The Student Room Group

Biology help

Scroll to see replies

I hope everyone is enjoying a night off, meanwhile I'm here on a friday night revising neuroscience, which is making me feel like I've got hydrocephalus #nobrainnogain
Original post by AortaStudyMore
If anyone would like to see my personal statement to get an idea of what one looks like, then just let me know, or I could just post it on here, I'll have to check if there's nothing too personal in there though first!
This would be really useful to me as a hopeful applicant!
Hey do u have any BIOL5 essays that u did or were given if yes then can u plz dm them to me
Thankz
Original post by girl :D
Hey do u have any BIOL5 essays that u did or were given if yes then can u plz dm them to me
Thankz

Afraid not, I only did like 1, maybe 2, and they'll have definitely been thrown out when I cleared my room before uni! Sorry
Afraid not, I only did like 1, maybe 2, and they'll have definitely been thrown out when I cleared my room before uni! Sorry

Its fine no probs
WHYY is using a dehydrating agent wrong here :frown:
the ms says heat unit mass is constanttt
btw any tips on doing q 2 in unit 3b!! my exam is tomorrow and my marks are still not so high in it :frown:
Original post by pondsteps

Oh goodness, you're better off asking someone who does chemistry! Erm, as far I can remember, dehydrating agents tend to remove OH's from molecules, which is not the same as removing water of crystallisation (which are full water molecules surrounding another molecule). <--- that may all be wrong, I didn't do this at A-level, not in much detail, and unfortunately I'm too busy to do too much research on it, but maybe someone will be kind enough to explain it here for you, and if not, then try another forum.

Sorry! :frown:
Reply 188
Original post by pondsteps

Dehydrating agent removes water from a molecule by a chemical change (H3PO3 can sometimes act as one tho i can't think of any specific reaction atm)
where as Drying agent removes water by a physical change. Example being when you add MgSo4 to cyclohexene in the preperation of cyclohexene from cyclohexanol the mixture goes from milky to clear. (MgSo4 is added after washing the mixture with dilute Na2CO3 which is added to remove any Acid) In the case of drying agents they should be anhydrous before being added to the mixture.
When you are obtaining an anhydrous salt the only thing you can do to ensure all water of crystallization has been removed is to heat and reweigh until you get the same consecutive mass twice. which is what i assume they mean when they say Heat to constant mass.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JOY33
Dehydrating agent removes water from a molecule by a chemical change (H3PO3 can sometimes act as one tho i can't think of any specific reaction atm)
where as Drying agent removes water by a physical change. Example being when you add MgSo4 to cyclohexene in the preperation of cyclohexene from cyclohexanol the mixture goes from milky to clear. (MgSo4 is added after washing the mixture with dilute Na2CO3 which is added to remove any Acid) In the case of drying agents they should be anhydrous before being added to the mixture.
When you are obtaining an anhydrous salt the only thing you can do to ensure all water of crystallization has been removed is to heat and reweigh until you get the same consecutive mass twice. which is what i assume they mean when they say Heat to constant mass.

ohhh I see what you mean.. so we kind of use the dehydrating agent but there are steps following it in order to remove water of crystalization.. thanks a lot
Hey Aorta,

I was wondering if you could help me with standard deviation. I understand that if the SD bars overlap on a graph, there is no significant difference. I just don't understand how to see if the SD overlap when they give them as pure numbers, such as 0.55 ± 0.32 and 1.30 ± 0.88. Would those overlap, and how do I figure if they do or not?
Reply 191
Original post by dyezrawna
Hey Aorta,

I was wondering if you could help me with standard deviation. I understand that if the SD bars overlap on a graph, there is no significant difference. I just don't understand how to see if the SD overlap when they give them as pure numbers, such as 0.55 ± 0.32 and 1.30 ± 0.88. Would those overlap, and how do I figure if they do or not?

You use a calculator to calculate these values as in 0.55+0.32 and 0.55-0.32 and same for the other so, you'll see that these values 0.55+0.32 and 1.30-0.88 overlap!
Original post by Aimen.
You use a calculator to calculate these values as in 0.55+0.32 and 0.55-0.32 and same for the other so, you'll see that these values 0.55+0.32 and 1.30-0.88 overlap!

I still don't understand how 0.42 and 0.87 overlap (the answers from what you just said). :frown:
Hey Aorta,

Yh so as has already been said, 0.55+0.32 = 0.87 and 1.30-0.88 = 0.42, if you imagine plotting these values on a graph, 0.87 would be the top of the error bar for the 0.55 mean and 0.42 would be the bottom of the error bar for the 1.30 mean, 0.42 is clearly less than 0.87, so that would mean the bottom of the bar would be below the top of the other bar, which means they overlap
Reply 194
Yh so as has already been said, 0.55+0.32 = 0.87 and 1.30-0.88 = 0.42, if you imagine plotting these values on a graph, 0.87 would be the top of the error bar for the 0.55 mean and 0.42 would be the bottom of the error bar for the 1.30 mean, 0.42 is clearly less than 0.87, so that would mean the bottom of the bar would be below the top of the other bar, which means they overlap

That's exactly what I wanted to say! :colondollar:
I still don't understand how 0.42 and 0.87 overlap (the answers from what you just said). :frown:

If you're unsure then plot it on a graph, draw 2 bars representing the means, and then do mean + SD to represent the top of one bar and mean - SD to represent the bottom of the bar for each bar, and you'll see there is some quite major overlap!
Original post by DoyouEden?
Hey I am currebtly doing the new spec OCR A as level biology and I understand the work it's just I cant apply it very well and I was wondering if you could give me some tips for the exam? Every oast paper I've done I only get C's and once I did get a B but the thing is I know all of the details it's just when it comes to applying the knowledge in exams I can't do it very well :frown:

Eden Hazaaaaaaaarrddd!
If you're unsure then plot it on a graph, draw 2 bars representing the means, and then do mean + SD to represent the top of one bar and mean - SD to represent the bottom of the bar for each bar, and you'll see there is some quite major overlap!

How much did you pay for medic school? Like, do you even have to pay or anything? :smile:
Reply 198
Hey, I know that's an awkward question but how do you delete a thread in here?

What should i do when its like that in an exam like this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending