The Student Room Group

Business Studies (BUSS 1, 2, 3 and 4):

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samm98
Noooo think I calculated £525 variable costs for the second question but then scribbled it out and changed it to £72 or something. Also for the market share one I wrote in billion not million, anyone know how many marks I'll lose for that? Also I only wrote one for and against with a conclusion for the last 15 because of timings fml i actually want to cry 😭😭😭

i know exactly how you feel. i think for the market size as long as you have written the formula and how to calculate it you could get up to 2 marks. i actually didnt realise it was in the 000, if i did i would of queston right so i did 129 ... really silly mistake
Original post by samm98
Ok thanks. I think I hopefully maxed out marks on definitions, the 10 marker, and probably a strong first 15 marker, with probably something like half the maths marks available with a 7 on the last 15 :/. I know it's hard to say but do you know what kind of grade I'd be looking at? Is an A still possible since it's around 41?

Assuming 7 for maths +10 for income budget +4 definitions +4 for temp worker question +10 1st 15 marker + something like 6 for second 15 marker you're around 40. I'd expect a B man, at the least a C! Not too shabby if you genuinely feel you did well on the 15 marker and definitions. Personally I've always found it easy to tell if an exam went really badly or well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by Narutoss
i know exactly how you feel. i think for the market size as long as you have written the formula and how to calculate it you could get up to 2 marks. i actually didnt realise it was in the 000, if i did i would of queston right so i did 129 ... really silly mistake

Yeah I did do that so hopefully still 2. I'm just so frustrated though aha. I revised quite hard for this and was all prepared for break even and the calculations (or so I thought!) and then I've probably missed out on an A which I really need for uni ffs. Guess I'm just gonna have to get a solid A in unit 2 now...
Reply 183
Original post by Paddythed
Assuming 7 for maths +10 for income budget +4 definitions +4 for temp worker question +10 1st 15 marker + something like 6 for second 15 marker you're around 40. I'd expect a B man, at the least a C! Not too shabby if you genuinely feel you did well on the 15 marker and definitions. Personally I've always found it easy to tell if an exam went really badly or well.

Thanks for calculating it all, I think I probably did end up with around a B because it went quite well otherwise apart from that maths muck up and the last 15. Wanted an A tbh but I'll have to get a solid one on unit 2 now. I'd forgotten there was a temp workers question. Think I defined a temporary worker and then said good because she can spend more time with her children or something like that (probably a bit weak tbh but i was struggling and linked happiness with productivity haha!) and disadvantage that they lack experience of the business that a full time employee would have and said the effects of that I think.
Original post by samm98
Yeah I did do that so hopefully still 2. I'm just so frustrated though aha. I revised quite hard for this and was all prepared for break even and the calculations (or so I thought!) and then I've probably missed out on an A which I really need for uni ffs. Guess I'm just gonna have to get a solid A in unit 2 now...

Sure you'll be fine. This unit 1 will give pretty good UMS for you I reckon, unit 2 should help just make sure you revise just as thoroughly as you did for unit 1 and you can easily hit that boundary.
Original post by samm98
Thanks for calculating it all, I think I probably did end up with around a B because it went quite well otherwise apart from that maths muck up and the last 15. Wanted an A tbh but I'll have to get a solid one on unit 2 now. I'd forgotten there was a temp workers question. Think I defined a temporary worker and then said good because she can spend more time with her children or something like that (probably a bit weak tbh but i was struggling and linked happiness with productivity haha!) and disadvantage that they lack experience of the business that a full time employee would have and said the effects of that I think.

The advantage is definitely some application, though seasonal demand might have helped too. Your disadvantage is decent, personally I put they may lack commitment to the business affecting reputation and quality of service negatively but eitherway, there's no wrong or right particularly so long as your answers are reasonable and well justified. I'd expect 3-4 on that by the sounds of it
Reply 186
The advantage is definitely some application, though seasonal demand might have helped too. Your disadvantage is decent, personally I put they may lack commitment to the business affecting reputation and quality of service negatively but eitherway, there's no wrong or right particularly so long as your answers are reasonable and well justified. I'd expect 3-4 on that by the sounds of it

Yeah you've got max marks there that was definitely what to write haha. Any tips on revising unit 2? I'm about to start and was just going to go through the CGP book highlighting and then reading some examiner reports before doing past papers. I've also made cue cards for the formulas, which btw do you know if they give any formulas in the exam I can't remember?
Original post by samm98
Yeah you've got max marks there that was definitely what to write haha. Any tips on revising unit 2? I'm about to start and was just going to go through the CGP book highlighting and then reading some examiner reports before doing past papers. I've also made cue cards for the formulas, which btw do you know if they give any formulas in the exam I can't remember?

Neither can I, they might, I can't remember. (check the first pages of a past paper that'll tell you) My circumstance was that I got a D and B so I only have retaken unit 1, the B was fairly average... Regardless my revision technique last year was extremely poor but I am willing to keep the B instead of increasing my workload unnecessarily, i'm safer since my uni adjusted my offer conveniently..

Personally, I write out the entire contents of a revision guide into a textbook, condensing a little bit. I then use post it notes to go back through my entire textbook to condense, correct mistakes etc. I do a lot of maths practise, and a week before the exam I start to smash out past papers. Learn the formulas off by heart and you should have way less problems, this is what I did for unit 1. However they are keen on making you do backwards workings and finding numbers etc, it depends on if you miss or get the point during the exam and get the correct answer.

So an example is that, for unit 1, I wrote out the entire course, post it noted my entire textbook to correct and condense, practised lots of maths and with a week to go sat with a mate and read aloud the entire course to practise and query each other. I also did 5-6 past papers just to make sure I definitely didn't mess it up again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 188
Neither can I, they might, I can't remember. (check the first pages of a past paper that'll tell you) My circumstance was that I got a D and B so I only have retaken unit 1, the B was fairly average... Regardless my revision technique last year was extremely poor but I am willing to keep the B instead of increasing my workload unnecessarily, i'm safer since my uni adjusted my offer conveniently..

Personally, I write out the entire contents of a revision guide into a textbook, condensing a little bit. I then use post it notes to go back through my entire textbook to condense, correct mistakes etc. I do a lot of maths practise, and a week before the exam I start to smash out past papers. Learn the formulas off by heart and you should have way less problems, this is what I did for unit 1. However they are keen on making you do backwards workings and finding numbers etc, it depends on if you miss or get the point during the exam and get the correct answer.

So an example is that, for unit 1, I wrote out the entire course, post it noted my entire textbook to correct and condense, practised lots of maths and with a week to go sat with a mate and read aloud the entire course to practise and query each other. I also did 5-6 past papers just to make sure I definitely didn't mess it up again.

I got 2 C's last year which is so annoying because obviously I have to re-take both haha. Yeah that sounds a good idea the only problem is unit 2 is in 4 days so I don't really have time to write out all the notes that's why I thought going through highlighting key bits of the CGP revision guide before doing past papers and then whatever I get wrong read up on. Anyway, good luck with the rest of your exams! 😊
Original post by samm98

do you think i will get no marks for the last question because i wrote option a and b instead of option 1 and 2
Original post by samm98
I got 2 C's last year which is so annoying because obviously I have to re-take both haha. Yeah that sounds a good idea the only problem is unit 2 is in 4 days so I don't really have time to write out all the notes that's why I thought going through highlighting key bits of the CGP revision guide before doing past papers and then whatever I get wrong read up on. Anyway, good luck with the rest of your exams! 😊

you too mate. on to ICT revision now... Just do your key bits, formulas and definitions...

Original post by Narutoss
do you think i will get no marks for the last question because i wrote option a and b instead of option 1 and 2

Mate I've tried to answer you on this, I need you tell me what you did. For that question on option one and two, did you still talk about locations? IF so, no marks. If you accidentally called options 1 and 2 A and B instead, but talked about the options in your essay, you'll get marks.
Reply 191
you too mate. on to ICT revision now... Just do your key bits, formulas and definitions...

Mate I've tried to answer you on this, I need you tell me what you did. For that question on option one and two, did you still talk about locations? IF so, no marks. If you accidentally called options 1 and 2 A and B instead, but talked about the options in your essay, you'll get marks.

Lol are you a teacher to be telling people what marks they're gonna be getting? Please stop making people worry even more. He'll most likely get marks if he referred to location at least once.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by imran_
Lol are you a teacher to be telling people what marks they're gonna be getting? Please stop making people worry even more. He'll most likely get marks if he referred to location at least once.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not, but if someone asks me I'm hardly going to ignore them am I? He has messaged me and left posts on my wall, I'm trying to offer him the best advice I can. I've not given people "Reasons to worry" and instead been very positive. IF someone expresses that they need an opinion on their performance, I'm going to give it.

In regards to no marks, if you give answers about a location when asked about legal structures... There's not much hope, let's be honest. Besides, he still hasn't yet answered my question about exactly what he's done.
(edited 7 years ago)
An overall good paper, with plenty of information to include within answers, from a teachers point of view I was happy that my students would have had information to develop good application!
Reply 194
Original post by business teacher
An overall good paper, with plenty of information to include within answers, from a teachers point of view I was happy that my students would have had information to develop good application!

what level would I reach for calculating both budgeted profits and comparing them together for the last question?
Original post by imran_
what level would I reach for calculating both budgeted profits and comparing them together for the last question?

If you have managed to compare them and they are correct this would move you into GAP which is level 3 - 7 marks.

you can also earn evaluation marks for working out the difference between the two profits and saying which one is better this would allow you to move into E2.
Reply 196
If you have managed to compare them and they are correct this would move you into GAP which is level 3 - 7 marks.

you can also earn evaluation marks for working out the difference between the two profits and saying which one is better this would allow you to move into E2.

thank you, what about the location question. I did not work out break even or any other form of calculations. However I did mention qualitative factors e.g. more conviennant for customers in the shopping centre due to having access to more parking facilities
Original post by imran_
thank you, what about the location question. I did not work out break even or any other form of calculations. However I did mention qualitative factors e.g. more conviennant for customers in the shopping centre due to having access to more parking facilities

there is no requirement to use the Break even in this question it would just be a benefit for you if you as it move you up the marks bands quicker, it is ok to use just qualitative but the best answers would have shown recommendations based on qualitative and quantitative application.
Reply 198
there is no requirement to use the Break even in this question it would just be a benefit for you if you as it move you up the marks bands quicker, it is ok to use just qualitative but the best answers would have shown recommendations based on qualitative and quantitative application.

yeah I spoke about fixed costs and high population = greater chances of revenue etc
Are there any predictions for the BUSS2 paper on tuesday?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending