old same old when it comes to benefits or immigration or whatever - we tar everyone with the same brush, whether it's coming from one side of the argument or the other. We try and change it into a black and white situatrion whereas in reality it's all shades of grey (oo-eer missus...).

With all these systems that benefit people - the NHS, Jobseekers allowance and so forth, you will never form a system that doesn't have a certain amount of people that abuse it. That's a shrinkage that just has to be accepted.

What we have to be careful of is adjusting the system solely to account for fraudulent claimants. This is extremely harmful to the majority.

ReputationRep:

I've come across a lot of nasty pieces of work on this forum but I could at least console myself with the idea that they must be either sad little schoolboys trolling or CCHQ astroturfers. Your utter lack of shame or self-awareness makes it quite a bit worse.

Having a disabled brother and girlfriend, I would never wish disability on anyone, but you have run things very close indeed: if anyone needs to learn to eat their words in the cruellest way possible, it's you. Maybe you should get on to the office of Iain Duncan Smith for some work experience - he mightn't pay you though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warren95)
    Ok, I took that a bit too far. It just bugs me thats all
    Why does it bug you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.